Leslie Smith vs. Aspen Ladd Close to Being Cancelled

Kenny here,

Sorry if I offend anyone but I would like to know what "female circumstances" are?

It is sex related?

lol. I'm a little embarrassed for asking...
She's blaming her period for not being able to lose enough water weight. Every female athlete should know they'll have to diet off more weight if potentially competing during periods because they won't be capable of dehydrating as much. Aspen simply didn't diet off enough to compensate.

Smith is a borderline can, her claim to semi-relevance at best (but realistically still complete non-relevance) was getting clobbered by a roid monster.

Cancel the fight, fire Smith and give Ladd someone else on the next card.

Nothing of value would be lost.
Ladd missed weight but Smith should be fired and Ladd immediately given another fight? Doesn't sound right...

I have no problem with a fighter refusing to accept $$$ to allow an opponent to compete without making weight.

criticizing the fighter who DID THEIR JOB and made weight is ridiculous...everyone should reserve their ire for the fighter who failed to meet their contractual obligations.

IMHO, fighters who miss weight should have to compensate their opponents regardless of whether the fight goes on or not, at least to cover camp expenses.

Lol @ people thinking she wasn't in a position to get cut because she is coming off of wins. Ask Jon Fitch, Jake Shields, Okami, and Jon Madsen about the transparent/fair cut policy.

Smith being on the last fight of her contract, associated with Project Spearhead, and coming off a loss? Yeah... she's bulletproof

This thread was a lot more fun than any Leslie Smith or Aspen Ladd fight Ive seen. Liked the argument between the enigma guy and the fighter guy with the insults.

On topic I would say that Im fine with fighters not accepting opponents coming in overweight. I personally think any card is better without this fight than with it, but I also get how some people may be disappointed.

Ladd missed weight by 1.8. Smith turned down the 20%. Ladd's camp offered an additional 5,000. Smith still says no. It's the final fight on her contract and with her heading Project Spearhead, I doubt she wants to take any chances.

ufc paid her to go be someone else problem going forward.

Lol @ people thinking she wasn't in a position to get cut because she is coming off of wins. Ask Jon Fitch, Jake Shields, Okami, and Jon Madsen about the transparent/fair cut policy.

Smith being on the last fight of her contract, associated with Project Spearhead, and coming off a loss? Yeah... she's bulletproof

She's not coming off of a loss, she's coming off of wins: a TKO victory and a FOTN victory. Has any other fighter followed up a FOTN victory with a TKO victory and then been cut (unless for some very serious misconduct)? A FOTN award is a big investment ($50,000.00) to put into a fighter, only to then turn around and cut her (and without even one subsequent loss).

Disappointed in both these girls. Ladd, make fucking weight! Smith, just take the damn fight it's less than 2 lbs!

She's not coming off of a loss, she's coming off of wins: a TKO victory and a FOTN victory. Has any other fighter followed up a FOTN victory with a TKO victory and then been cut (unless for some very serious misconduct)? A FOTN award is a big investment ($50,000.00) to put into a fighter, only to then turn around and cut her (and without even one subsequent loss).
Read. I acknowledged that she is coming off of wins but implied that she would be cut with a loss.

And yes, Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC coming off of a MAIN EVENT TITLE FIGHT that won fight of the night over a dispute over a freakin video game so yes, Smith getting cut after a loss under current circumstances would not at all be unusual

I wonder if she just assumed they weren't going to resign her. If so, she gives the UFC a bit of a 'fuck you' by not accepting the fight on her way out the door.

Read. I acknowledged that she is coming off of wins but implied that she would be cut with a loss.

And yes, Jon Fitch got cut from the UFC coming off of a MAIN EVENT TITLE FIGHT that won fight of the night over a dispute over a freakin video game so yes, Smith getting cut after a loss under current circumstances would not at all be unusual

Well, evidently she's done with her UFC contract per Ariel a few posts up.

She probably thinks losing may cost her her job. I doubt her speaking out publicly about pay issues in the UFC is making her bosses very happy.

Surprised this needs to be explained.

I don't think contracts work quite that way. Contracts sometimes stipulate things that won't actually hold up in court if challenged (like non-compete clauses in California, for example). I expect that the commission is involved in matters regarding overweight fighters, as they can themselves keep a fight from happening if the amount of weight is large enough. If the commission says Smith can decline, and the UFC fires her after she declines, then I think that the UFC will have gotten itself into big legal trouble no matter what the contract may stipulate.

This may well be related to why they gave her the win bonus. But I think it's important to note that they aren't cutting Smith. The contract was completed. No commission can require the UFC to sign a new contract with Smith over this.

Back