Lesser Known Gaming Systems

the N64DD

not a full console but an extension that had more memory. never came state side. had internet capability and a few games. overall a failure.

If you like that kind of stuff check out DF Retro.

I remember the Q. It was only sold in Japan (Panasonic also made a TV with a built-in SNES).
Media Play once had the Philips CD-i for sale and a playable unit with some FMV game (of course) called Chaos Control.

Probably. Got it at toys r us and continued to shop there. I am actually thinking about a shitty game on the system amd the closest I can come to is Keith Courage.

Keith Courage in Alpha Zone or Bonk ?

Turbo Graphix 16 was probably the most under rated console ever.

They had killer sports games, action n racing games.

Turbo Graphix 16 was probably the most under rated console ever.

They had killer sports games, action n racing games.
I saw a documentary about it recently. Apparently was a bit ahead of its time, and couldn't compete with Sega.

While not a system, I had a Sega Channel when I was a kid. Most people have never even heard of it, but it was amazing.

I also had a sega cd, which was a regretful request as it was awful.
I remember the Sega Channel. My neighbor had it. It was awesome. I also had Sega Cd and while yeah it was mostly shit it had a few decent games. Sonic, CD, Silpheed was awesome, I also loved Sewer Shark back in the day

Had a friend who had one of these

cdx05.jpg

It was essentially a sega genesis and sega cd in a what seemed impossibly tiny package (for the time)

I remember the Sega Channel. My neighbor had it. It was awesome. I also had Sega Cd and while yeah it was mostly shit it had a few decent games. Sonic, CD, Silpheed was awesome, I also loved Sewer Shark back in the day
What exactly was the Sega Channel? How did it work?

What exactly was the Sega Channel? How did it work?
If i remember correctly you payed a monthly fee and you would log in and they would have games you could play for that month. Then th next month the games would rotate. It was years ahead of its time.

Edit: you needed to buy harware for it

Last edited:
If i remember correctly you payed a monthly fee and you would log in and they would have games you could play for that month. Then th next month the games would rotate. It was years ahead of its time.
So, was it through the internet? I looked into it a bit, but it made it seem as though it was actually through the co-ax for your cable. This makes sense, as most people during that time didn't the same internet capabilities as today, most people still had up. Playing games through the cable sounds weird though.

So, was it through the internet? I looked into it a bit, but it made it seem as though it was actually through the co-ax for your cable. This makes sense, as most people during that time didn't the same internet capabilities as today, most people still had up. Playing games through the cable sounds weird though.
I posted a video above. It looks like it came through the coax cable. The hardware would download the game but would lose it once you shut it off. This was pre-broadband. They also had demos of new games and prizes you could win for completing games in a certain amount of time. They'd give you a code and you would call a hotline. There was nothing like it at the time

Sega Channel was basically a smaller scale version of Netflix, but with genesis games. It was essentially a coax cable modem (at a time when even dialup was exceptionally rare) that you plugged into your genesis and when you turned it on, you would have a simple interface with a list of a dozen themes, and when you selected a theme it would be a list of a dozen games (those amounts may be off, this was over 20 years ago so I dont remember exactly). The genres and games would rotate monthly, and you COULD save games if you didnt download a new one. (Although this was something most people didnt know about). There were even game demos of stuff that hadnt came out yet.

In all honesty I still to this day dont understand how it didnt make a bigger impact.. it was truly a glimpse into the future and many people (even hardcore gamers) never heard of it.

Back