Leg Checking

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Why do people discredit Weidman's second win over Anderson Silva?

Leg checking is a technique that not so many MMA fighters actually use.

Weidman clearly stated that his gameplan was to utilize this technique (which he did very well) and won by a poor leg kick, resulting in a check and a fractured bone from Weidman.

Do you consider leg checking to be a legitimate win?

Saki vs Spong ended this way, too.

It's not the checking of the kick, it's the sloppy setup of the low kicks, that's the real problem.

Why do people discredit Weidman's second win over Anderson Silva?

Leg checking is a technique that not so many MMA fighters actually use.

Weidman clearly stated that his gameplan was to utilize this technique (which he did very well) and won by a poor leg kick, resulting in a check and a fractured bone from Weidman.

Do you consider leg checking to be a legitimate win?

Saki vs Spong ended this way, too.

no i dont, no one intends to break anyones leg with a check. No one intends to have their leg break when they kick.

Checking a kick is just a block, no different than blocking a punch or what not. If you threw a hook, i blocked it, and you broke your wrist. I wouldnt consider that a legitimate win either.

no i dont, no one intends to break anyones leg with a check. No one intends to have their leg break when they kick.

Checking a kick is just a block, no different than blocking a punch or what not. If you threw a hook, i blocked it, and you broke your wrist. I wouldnt consider that a legitimate win either.
I agree, but one must train to check and not just take the kick (which a majority of MMA fighters do). It shows he successfully used it to end a fight. Not the most desired result, but he did something that so many just ignore.

Naw, that's like saying when you block body rips, and your elbow fractures the opponent's fist. The focus was defending the strike, any damage incurred happens to be a plus

leg checking takes skills to perform

not everyone can do it

Naw, that's like saying when you block body rips, and your elbow fractures the opponent's fist. The focus was defending the strike, any damage incurred happens to be a plus
<WellThere>
You block the strike and any extra damage to them is a bonus.
leg checking takes skills to perform

not everyone can do it

Best advice I heard for getting better w leg kicks is incorporating them into your shadowboxing.

<WellThere>
You block the strike and any extra damage to them is a bonus.

Best advice I heard for getting better w leg kicks is incorporating them into your shadowboxing.

best advice is what I gave some time ago

what does leg checking has to do with kicking? they are different you have to get kicked to learn to block you can't learn it as easy as kicking

I agree, but one must train to check and not just take the kick (which a majority of MMA fighters do). It shows he successfully used it to end a fight. Not the most desired result, but he did something that so many just ignore.

I agree its very under utilized in MMA.

I dont agree with him using it to end a fight.
He did use it, and it did end the fight. But that was/is not the intent behind checking leg kicks.

If someone is training to check leg kicks with the intent of causing the same type of injury that silva got they are mistaken.

Yes it happens, but it is more like a freak accident. If you take into account that leg checks are a staple of muay thai, and about as common as the jab. Theres probably something like 1 break for every 99999999999 leg checks. Im just making numbers up but i think you get my point.

While the intention isn't to break the leg with a check, there's certainly an intention to cause damage to the kicker's leg and discourage him from throwing more kicks at you. The vast majority of the time the kicker gets checked shin on shin a few times and decides that throwing more kicks ain't worth the pain or he toughs it out and does it anyway, but once in a blue moon everything goes just right (or wrong) and the guy breaks his leg.

Since you're trying to damage the other guy's leg when checking kicks, I'd consider any broken leg stoppages resulting from the check to be legitimate. Flukey perhaps, but legitimate.

Now, was Weidman trying to break Silva's leg? Probably not. But, from his training & interviews, he most certainly wanted to hurt Silva and make him stop throwing low kicks. I don't know if I can find it again, but there was an interview where Weidman & his team noted that low kicks were about the only effective technique that Silva had in their first fight, and they wanted to stop it. So they practised various techniques and found out that the shin on shin check hurt like a mofo, and none of his training partners wanted to kick him after getting checked that way a few times.

During the fight, Silva got frustrated and started throwing telegraphed full power low kicks at Weidman's lead leg with no setup and poor placement. Weidman checked him shin on shin a few times which just made Silva throw sloppier & harder. Crunch. If you watch the fight again, Silva's leg was already damaged 1-2 kicks before the break. Instead of reconsidering his options, he went for more and broke his leg.

leg checks can be trained so that the guy landing the kicks is in so much pain he can't use his legs to kick anymore

While the intention isn't to break the leg with a check, there's certainly an intention to cause damage to the kicker's leg and discourage him from throwing more kicks at you. The vast majority of the time the kicker gets checked shin on shin a few times and decides that throwing more kicks ain't worth the pain or he toughs it out and does it anyway, but once in a blue moon everything goes just right (or wrong) and the guy breaks his leg.

Since you're trying to damage the other guy's leg when checking kicks, I'd consider any broken leg stoppages resulting from the check to be legitimate. Flukey perhaps, but legitimate.

Now, was Weidman trying to break Silva's leg? Probably not. But, from his training & interviews, he most certainly wanted to hurt Silva and make him stop throwing low kicks. I don't know if I can find it again, but there was an interview where Weidman & his team noted that low kicks were about the only effective technique that Silva had in their first fight, and they wanted to stop it. So they practised various techniques and found out that the shin on shin check hurt like a mofo, and none of his training partners wanted to kick him after getting checked that way a few times.

During the fight, Silva got frustrated and started throwing telegraphed full power low kicks at Weidman's lead leg with no setup and poor placement. Weidman checked him shin on shin a few times which just made Silva throw sloppier & harder. Crunch. If you watch the fight again, Silva's leg was already damaged 1-2 kicks before the break. Instead of reconsidering his options, he went for more and broke his leg.

exactly, the point of checking is to stop the guy from throwing leg kicks and block the leg kick. Not break the guys leg. It can happen, but its not the intent behind the leg check.

Its funny because even if the check doesnt hurt the kicker, it still will subconsciously make you stop throwing leg kicks for the simple fact is being blocked. I can recall a fight where i leg kicked the shit out of the guy like 4 times in a row. He finally checked it, and I stopped, not because it hurt, but just because he blocked it. In retrospect, had I thrown a few more, he most likely wouldnt have checked and I might have been able to stop him. But instead he stopped my attack.

I can specifically recall this instant of the fight, and the photographer got a picture of it as well. Doesnt get any more shin on shin when @shincheckin lol

15872018_10212303497968983_2692519074842027758_n.jpg

I consider the fact that Weidman was out-landing and out-grappling Silva before the stoppage to credit his win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back