Leap Motion Game Changing Inexpensive High Resolution AR/VR Headset

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
Leap Motion looks to create a new sector for decent AR/VR headset. It offers 1600x1440 resolution per eye.

They claim the headset should only cost a few hundred dollars while offering 100 degrees of field of view.

The issue is they are offering it to the community as open source. It's up to the community to develop software for it.

It looks odd an pretty large an uncomfortable but testers say it's light weight an comfortable. It looks good as far as the display.

EDIT:No positional audio support yet that I can see.

Last edited:
They claim the headset should only cost a few hundred dollars while offering 100 degrees of field of view.

Such a small headset isnt computing LIDAR sensor information in real time with correlating 3D animation.

Such a small headset isnt computing LIDAR sensor information in real time with correlating 3D animation.

As far as 6 dof tracking they claim inside out tracking via camera's located above the displays. I do not know how it works but the leap motion stuff is located above the headset completely from what I can gather. So head tracking is optical tracking not via laser or LIDAR similar to Microsoft VR headset approach. The CPU handles the positional tracking data not the same way that Hololens that has a dedicated chip that handles accelerated inside out tracking with a low power CPU in the Hololens. Hololens I believes uses a 32 bit arm chip running at around 1 ghz not enough computing power to handle all the tracking data plus 3D processing and positional audio like the Hololens. That is one big problem with the Leap Motion headset no positional audio yet.

Back