Legs Day

mantis_fist

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What does your legs day consist of? Which exercises, sets, and reps?

Mine now (once a week):

1. Leg press: 4 sets, 10 reps minimum (heavy)
2. Calf raises: 4 sets, 15 reps minimum
3. Leg extensions: 4 sets, 10 reps minimum (heavy)
4. Squats (2 45s): 4 sets, 15 minimum reps

I don't do squats anymore... but when I did, my leg days consisted of some combination of...

squats
front squats
good mornings
rdl''s
kettlebell swings

I don't do squats anymore... but when I did, my leg days consisted of some combination of...

squats
front squats
good mornings
rdl''s
kettlebell swings

I'll see your combo leg day and raise you GHR

I've actually written them in my program. I saw someone doing a eccentric GHR, where they get in a ghetto GHR, push themselves up then lower themselves slowly.

Deads/squats 5x5 or 531
Front squats 4x4-6
Angled leg press 4x4-6
Calf press 4x8-10
Glute ham / Rdl 4x6-10
Ab work 3x8-12

If its a hypertrophy day then the assistance that's 4-6 are 8-12

Squats - depends but generally something like 5x5, 6x3 etc

Glute kick
Leg curl
Squat jumps
Box jumps

I don't have any "legs days".

iu

I run full body workouts, but for legs I typically do Box Squats, Front Squats, Trap DL, Power Cleans and Split Squats/Back Ext/GHR as assistance.

- Squats
- Hamstring curls
You have luck with hamstring curls? I like them for size but honestly when I first started learning to dead lift I found out that they werent particularly helpful

You have luck with hamstring curls? I like them for size but honestly when I first started learning to dead lift I found out that they werent particularly helpful

I think it depends what goals are in athletics outside of powerlifting and bodybuilding. Leg curls made a positive impact on my BJJ game when I was still training as there is a lot of pure knee flexion in that sport. Probably some good carryover if you're a sprinter as well as other hamstring dominant sports. Adding strength and stability to your knees is a good thing in general because most of us are quad dominant due to our modern lifestyles, so leg curls seem like a decent idea to balance out your posterior chain.

I do 3 full body workouts per week. Lower body lifts go on rotation.

RDLS
calf raises
front squats
bulgarian split squats
leg press
leg curl

I also do some light band work and isometrics for my adductors and abductors on off days since I'm trying to clear up some bursitis in my right hip.

Last edited:
Lunges with dumbbells
Goblet squats with kettlebells
Pistol squats using a box
Farmers carry up and downstairs.

I think it depends what goals are in athletics outside of powerlifting and bodybuilding. Leg curls made a positive impact on my BJJ game when I was still training as there is a lot of pure knee flexion in that sport. Probably some good carryover if you're a sprinter as well as other hamstring dominant sports. Adding strength and stability to your knees is a good thing in general because most of us are quad dominant due to our modern lifestyles, so leg curls seem like a decent idea to balance out your posterior chain.

RDLS
calf raises
front squats
bulgarian split squats
leg press
leg curl

I also do some light band work and isometrics for my adductors and abductors on off days since I'm trying to clear up some bursitis in my right hip.

I can confirm, I was a sprinter and did super heavy hamstring curls (as well as weighed GHRs) regularly when training. I still do them now. However, I will note that prone hamstring curls where you're lying down on the machine are better than the seated ones, because you can recruit more muscle fibers when you aren't, you know... sitting on them.

Also if you can't do a GHR you should leg curl until you can imho, bodyweight control is so good.

But yeah, right now I straight up can't do as much leg training as I'd like and still do jits 7+ hours a week so I basically try to get at least one day a week and do either squat or deadlift plus some accessories, and sprint a few times a week for more anaerobic stimulus. A lot of times I do trap bar deadlifts because they're easier on my body. If I were more confident in not injuring myself I'd be doing power cleans.

RDLS
calf raises
front squats
bulgarian split squats
leg press
leg curl

Doing strength training of the hamstrings at long muscle lengths is great for any sprinter. Both for the elastic absorption/power production, but also to prevent muscle fiber ruptures at the end of the swing phase when the hamstring is eccentricly (pre)loading. Eccentric Nordic hamstring curls, or a GHRs, are pretty awesome in that regard. Most people need to build up to it a little bit though.

Working your hamstrings more is generally just good advice for most people, for the reasons you listed. The Quad to Hamstring strength ratio is also a major factor in preventing ACL tears.

What's your profession btw?

Doing strength training of the hamstrings at long muscle lengths is great for any sprinter. Both for the elastic absorption/power production, but also to prevent muscle fiber ruptures at the end of the swing phase when the hamstring is eccentricly (pre)loading. Eccentric Nordic hamstring curls, or a GHRs, are pretty awesome in that regard. Most people need to build up to it a little bit though.

Working your hamstrings more is generally just good advice for most people, for the reasons you listed. The Quad to Hamstring strength ratio is also a major factor in preventing ACL tears.

What's your profession btw?

I'm a physical therapist assistant. I pretty much exclusively work in skilled nursing facilities where I'm dealing with old people trying to get strong enough to go home or transition to a different level of care.....since my patients are rather impaired and don't have to perform at a high level my detailed knowledge of kinesiology has drifted somewhat since I graduated. They aren't worried about spraining an ACL, they're more concerned with getting in and out of bed on their own.

Heavy ass squats for either 5x5 or REALLY heavy squats for 5x3, split squats holding dumbbells, leg extensions, and then walking lunges if I have the gas in the tank otherwise I call it there.

Back