learning both stances

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
iv been boxing orthodox since i was 14 in 2005 i realize as a pro i really have to learn to switch due to the calf kicks today a lot of guys try to destroy that lead leg with calf kicks to slow down takedowns and make you less explosive shooting for takedowns or throwing big shots so switching i feel is critical for guys in the future if u get hurt to switch legs so u can still wrestle have your movement

whats your thoughts on this

"iv been boxing orthodox" So you're a boxer?
"the calf kicks today" Or a kickboxer/muay thai fighter?
"to slow down takedowns" Or a wrestler/BJJ practitioner/MMA fighter?

What sport are we even talking about here?

Most people who switch are god awful at whichever one they don't do naturally. Most people who fight like to believe they're ambidextrous, they're not.

Switching should be tactical and must have corresponding techniques ingrained. Kinda like changing from rifle to handgun (or even combat knife), switching will have strengths and weaknesses that must be addressed. Don't just switch stances without the proper prior training (before the spar/fight) in offensive and defensive moves from that certain stance.

I agree, yes at a high level, specifically for a kicking sport like muay thai its better to know both stances or at least be able to defend yourself from "southpaw". Your going to end up in that position sooner or later, at least be able to do something rather than nothing. this way you can at least buy enough time to get back to normal stance.

sports like karate and TKD fighting both stances is a must

fighting both stances in muay thai isnt a must, but is preferred IMO. It creates so many different angles, openings, etc. its a road worth going down IMO.

I agree, yes at a high level, specifically for a kicking sport like muay thai its better to know both stances or at least be able to defend yourself from "southpaw". Your going to end up in that position sooner or later, at least be able to do something rather than nothing. this way you can at least buy enough time to get back to normal stance.

sports like karate and TKD fighting both stances is a must

fighting both stances in muay thai isnt a must, but is preferred IMO. It creates so many different angles, openings, etc. its a road worth going down IMO.

There are a few Thai's that fight in southpaw when they are in fact orthodox, just to have that powerful lead leg but they have trained from the beginning like that.

I'm not a big fan of switching stances. A few guys are good at it but even guys who are good at it usually do it for a reason.

Its annoying when people give wonderboy as an example of a good stance switcher, he is a South paw, he likes his strong leg at the front for lead leg kicks. When he changes to orthodox it's usually to put his strong leg at the rear to set up a spin kick. He is not comfortable in both stances as the likes of Rogan like to promote.

Ask your coach about it.

The only guy I know that fights both sides did it on "accident". He did it in a match, and it wasn't in his strategy going in. He strongly believes that you can't fight everyone the same. It worked for him, but he may be an exception. He also says you need to master your right hand first (orthodox).

Switch stance is dangerous from the standpoint of getting countered as well.

If you want some tape to study check out Marvin Hagler.

Not a fan of it. There's only so much material to cover in the short period of time that is a camp.

It's fine to have some strikes or combinations from an opposite stance, but to partition the training period between the two is alot to cover.

Back