Legal Employment Discrimination by Race

Well. South asian and east asians are turned away from engineering and mediCal school acceptance in a few schools because they are over represented.

Not on Modern Family, isn't the gay couple like awkward and weird? Maybe it's a Canadian thing? Gay people on U.S. tv tend to run the gamut from cool to socially inept.
That's because one of them is a soulless ginger. Nothing to do with being gay.

It's an interesting problem. Normally I would say that it's discriminatory, particularly since it's a government job. But after years on here, I keep reading posts from people who would support the following "Casting for James Bond - should be Caucasian." and I don't know if they draw a distinction between tv shows and media trying to meet a requirement and generic racial discrimination?

Ah well, until the mystery is resolved I'll continue to say that it's discrimination and shouldn't be supported...and that a black James Bond is completely normal too. ;)

The cringe....

<Prem973>

It's ok white people, there's nothing to worry about! You will love your progressive future.

i think if a private company wants to hire all white, black, asian, male, female -- they should be able to do so as much as they want.

government should not be able to discriminate based on race or gender. But quotas should not be implemented to reflect diversity.

Everyone sees race, especially white. It's way too late for that color blind shit.

I won't look closely. I'm going to assume I'm right and that you just watch more gay friendly tv than I do.

It's also in classrooms, workplaces, commercials, wwe now, everywhere. Chosing a gay life is a way to be "protected." No question.

It's also in classrooms, workplaces, commercials, wwe now, everywhere. Chosing a gay life is a way to be "protected." No question.

You know that I'm not going to get into a tete-a-tete about the portrayal of gay people in the world, right? I respectfully think that your position is insane.

You know that I'm not going to get into a tete-a-tete about the portrayal of gay people in the world, right? I respectfully think that your position is insane.

Yeah.. You're probably a minority. The over correction of extra rights for "protected groups" probably benefits you greatly. My buddy at school has a 100k suit going because he was fired from an at will employer; he's an idiot entries to bang every girl he comes in contact with, and he is ALWAYS late and has poor attendance. I'm sure he doesn't mind those extra rights either. Enjoy the Trump you'll keep getting until it stops.

Last edited:
I won't rehash the entire James Bond point, other than the obvious point that it's a fictional character and as such his appearance is completely subject to change by whomever owns the current rights to the character (MGM, I think) and is writing the story. It's tangential to my larger point though.
Except he is a well established character with an origin story. It would be an incredibly stupid business move to make James Bond black, kind of like a white shaft.

Except he is a well established character with an origin story. It would be an incredibly stupid business move to make James Bond black, kind of like a white shaft.

Fictional character. Meaning he's not real. Well established or not, there is no historical account which must be adhered to.

And neither is Shaft. They could make a white Shaft and it would certainly be hard to adhere to the other elements of the character but it's doable. And they could make a black James Bond, whether or not it's a stupid business decision depends on how much the story of a MI-6 secret agent is dependent on that agent's actual race.

It's almost like you guys have never seen Hollywood reboot a franchise before, lol.

Are you saying that if they rolled out a James Bond movie that was identical to previous films in every fashion, except the race of the actor, you would refuse to see it purely on the racial change?

Fictional character. Meaning he's not real. Well established or not, there is no historical account which must be adhered to.

It makes no difference if he is fictional or not. He has an origin story and it doesn't make sense to cast a black person. Bond is Scottish as it was established in Skyfall (and also upon the casting of Connery.

And they could make a black James Bond, whether or not it's a stupid business decision depends on how much the story of a MI-6 secret agent is dependent on that agent's actual race.
They cannot make a black James Bond because he is Scottish. They can make another spy who is equally sophisticated and is also an mI-6 agent but he cannot be Bond. It's the character not the story that matters here, the franchise is built around him (so it depends on the character) and to change him that much would make no logical business sense, it already works and it's the character that has been penned.

Are you saying that if they rolled out a James Bond movie that was identical to previous films in every fashion, except the race of the actor, you would refuse to see it purely on the racial change?

Im saying it wouldn't be Bond and a whole lot of people wouldn't want to watch it, yes. I'm an actual fan so I probably would still watch it but make no mistake tons of people wouldn't continue it in the same way. It would just be another spy movie at that point.

Hell I'm Greek, if I saw a Greek dude with a thick Greek accent playing James Bond I think it would be an even stronger deterrent than a black person playing that role.

I strongly urge you not to reach too hard for the racism card because I can always point out the time when the casting of Craig was heavily criticised because he was blonde haired and blue eyed. Bond is a national treasure and they don't like when you fuck with the formula that has been in motion for decades.

It's almost like you guys have never seen Hollywood reboot a franchise before, lol.
The Bond reboot solidified that he's white. It's almost like you aren't actually a fan.

Bond films these days are so painfully dry, I'm open to a tranny 007.

illegal alien Islamic disabled plus sized feminist tranny who is a militant social justice activist

Book it!

illegal alien Islamic disabled plus sized feminist tranny who is a militant social justice activist

Book it!
That sounds like a bukowski post. "my friend, who just happens to be an illegal alien Islamic disabled plus sized feminist tranny who is a militant social justice activist says that....". Feel free to add in any other possible combination pertaining to whatever posts he replies to lol.

It makes no difference if he is fictional or not. He has an origin story and it doesn't make sense to cast a black person. Bond is Scottish as it was established in Skyfall (and also upon the casting of Connery.

Fictional characters aren't real. That means their "origin story" isn't real either.

They cannot make a black James Bond because he is Scottish. There can make another spy who is equally sophisticated and is also an mI-6 agent but he cannot be Bond. It's the character not the story that matters here, the franchise is built around him and to change him that much would make no logical business sense, it already works and it's the character that has been penned.

There are no black people in Scotland? And there could never be a black person in Scotland named James Bond? Like it's literally impossible to be born black and named James Bond in Scotland?

Im saying it wouldn't be Bond and a whole lot of people wouldn't want to watch it, yes. I'm an actual fan so I probably would still watch it but make no mistake tons of peoe wouldn't continue it in the same way. It would just be another spy movie at that point.

So, you would still watch the black James Bond. I'd bet money that most people would watch it so long as it didn't look like utter shit.

Hell I'm Greek, if I saw a Greek dude with a thick Greek accent playing James Bond I think it would be an even stronger deterrent than a black person playing that role.

But you'd probably still watch it. Which is all that matters.

I strongly urge you not to reach too hard for the racism card because I can always point out the time when the casting of Craig was heavily criticised because he was blonde haired and blue eyed. Bond is a national treasure and they don't like when you fuck with the formula that has been on motion for decades.

The Bond reboot solidified that he's white. It's almost like you aren't actually a fan.

I'm not reaching for the racism card, I'm pointing out that obvious fallacy in your argument. That people would stop watching it just because Bond is black. You already answered that question by stating that you would still watch it. Yet you're going to continue arguing that other people wouldn't.

If a black Bond is a bad decision because Bond shouldn't be black then changing the race of the character should be enough to make you and others stop watching the movies. That's not about racism, that's about fleshing out just how valid that argument really is. If you would still watch a black Bond, it's because you can still see yourself watching the movies and following the story and motivations of the character regardless of what race he is.

Which is my point. People will still watch if it's actually made, all of the uproar before such a thing happens is empty.

The only people who wouldn't watch it are the hardcore fans deeply attached to the few books that Fleming managed to pen before he sold the rights. The vast majority of people will not care so long as the movie is good. They haven't read the books and they even don't care that he's Scottish, they think he's British.

Take a page from the X-men movies (which are awful imo). They have butchered the origin stories and backgrounds of so many characters and people continue to watch...because most people are indifferent to the nuances of the written characters' histories. They only care about the quality of the film that they are currently watching, not 60 year old back stories.

Fictional characters aren't real. That means their "origin story" isn't real either.
And as I mentioned before it doesn't matter.

There are no black people in Scotland? And there could never be a black person in Scotland named James Bond? Like it's literally impossible to be born black and named James Bond in Scotland?
What? Yea to be an ethnic Scott you have to be white. Sorry to burst your bubble. If you are a black Scottish citizen named James Bond you are named after character who is white.

So, you would still watch the black James Bond. I'd bet money that most people would watch it so long as it didn't look like utter shit.

You would lose that bet.

But you'd probably still watch it. Which is all that matters.
Yea because I'm a fan, and I would continue to laugh hysterically.

I'm not reaching for the racism card, I'm pointing out that obvious fallacy in your argument. That people would stop watching it just because Bond is black. You already answered that question by stating that you would still watch it. Yet you're going to continue arguing that other people wouldn't.

Its not a fallacy, I would give it a chance but I know alot of people wouldn't watch it. Even if it's a good spy movie if Bond was Black or Greek I wouldn't like it the same way because it's not Bond. In the case of the Greek Bond it would be the accent that obviously doesn't match. That is another component that doesn't make sense.

The only people who wouldn't watch it are the hardcore fans deeply attached to the few books that Fleming managed to pen before he sold the rights.
Yea I'm arguing the opposite here. The general public only knows the appearance which is iconic. Just like most people have no fucking clue who shaft is, seeing a white shaft would be weird.

Take a page from the X-men movies (which are awful imo). They have butchered the origin stories and backgrounds of so many characters and people continue to watch...because most people are indifferent to the nuances of the written characters' histories. They only care about the quality of the film that they are currently watching, not 60 year old back stories.

Yes but people bitch and complain about the race and look of a character all the time much like ghost and the shell which was a cartoon. If superman or batman was black that would be weird just like if black panther was all of a sudden white it would makeke no sense.

Bond has been the same ever since he was created in the 60s, the reboot solidified him being an ethnic Scott so Im not sure why this is so hard to digest. It's like Coca-Cola changed there can to be Green or blue.

Out of curiosity do you have a problem with him remaining white?

This thread is now a James bond casting thread, which has nothing to do with the OP

And as I mentioned before it doesn't matter.

Sure it does. That's the point of something being fiction, that it can be easily changed.

What? Yea to be an ethnic Scott you have to be white. Sorry to burst your bubble. If you are a black Scottish citizen named James Bond you are named after character who is white.

So...still Scottish then.

You would lose that bet.

Yea because I'm a fan, and I would continue to laugh hysterically.

That's the worst argument ever. You will do exactly what I'm saying people will do and that's your argument that I'm wrong? <45>

Its not a fallacy, I would give it a chance but I know alot of people wouldn't watch it. Even if it's a good spy movie if Bond was Black or Greek I wouldn't like it the same way because it's not Bond. In the case of the Greek Bond it would be the accent that obviously doesn't match. That is another component that doesn't make sense.

I don't think you're seeing the fallacy here. You're making clear that you would watch while stating that people who are even less invested in the specifics of the character wouldn't watch it. See my above laughing figure.

Yea I'm arguing the opposite here. The general public only knows the appearance which is iconic. Just like most people have no fucking clue who shaft is, seeing a white shaft would be weird.

You think that people who don't care deeply about the character will suddenly deeply care about the race of the character? People don't care. The appearance of James Bond is not "iconic", it's been 5+ different men who bore only a passing resemblance to each other and the franchise continued without a hitch. Roger Moore =/= not Scottish. Neither was Dalton or Craig. Brosnan was Irish for goodness sake. No one cared.

Yes but people bitch and complain about the race and look of a character all the time much like ghost and the shell which was a cartoon. If superman or batman was black that would be weird just like if black panther was all of a sudden white it would makeke no sense.

People bitch but they still watch. When the studios rolled out Kung Fu with David Carradine, no one sat back and said "Well damn, we won't watch that because it's a white guy playing what should obviously be an Asian role." Well, no one other than Bruce Lee of course.

No one cared. Name one element of the Bond movies that cannot be put on screen if Bond ceased to be white.

Bond has been the same ever since he was created in the 60s, the reboot solidified him being an ethnic Scott so Im not sure why this is so hard to digest. It's like Coca-Cola changed there can to be Green or blue.

Out of curiosity do you have a problem with him remaining white?

Nope, couldn't care care less what race he is. I just make a point of highlighting the absurdity of insisting that a fictional character with a fictional history cannot have his/her fictional race changed. Especially one where the race of the character plays no role in the actual stories being told.

And Bond hasn't been the same since he was created. You literally mentioned a reboot that fiddled with his backstory while claiming that the character remains unchanged. ??

Back