Leandro Lo vs Gordon Ryan!

He didn't really impose his own game either tho did he?

EXACTLY. Great, you defended, but never really attacked. If he was that much more superior, why not pass his SLX and go for a kill?

He got 2 takedowns, kept top position and almost passed guard. Whereas Gordon just lay there trying to shoot a leg through from butterfly to get to ashi garami which he never even got close to. Clearly Lo imposed his game (takedowns, top position and guard passing) and Gordon merely survived while trying to play his game.

pbp makes it sound like a pretty boring match.. too bad. was hoping lo would go apeshit on gordon if they ever met.
It was a pretty boring match but it was interesting and I think it was good for both guys. I'll try to give a fair and balanced post here. Neither guy is used to ADCC rules, and they both did some things that were good and bad. Lo's biggest strength was keeping himself safe from over-committing on pass attempts and his takedowns were solid. Ryan made the mistake of trying to pull for a guillotine during a takedown and got a negative point, but Lo also had 4 negative points for disengaging at one point during the match. So Ryan was actually up 1 point and didn't know it. And he should have adjusted strategy and didn't.

I was hoping that Lo would be a little bit more aggressive but I also think Gordon does much better on top, and in these timed matches I think his guard strategy of letting someone over commit on a pass so that he can get underneath for a leg entanglement isn't a strategy to bank on against guys like Lo.I think if he works his wrestling and gets on top that he's got a much better shot of going deep or winning in Finland.

I am guessing they both will learn a lot from the match. I don't know if Lo is doing adcc later this year but I think Gordon will probably work more wrestling to prepare, and Lo could probably win an entire bracket with the strategy he used here, but I hope he commits a little harder on his passing if he does the big show in Finland.

If Lo imposing his game makes you picture the same sort of highlight reel in your head of his matches that I see then no, he didn't impose his game. He did what it took to win, but he looked more aggressive IMO in his no-gi match against Calasans where he aggressively swept and passed in the final 30 seconds.

Not a good showing by Lo; Felipe Pena secret underrated GOAT?

Also fucking shit Braulio needs to stop getting injured, it'd be nice to see him compete again some time this decade.

Felipe Pena is highly underrated. He's one of if not the best of the new generation. There's very few people I'd pick over him in a match, gi or no-gi. Buchecha, maybe Galvao no-gi. Not that there aren't plenty of people who could beat him on any given day, but the odds would be even against most of them. I'm very high on Pena as a future multiple time ADCC and Mundials champ.

Felipe Pena is highly underrated. He's one of if not the best of the new generation. There's very few people I'd pick over him in a match, gi or no-gi. Buchecha, maybe Galvao no-gi. Not that there aren't plenty of people who could beat him on any given day, but the odds would be even against most of them. I'm very high on Pena as a future multiple time ADCC and Mundials champ.
I am too and he's responsible for one of my favorite bjj vids ever. I think this is going to be his year for adcc. Do you know if he is invited yet?

Best back taker and back finisher without the gi since Marcelo Garcia, Cobrinha, and Rafa.

Pulling out from attempted entries to ashi is not running away. Lo cancelled Gordon's game completely.

The correct technical term for this is "schaubing", or "schaubed" in the context of your sentence. "Lo pulled a Schaub on Ryan" would also have been acceptable.

The correct technical term for this is "schaubing", or "schaubed" in the context of your sentence. "Lo pulled a Schaub on Ryan" would also have been acceptable.
"Schaubing" implies running away and not engaging at all, not trying even once to do something like pass the gurad. Lo got 2 takedowns, stayed on top and tried to pass. So you are wrong.

I was hoping to see more engagement from Lo but if anyone is saying that's what Lo did, then I've got to question whether or not you actually lived through the experience of watching the Cyborg vs Brendan Schaub match live. Not talking about highlights either. I saw that 20 minute shit fest live in 2013 and I haven't seen a match since then that compares.

Lo/Ryan was nowhere near as bad as Cyborg/Schaub.

I was hoping to see more engagement from Lo but if anyone is saying that's what Lo did, then I've got to question whether or not you actually lived through the experience of watching the Cyborg vs Brendan Schaub match live. Not talking about highlights either. I saw that 20 minute shit fest live in 2013 and I haven't seen a match since then that compares.

Lo/Ryan was nowhere near as bad as Cyborg/Schaub.
damn. Sorry to hear that lol.

I can't imagine paying for what I can only assume were not cheap tickets and getting that shit...

Basically Leandro Lo had no time to prepare for Gordon Ryan. If he prepared for his game, we could have seen a very different match.

Talked to a guy who was there with Lo. Said he was really worried about the match because his knee is kinda fcked up alrdy. He also doesn't train no-gi that much, and barely does the whole heel hook thing. Everyone was telling em not to take it ,but they offered em more money. On top of that Buchecha was like ," Who the fck is this guy, you're a 5 time world champ; ect ect". Dudes a beast for even taking that match. You basically saw a Lo who doesn't do the no-gi/heel hook game beat a guy who specializes in it. You guys have to realize how much of a beast competitor you have to be to accomplish that.

I doubt you'll see Lo do anything adcc related after that nonsense.

I doubt you'll see Lo do anything adcc related after that nonsense.

oh for fuck's sake, come on! i've been waiting for him to go there and show these fools what's up for ages now!

and to the people who're saying lo's game is no good without the gi... you were saying the same thing about rodolfo, right up until he went to ADCC and took the gold. leandro may be better in the gi than without it, but you're fooling yourself if you think he isn't an elite competitor in nogi.

oh for fuck's sake, come on! i've been waiting for him to go there and show these fools what's up for ages now!

and to the people who're saying lo's game is no good without the gi... you were saying the same thing about rodolfo, right up until he went to ADCC and took the gold. leandro may be better in the gi than without it, but you're fooling yourself if you think he isn't an elite competitor in nogi.

A lot of guys there claim it was a set-up. That's sorta why I think he'll avoid that orginization. BUT, on that , I'm just guessing

Didn't see the match because it's locked away on Flo. How did Gordon perform now that he has roided up?

Didn't see the match because it's locked away on Flo. How did Gordon perform now that he has roided up?
Seen it today.

Gordon seems bigger than Lo actually, i have no idea how much these guys weight.

The match was kinda dull, Gordon was literally walking forward trying to engage standing with Lo, but his positioning was bad, the kid is a jiu jitsu wizard but has no wrestling whatsoever.
Lo was backpedaling the entire match, but scored two single legs because Ryan was completely open, like there was no points involved.
On the ground Lo wanted nothing to do with Gordon guard, he did nothing offensive except trying a knee cut pass 2 times in the entire match.
Gordon was trying a 2on1 armdrag the entire match but hard to do against someone that doesn't engage.

This match only proved that Lo has better wrestling and Ryan fought like he didn't gave a shit about points.

I'm glad they both stepped up, hope they meet again when they're both prepared. I think guys like this should be celebrated, I wish there were more of them.

It's incredible that Gordon can hang with the guys he can given his age and relative training time. Also clear that Lo can hold his own No-gi, Ryan is dangerous to anyone.

Back