Lemieux vs Stevens....no grappling allowed

I just rewatched the fight and I didn't see Lemieux gassed. I don't think he could keep that pace up for 12 rounds, but he wasn't going to. Curtis wasn't going down easy so David settled himself. I think that lulled Stevenson into a false sense of security. Then whammy. But David didn't spend himself in the first two rounds.

That said, I think it's fine if people are still critical of the performance in general. Having seen it I think Dave beats Curtis 19/20 times. But he still showed weaknesses that elite level fighters will - and have - capitalized on. And Lemieux was able to capitalize on weaknesses of Stevenson that those other fighters don't exhibit.

But still, a good performance by a top middleweight all in all. Jacobs, Canelo, Golovkin, etc. still beat him but he shows that he at least belongs in the middleweight discussion.

there's no point going on this just because one person disagrees with you. Lemieux was doing a lot wrong that got ignored because the argument that he was gassed after the first.

How about jabbing and throwing punches at the same speed all fight. how about no head movment and allowing stevens to load up on shots. Lemiuex was much more skilled than Stevens or some would argue landed a lucky shot. he threw a mediocre straight right knowing that stevens would throw a left. and then put all of his weight into the left hook.

he wouldnt be able to do that vs a higher skilled guy but... there arent many higher skileld guys out there at this weight weak weak 160.

there's no point going on this just because one person disagrees with you.

Meh you're making too much of this Seano thing. It's not some big deal, disagreeing with him. You can do it without making it all about him.

I just rewatched the fight and I didn't see Lemieux gassed. I don't think he could keep that pace up for 12 rounds, but he wasn't going to. Curtis wasn't going down easy so David settled himself. I think that lulled Stevenson into a false sense of security. Then whammy. But David didn't spend himself in the first two rounds.

That said, I think it's fine if people are still critical of the performance in general. Having seen it I think Dave beats Curtis 19/20 times. But he still showed weaknesses that elite level fighters will - and have - capitalized on. And Lemieux was able to capitalize on weaknesses of Stevenson that those other fighters don't exhibit.

But still, a good performance by a top middleweight all in all. Jacobs, Canelo, Golovkin, etc. still beat him but he shows that he at least belongs in the middleweight discussion.
Spot on

David was just being David last night, it would turned into Curtis' favor if it went into the later rounds but as I mentioned, DL did what he does best

i think some of lemieux performance was based off of his opposition; stevens let david get started and when that happens he is very tough to beat; esp when you don't have the activity or durability to match him.

golovkin got off early, boxing him; an never let him into the fight, then dropping the hammer w/efficient and consistent power punches leading to the stoppage.

stevens didnt let his hands go and make his power something david had to address until after lemieux had gotten into an offensive rhythm hurt stevens and gotten his confidence going. By then it was a uphill battle and stevenson isnt great at those, esp when facing a certain caliber of opponent.

he should have been strafing the body and working that uppercut hook combo inside; he did so intermittently but not w/the consistency necessary to TURN the fight by maximizing his power by being more active...

its kind of a trend for stevens when he steps up in competition.. david performed well fought smart and controlled pace and location of the fight.

stevens did good..but didnt work enough imo

Lemieux is a tremendously talented puncher. He can throw powerful shots with speed and control like very few guys can. As he becomes a more seasoned pro he is going to be a force to be reckoned with. I'd like to see him fight Canelo at 160, that would be fireworks.

It is almost funny how quickly a deadly puncher like Lemieux can be neutralized against a talented boxer like ggg though. Where was all that speed and power in that fight? Lol.
Canelo would pound the pissed out of him.

Brutal KO. I love Lemeiux's style. Not very skillful, just comes out banging to the head and body. He's a home-run hitter for sure. Entertaining KO artist.

I am pretty sure Canelo would beat the shit out of David Lemieux, being the far superior boxer of the two. Canelo is very defensively sound, I think he is smart enough to not stand there and let Lemeiux tee off on him like Curtis did. But then again, Kirkland tee'd off on him against the ropes a bit, and Kirkland is not the fighter Lemieux is.

So yeah, I'd predict Canelo by TKO, but I'd love to see that fight.

The Canelo hype is insane. Again, he's never beat a good fighter his own size cleanly, let alone dominated one. He couldn't even finish a blown up WW who was beat to a pulp by a blown up LW years ago.

I am pretty sure Canelo would beat the shit out of David Lemieux, being the far superior boxer of the two. Canelo is very defensively sound, I think he is smart enough to not stand there and let Lemeiux tee off on him like Curtis did. But then again, Kirkland tee'd off on him against the ropes a bit, and Kirkland is not the fighter Lemieux is.

So yeah, I'd predict Canelo by TKO, but I'd love to see that fight.

The two styles will make for a really fun fight. Lemieux is going to try and power forward all night while Alvarez is trying to catch him coming in and between punches. Lots of body punching by both guys. I wanted that fight when they made the Khan bout, I think it's a good test against a big puncher who has a style Saul can capitalize on.

i think some of lemieux performance was based off of his opposition; stevens let david get started and when that happens he is very tough to beat; esp when you don't have the activity or durability to match him.

golovkin got off early, boxing him; an never let him into the fight, then dropping the hammer w/efficient and consistent power punches leading to the stoppage.

stevens didnt let his hands go and make his power something david had to address until after lemieux had gotten into an offensive rhythm hurt stevens and gotten his confidence going. By then it was a uphill battle and stevenson isnt great at those, esp when facing a certain caliber of opponent.

he should have been strafing the body and working that uppercut hook combo inside; he did so intermittently but not w/the consistency necessary to TURN the fight by maximizing his power by being more active...

its kind of a trend for stevens when he steps up in competition.. david performed well fought smart and controlled pace and location of the fight.

stevens did good..but didnt work enough imo

Yeah once David got rolling it was hard to stop. One thing I noticed was that Curtis was freezing in place whenever he caught a jab on his gloves clean. He wasn't catching and throwing, just stiffening out like he was anticipating the hammer to fall afterward. He would eventually return fire but not quickly enough to give David much to worry about. I think he was just more worried about not getting hurt than he was hurting Lemieux, and missed opportunities to give Lemieux second thoughts.

I just think he's a front-running pretty boy who doesn't take the sport seriously. Just my opinion.

Floyd's a pretty boy but wasn't a front runner. Got something against pretty men? I didn't think so.

Lemieux is a tough win for all but the elite IMO. Granted he got pounded by GGG, but in all fairness everyone does. He's got bombs in both hands and a good chin it seems.. I think his main weakness is his conditioning and fight IQ. That said I think he'd be close to 50/50 against most of the top at 160 outside of GGG.

The Canelo hype is insane. Again, he's never beat a good fighter his own size cleanly, let alone dominated one. He couldn't even finish a blown up WW who was beat to a pulp by a blown up LW years ago.

People thinking Canelo beats the shit out of Lemieux does not suggest his hype is insane. Lemieux doesn't have anything in common with fighters who have given Canelo problems in the past and his style plays right into Canelo's strengths. Against full sized MWs who are genuinely good he is a question mark (I wouldn't take Canelo over Golovkin or Jacobs), but Lemieux isn't that good. He might not stop Lemieux early and maybe he wouldn't even stop him, but Lemieux would take a bad beating.

Back