Lemieux Will Be Keeping Close Eye on Cotto, Ringtv confirms Dec 2nd as a possible date

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Former IBF middleweight champion David Lemieux (38-3, 33 KOs) will be keep a close eye on the comeback of Miguel Cotto, which takes place in less than two weeks time.

Cotto, a four division world champion, will return to the ring on August 26th, when he faces Yoshihiro Kamegai for the vacant WBO junior middleweight title at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

The bout will be Cotto's first since suffering a twelve round decision loss to Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in November 2015.

lemieux-cotto.jpg

Both Cotto and Lemieux have a working relationship with Golden Boy Promotions.

If he wins, Cotto is planning to return on a date in December - which he maintains will be the final ring appearance of his professional career.

Camille Estephan, the manager of Lemieux, is hoping his boxer lands that fall opportunity with the Puerto Rican superstar.

"Cotto has a fight on August 26 in California, and he has to win and he has to look good. In December, we are hoping for Cotto to fight against Lemieux," Estephan told TVA Sports.

"We have to make several plans, but we are in a situation where Cotto wants the big fights and David Lemieux is recognized as one of the three best middleweights in the world. [The three best are] (Gennady) Golovkin, Canelo (Alvarez) and Lemieux. "

Speaking of Golovkin and Canelo, the two men are scheduled to collide on September 16 in Las Vegas, and the International Boxing Organization (IBO), International Boxing Federation (IBF), World Boxing Council (WBC), International Boxing Organization (IBO) and World Boxing Association (WBA) middleweight titles, all owned by Golovkin, will be at stake.

It is obvious that Lemieux and his team are following that fight closely - because they hope to get a fight against the winner, especially if that winner is Canelo.

"We are riding with David in the Cadillac, as they say," Estephan explained. "He's one of the most popular guys in the world in the middleweight division, certainly in Quebec, so he's going to be [looking for the winner of] this fight ... against Canelo, I hope."

NOt doubting Cotto's balls, but that is one hell of a going away fight. Its not even a passing of the torch fight, it would just be a dangerous fight against a bigger man and a proven KO puncher.... I have my doubts that this would come to fruition.
if it did though i would love this match.
Fuck it cotton war wagon if this happens put Lemi to sleep in montreal.

Lemieux would be quite the opponent to take on considering Cotto's age and the fact that Lemieux already has some issues getting down to MW (making any catchweight likely too much for Lemieux to make). I'd be surprised if it materializes.

Cotto will box Lemi's ears off.

Won't happen. David is too big of a risk for too little of a payoff. Cotto always wants the biggest money fights possible and he will avoid David just like he avoided GGG but he won't need to pay step aside money to David.

Won't happen. David is too big of a risk for too little of a payoff. Cotto always wants the biggest money fights possible and he will avoid David just like he avoided GGG but he won't need to pay step aside money to David.
Dont think Lemi poses anywhere near the threat that Golovkin did.

What's the source? It's really poor form to steal someone else's work without attribution.

Dont think Lemi poses anywhere near the threat that Golovkin did.
You really see cotto boxing Lemieux for 12 rounds to a decision? I think there's more chance Lemieux flattens cotto.

This would be dumb for Cotto. He wins and he beats a flawed but dangerous fighter who no one will remember in 10 years. He loses and he likely gets KOd and ends his career on a down note.

You really see cotto boxing Lemieux for 12 rounds to a decision? I think there's more chance Lemieux flattens cotto.
Yes. Cotto is widely more skilled and I dont think Lemi can land consistently enough.
This would be dumb for Cotto. He wins and he beats a flawed but dangerous fighter who no one will remember in 10 years. He loses and he likely gets KOd and ends his career on a down note.
Taking out a top ranked killer for your last fight would be a huge victory though. And if he loses, he lost to a top contender.

Yes. Cotto is widely more skilled and I dont think Lemi can land consistently enough.

Taking out a top ranked killer for your last fight would be a huge victory though. And if he loses, he lost to a top contender.
you sound quite confidant.
what if i told you Lemi was training in Colorado Springs... Thats right, Colorado Springs.

That's a risky but enticing fight for me as a Cotto fan. It's not a superstar name but there aren't a lot of those left available for Miguel.

At this point Cotto ain't trying to fight any big hitters. He hasn't for awhile actually.

He's trying to pick Cotto's bones, if fight happens, I hope Cotto stops Lemi.

GGG looked like a great boxer against Lemmy, It's not far fetched for Cotto to do the same but being out boxed by GGG is not a good look.

Back