Leslie Smith vs. Aspen Ladd Close to Being Cancelled

Smith is on a two fight win streak, one of which was FOTN. No reason for her to be in any danger of being cut, especially in the shallow 135 division. Ladd needs to be taught a lesson though, she has a history of not making weight and has no excuse for coming in over the limit. She certainly shouldn't be allowed to keep any potential win bonus and people are saying that 9 of the last 10 fatties have actually picked up the win, disgraceful.

I'm fairly certain if you miss weight, you're not eligible for bonuses

I wonder if she just assumed they weren't going to resign her. If so, she gives the UFC a bit of a 'fuck you' by not accepting the fight on her way out the door.

If that was her intention, then the UFC comes off better than she does here by giving her the win bonus when they didn't have to. They didn't terminate their relationship with her with a 'fuck you'.

Fitch was "cut" for an elapsed time of less than 24 hours... does that even count? He fought in the UFC nine times after that "cut".

http://mmajunkie.com/2008/11/report-jon-fitch-will-sign-videogame-agreement-returns-to-ufc
Because he caved and signed the agreement. Smith is nowhere near the high profile fighter Fitch was, her contract is expiring, and she is the spokesperson for Project Spearhead? I don't see why it's so difficult to admit she would likely get cut if she lost.

Actually it's fighters cutting ridiculous amounts of weight that makes fighters fail to make weight.
Absolutely!
Just think it seems to be more common now that fighters fail making weight.

So I matched for Ladd when I was the matchmaker at TuffNuff.... this "female complications" is a frequent excuse with her. She's a very good fighter, and I sympathize.... but maybe it just isn't the weightclass for her.

Not taking the fight might get her cut anyway. It's known that Dana doesn't like people turning down fights. My prediction is that she gets cut win or lose after her last fight on her contract.

well, but this woman took a fight against Cyborg when none wanted it.

So I matched for Ladd when I was the matchmaker at TuffNuff.... this "female complications" is a frequent excuse with her. She's a very good fighter, and I sympathize.... but maybe it just isn't the weightclass for her.
More likely she needs to manage her weight better? She's a shorty (well, not by average women standards, but I mean she isn't tall for a BW).

If that was her intention, then the UFC comes off better than she does here by giving her the win bonus when they didn't have to. They didn't terminate their relationship with her with a 'fuck you'.

Thats a valid point. Since the UFC isnt really known for their financial generosity with their fighters, I wonder if Smith had the foresight to have that in her contract/bout agreement. If I'm remembering correctly, Ladd moved up from 125 as that weight was too hard to make.

I agree, but she probably sees it as a short-sighted decision. One pay day vs. many more she'd get staying in the UFC.

well that worked out for her didnt it :D

Her bout will likely never make or break any PPV card.

Take the money and beat her ass. I heard they can't cut fighters if the opponent comes in over weight.

that not true. ufc would of said after they weren't resigning her so it not cutting her.

Back