Least Athletic Elite Boxer?

Pavlik, Margarito, Vic Darchynian

Pavlik was my first thought. And as NAC said, Rios is a good call as well. Angulo is a lot like Rios in the athletic department. Having a chin and power.

Athletic to me is Someone who has the normal attributes like speed, quickness power etc but also general coordination. Watch some pro athletes try to throw a baseball or kick a soccer ball and it's almost embarrassing.

I don't know about that. At his best he had excellent conditioning, very good power, and he wasn't exactly slow, either.

He seemed to have exceptional coordination too, if you consider his accuracy and the fluidity of his combinations.

I think some people define athleticism primarily by speed and explosiveness, but I don't really see it that way at all.

A dumbass, that you're apparently ignoring, just quoted you and wants someone to let you know that Mayorga is a very good contribution.
Thanks bro, I would've worded it differently but you're quite the wordsmith.

Aren't timing and accuracy valuable athletic traits in boxing? Probably more important than speed.
your saying timing and accuracy are athletic traits? I dont really agree.

Its more training and technique than anything really that help you develop those two traits.

Arguello was always extremely slow, not really explosive or athletic. But he had good power, and amazing timing. Good footwork for a puncher too.

Thats what made him great. He did have some problems with guys who boxed with him though

your saying timing and accuracy are athletic traits? I dont really agree.

Its more training and technique than anything really that help you develop those two traits.

Arguello was always extremely slow, not really explosive or athletic. But he had good power, and amazing timing. Good footwork for a puncher too.

Thats what made him great. He did have some problems with guys who boxed with him though

So you're saying that attributes, that you get through training, don't qualify as athletic attributes?

Maybe if we're talking about the 2017 version. Prime RJJ is one of the most athletic guys ever seen in a boxing ring.

On a side note, GGG isn't the quickest guy around, but his chin, stamina and power make him an impressive athlete in my book.

Is chin an athletic feature? I don't know. I guess we could define athletic feature as any non-learned positive attribute?

I usually think of athletic though as would have a chance to be good in other sports. Transferable athletic attributes.

Is chin an athletic feature? I don't know. I guess we could define athletic feature as any non-learned positive attribute?

I usually think of athletic though as would have a chance to be good in other sports. Transferable athletic attributes.

A good chin / the ability to absorb punishment is absolutely NOT an athletic feature ...lol.

Chin testing in the olympics? I'd watch that.

Also stamina ...this is more like a foundation that you'd expect from a professional competitor.

At least I do...I'd expect Usain Bolt to show up without a fat belly for a 200m race.

Also stamina ...this is more like a foundation that you'd expect from a professional competitor.

At least I do...I'd expect Usain Bolt to show up without a fat belly for a 200m race.

Im not sure about that. Do people consider championship marathon runners great athletes? I don't but maybe some do?

Anyway it's semantics. The OP could just change it to "Least physically gifted elite boxer" and then chin, stamina and whatever else would fit.

George Foreman.

steve collins maybe? He had ridiculous stamina and a hell of a chin, but I wouldn't say he was super athletic otherwise

Agreed, it all comes down to the definition of athleticism in boxing. I guess I took it as "useful physical gifts". Transferable attributes are a different story. On a side note, boxing is arguably the most complete sport and basically any physical (or psychological) gift comes in handy in the ring, but some aren't transferable.

Back