Leaving or balancing weight training

Medjj

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys!
This is my first post, I don’t know if it is the right place where to post this discussion and English is not my first language, so be nice

I currently train Bjj from 3 to 5 times a week (i’ve been training for 2 years, white belt).
I’ve recently started to do some weight training in order to gain some muscle and build up strength (I’m a f***ing skinny fat) - it is working and it helped!
Now this is my dilemma: I ve got the opportunity to learn judo - there is a good school not to far from where I live, with many people who compete - and I thought it would be nice to learn to throw people around (my Bjj style is “takedown and pass”, I don’t really like pulling guard or worse butt scooting), but in doing so I wouldn’t be able to lift 3 times a week.
I could lift sometimes, but not more than 2 times a week because I work...so I ask for suggestions
Do you think it could be helpful to leave weight training and switch to Judo and jiu jitsu, sacrificing the “mass and strength effect”? My current options are
Judo 3 times a week - Bjj 3/4 times a week
Judo 3/4 times a week - lifting 2/3 times a week
Bjj 3/5 times a week - lifting 2/3 times a week

I know it’s my choice, and I don’t have plan to become a professional, I just want to know from more experienced people.
Thank you so much guys

I ain't more experienced, just old, but I'll give you my opinion.

I would take judo and lifting. This is because I like judo a hell of a lot more than jitsu and I would not stop lifting because of the benefits that it confers to everything I do.

You can always switch back to bjj if the judo ain't to your taste, I think it will improve your game.

I did Judo while doing BJJ for 2 years. Judo is hard to learn without going "all in" for guys like me who are not gifted. I never did get good at throws. But, I really got rid of my fear of being thrown. So, it was worth it for that reason alone.

You are bringing up the essence of the martial arts problem - there is just not enough time in the day to do all the things you NEED to do. So, you have to make compromises. Only you can know what is best for you. I am learning this lesson.

Judo, BJJ, karate, or whatever it is you do is like an arms race with no finish line. Lifting weights and conditioning will allow you to participate longer in whatever you choose to do while at the same time limiting the amount you can do it in the present.

My opinion right now is that lifting weights is a non negotiable activity along with stretching every single day and cardio. They are the ante into the poker game.

My advice (martial arts) is to do many arts. They are all flawed. Don't limit yourself to one art. I got my black belt in BJJ and thought BJJ was the end all to be all. Now, I think it is somewhat dumb. From a street perspective, it is suicide. Most of the things you learn require a gi or will get you hurt in real life. Yes. You need to know how to grapple. But, grappling is a "Plan B" thing. You are not going to use X guard or DeLaRiva in real life. Grappling is for when you screw up on your feet and are put on the ground. Your job then is to get yourself back up and mobile. Willfully giving up your mobility to go to the ground is insane unless you are in a cage with a referee. BJJ is a dueling art. Not a street art. It is so obvious now.

So long as you aren't killing yourself with volume then lifting 2x/week should be doable. You're definitely going to have to keep your diet/rest/recovery on point. And you don't have to go 100% effort during sparring each time you train Judo or BJJ. Training hard is good and all, but you're going to have to be smart and listen to your body to avoid injury.

I did Judo while doing BJJ for 2 years. Judo is hard to learn without going "all in" for guys like me who are not gifted. I never did get good at throws. But, I really got rid of my fear of being thrown. So, it was worth it for that reason alone.

You are bringing up the essence of the martial arts problem - there is just not enough time in the day to do all the things you NEED to do. So, you have to make compromises. Only you can know what is best for you. I am learning this lesson.

Judo, BJJ, karate, or whatever it is you do is like an arms race with no finish line. Lifting weights and conditioning will allow you to participate longer in whatever you choose to do while at the same time limiting the amount you can do it in the present.

My opinion right now is that lifting weights is a non negotiable activity along with stretching every single day and cardio. They are the ante into the poker game.

My advice (martial arts) is to do many arts. They are all flawed. Don't limit yourself to one art. I got my black belt in BJJ and thought BJJ was the end all to be all. Now, I think it is somewhat dumb. From a street perspective, it is suicide. Most of the things you learn require a gi or will get you hurt in real life. Yes. You need to know how to grapple. But, grappling is a "Plan B" thing. You are not going to use X guard or DeLaRiva in real life. Grappling is for when you screw up on your feet and are put on the ground. Your job then is to get yourself back up and mobile. Willfully giving up your mobility to go to the ground is insane unless you are in a cage with a referee. BJJ is a dueling art. Not a street art. It is so obvious now.

Yes. It's definitely a very useful art and most violence probably takes place in 1 on 1, hand to hand situations so it's likely more useful than that; but I feel that judo and boxing are the prime skills. Both ways of controlling the distance and where the fight goes.

Yes. It's definitely a very useful art and most violence probably takes place in 1 on 1, hand to hand situations so it's likely more useful than that; but I feel that judo and boxing are the prime skills. Both ways of controlling the distance and where the fight goes.
Actually in my thread http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/is-boxing-a-good-judo-complement.3777341/page-3 I was asking if boxing was a good judo complement as sometimes I cannot make it to judo the 3 times a week I wish I could.
But if instead I have to leave one art out because of lifting, how many times good be good for the weight ?
Are 2 days enough to benefit myself in judo ?
Thank´s

For the thread creator: I don´t know how old you are but n my dojo many BJJ guys drop because the fear falling but the young ones that stay and get good ukemi and tachi waza become very good actually.The younger you are the easier is to learn ukemi so I would drop any of tthe other two for now and keep judo.

Actually in my thread http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/is-boxing-a-good-judo-complement.3777341/page-3 I was asking if boxing was a good judo complement as sometimes I cannot make it to judo the 3 times a week I wish I could.
But if instead I have to leave one art out because of lifting, how many times good be good for the weight ?
Are 2 days enough to benefit myself in judo ?
Thank´s

2 days are enough to make forwards progress. I was a judo player as kid and young adult, but now, disappointingly, have no classes remotely near me.

For the thread creator: I don´t know how old you are but n my dojo many BJJ guys drop because the fear falling but the young ones that stay and get good ukemi and tachi waza become very good actually.The younger you are the easier is to learn ukemi so I would drop any of tthe other two for now and keep judo.
I am 24 years old. I don’t have any problem with being thrown - actually I like more the stand up grappling than the ground work, so it wouldn’t be a problem.

Thank you for your answer . I don’t want to limit myself learning only one thing. I like grappling in every aspect so I thought it would be nice to learn the stand up (judo) and ground work (Bjj). Anyway I see myself more gifted in stand up work than ground work. I like more throwing than keeping people in my de la riva. Maybe should I just keep weightlifting and switching to judo? I can always learn Bjj, I don’t know about Judo

I ain't more experienced, just old, but I'll give you my opinion.

I would take judo and lifting. This is because I like judo a hell of a lot more than jitsu and I would not stop lifting because of the benefits that it confers to everything I do.

You can always switch back to bjj if the judo ain't to your taste, I think it will improve your game.
I agree... I’m considering about keeping weightlifting, just wished I started Judo earlier

Just lift twice a week around your Judo & BJJ, I'm sure you could work something out. Twice a week is better than nothing. Do a full body session 2 x a week but don't overdo it so you can't recover intime for your Judo / BJJ sessions. I currently lift 4-5 times a week and would just drop it back to 2 sessions a week when I was training Thai Boxing.

2 days are enough to make forwards progress. I was a judo player as kid and young adult, but now, disappointingly, have no classes remotely near me.
Sad, I have a similar problem and have to travel like 2 hours each class but there´s a boxing gym 2 blocks from home so I´ll see if keep my outside conditioning and put boxing in the mix.

I am 24 years old. I don’t have any problem with being thrown - actually I like more the stand up grappling than the ground work, so it wouldn’t be a problem.
So go for it because unless your dojo is pretty bad in newaza you won´t lose the basics and even without a leg you can always start back BJJ.

Back