Leaning to the side too much when I throw a straight punch

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I went to muay thai class and I haven't been in a while, and a problem that I have has persistently come up - I lean too much to the left when I throw a right straight.

I threw the punch to the pad; however I leaned over my left leg too much, so all of the power and torque essentially meant nothing- it took away the power.

My coach has told me to lean and move my head a little bit when throwing the cross in the case of opponents wanting to trade with you- I seem to be over exaggerating this.

A friend also told me to lunge a little bit, but I felt this makes me lose balance too.

Does anybody else have this problem ? and how to fix it?

Lean less. There it is

You don't need to lean hardly at all to make it powerful. Keep your weight driving from your back leg (right leg if orthodox), keeping the weight on your back leg actually makes it more powerful than transferring it to the left leg before landing (which isn't WRONG but less optimal for that single punch). Shifting your weight to the left leg takes power away from the impact but might be a good idea sometimes when you're planning to throw a left hook, etc afterwards to do the real damage.

If you turn your body from the ankle, twist right knee inwards and hips then your leaning should be minimal.

From what you're describing it seems like you're doing the work with your upper body but leaving your lower body too static (not turning joints enough).

Hard to say without a video. But if you're leaning too much then you'e probably leaning your head out past your feet. The problem probably comes from the lower body, or footwork, like Lastofthemohican said.

Start with your weight on your right foot, lead arm out in front. From there, just twist and sit down on the punch a little. Pull your left shoulder back as you drop your right knee down and turn it in. The solution to leaning is to twist instead.

Back