Leslie Smith vs. Aspen Ladd Close to Being Cancelled

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

Ladd missed weight by 1.8. Smith turned down the 20%. Ladd's camp offered an additional 5,000. Smith still says no. It's the final fight on her contract and with her heading Project Spearhead, I doubt she wants to take any chances.

How would her losing harm her Project Spearhead involvement much considering she is already known as a gatekeeper at best?

How would her losing harm her Project Spearhead involvement much considering she is already known as a gatekeeper at best?
She probably thinks losing may cost her her job. I doubt her speaking out publicly about pay issues in the UFC is making her bosses very happy.

But for fuck sake.
Really liked that fight.
Early weight-ins seems to make more fighters to fail make weight.

She probably thinks losing may cost her her job. I doubt her speaking out publicly about pay issues in the UFC is making her bosses very happy.
Ah, I was thinking about it the wrong way that she might fear a loss would affect her clout as spokeswoman.

She'll be making an extra $5000 + 20% though.

Take the money

Ah, I was thinking about it the wrong way that she might fear a loss would affect her credibility as spokeswoman.
Nah more likely her job security. With a loss she may find herself in Bellator. Sucks that this fight isn't going to happen. It was a reallly good matchup between two strikers.

tumblr_lxx7w0aNOX1r3251wo1_500.gif

With Smith's past can't call her scared...but not taking the fight isn't going to help in contract negotiations either.

Take the money
I agree, but she probably sees it as a short-sighted decision. One pay day vs. many more she'd get staying in the UFC.

shit my GF likes women fights, I hope it doesn't get cancelled

It will always go back to the sponsorships. If she had sponsors looking to plaster ads all over her for a few seconds of TV time, she would 100% be fighting.

I agree, but she probably sees it as a short-sighted decision. One pay day vs. many more she'd get staying in the UFC.
If she doesn’t accept, and loses her next one she is out 100%, accepting and losing might earn her another one, but could easily not be enough

Coin flip decision

She is 10-7 is not like she is undefeated or in a crazy streak, she might likely losses his next fight, I don't think this will do any good for her

Smith is on a two fight win streak, one of which was FOTN. No reason for her to be in any danger of being cut, especially in the shallow 135 division. Ladd needs to be taught a lesson though, she has a history of not making weight and has no excuse for coming in over the limit. She certainly shouldn't be allowed to keep any potential win bonus and people are saying that 9 of the last 10 fatties have actually picked up the win, disgraceful.

Bitch take the money

Maybe she’s lookin at the bigger picture? You’re the broke bitch couch potato that doesn’t fight so watch your mouth

If she doesn’t accept, and loses her next one she is out 100%, accepting and losing might earn her another one, but could easily not be enough

Coin flip decision

To her team, it is probably an obvious choice. If she had a bad cut and made weight, and her opponent was within 2 lbs and then quit to preserve strength, then taking the fight would be a terrible decision.

Take the money and beat her ass. I heard they can't cut fighters if the opponent comes in over weight.

Ah, I was thinking about it the wrong way that she might fear a loss would affect her clout as spokeswoman.

Wouldn't Smith being released from the UFC hurt her clout as a spokeswoman? She has only one fight left on her contract. Doesn't being handed a legit excuse not to accept the fight because of the missed weight prolong her contracted stay in the UFC at least until another fight can scheduled and held?

Back