Legit Muay Thai schools/gyms in the NE Ohio area.

KShaft

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Is there any MT schools in the NE Ohio area that are worth a shit?

I mean a legit Kru rated instructor, not some guy who took some kick boxing and say they teach "muay thai" because they added a few techniques they do doing "MMA". If there is a high quality "mma kickboxing" school I might be open to it but the former would be much preferred.

By NE Ohio I mean Im looking at the West side (of cleveland).

Thanks for any help.

Let me know if you find one, most are MMA gyms with Dutch style kickboxing though I believe GriffonRawl on the east side (Mentor) has (had?) an actual Kru teaching their MT program. Not 100% sure he's still there though. Seems frequent coaching turnover is a staple at a lot of Ohio gyms these days. :(

I wouldn't put too much stock in an instructor claiming they are a "Kru" in the US.

Let me know if you find one, most are MMA gyms with Dutch style kickboxing though I believe GriffonRawl on the east side (Mentor) has (had?) an actual Kru teaching their MT program. Not 100% sure he's still there though. Seems frequent coaching turnover is a staple at a lot of Ohio gyms these days. :(

Yeah I went to GriffonRawl for a spell back in 2008. Nice facility. The boxing sucked. Muay Thai was in a similar format. Everybody in the class do the same shit like a karate dojo. Have a partner hold pads for you without any f-ing idea what he or you are doing... warm ups are part of the timed class, come on.

That prompted me to go to the east side of Cleveland to go to a real boxing gym. This guys fighter was the reason Andre Berto didn't go to the Olympics lol (but his fighter was gaffing shit off even on USA boxing's dime, he just decided to get serious for the olympics while USA Boxing decided to move on to Berto). Manny Stewart was gonna partner with him and set up a Kronk gym in Cleveland but for whatever reason it fell through and he stole some of his fighters.

Yeah going to a real boxing gym just makes you look back and shake your head at mma mcdojos. I will say that I don't know who is up at strong style, but the guys doing the boxing there are no joke. But I think that is a real boxing team. I didn't see any of the mma guys sparing with them because they would have gotten stitched up.

I kind of just did boxing after that for nearly two years every day. So, Dutch style looks great, but I have a good boxing background, I can just take what I need from the original or pure form of the art (Muay Thai) in this case and extrapolate what I need, which will for me probably end up looking more like Dutch anyhow, just with more knees and clinching (since I have a bit of Judo background from being at OSU and some time at Chu to Bu), and less high kicks, being Im short.

http://www.shortnorthmuaythai.com/kru-hope-vitellas/

http://www.ohiomuaythai.com/Instructors.htm

So those guys above, does this apply to them? I mean if I lived in Columbus (which I wish I still did) I would definitely hit these guys up and not need this thread to try to find anybody around here. Interested in what you think.

To be honest there will probably not be any major difference between "muay thai" and "dutch style" unless you get a trainer that has actually learned directly from thais. I've trained muay thai in reputable european gyms and even then, there is a major difference from what they teach you in thailand. If you already have boxing training and really want to learn "thai style" should just go to thailand a month (if you have the possibility) and when you come back, you can keep training what you learned in thailand.

http://www.shortnorthmuaythai.com/kru-hope-vitellas/

http://www.ohiomuaythai.com/Instructors.htm

So those guys above, does this apply to them? I mean if I lived in Columbus (which I wish I still did) I would definitely hit these guys up and not need this thread to try to find anybody around here. Interested in what you think.
I can't say they can't be decent instructors, but no based on those write ups I wouldn't put much faith into Kru Hope, Kru Tony, or Kru Jane.

To be honest there will probably not be any major difference between "muay thai" and "dutch style" unless you get a trainer that has actually learned directly from thais. I've trained muay thai in reputable european gyms and even then, there is a major difference from what they teach you in thailand. If you already have boxing training and really want to learn "thai style" should just go to thailand a month (if you have the possibility) and when you come back, you can keep training what you learned in thailand.

Yeah, not in any position financially to travel anywhere unfortunately. I was thinking about doing this when I had money, but that was nearly a decade ago.

Know of one in SW PA but I know that prob doesn't help much

Know of one in SW PA but I know that prob doesn't help much
please list it. Yeah it doesnt do me much good but maybe someone else can benefit and I can see what people think is good and compare. I love doing research and learning about this stuff (or whatever I happen to be interested in at the time).

Thanks. Looks great.
It is. Quality instruction from multiple pros with nice facility. I spent about 18 mos there a few years ago (have a boxing background) just to round out my striking game a bit and loved it.

Back