Lead Paint Lobby Trying to Rip off CA Voters

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I was on facebook. I came across this sponsored page which said sign here to make CA clean up lead paint and write your congressman. I click on it. The page looks a little off so I decide to investigate. I find out that this is a huge scam by the paint lobby to get out of a gigantic judgement.

This is a blantant abuse of California's initiative system and I find it a little crazy that the lead paint lobby is being so brazen. Basically Sherwin Williams and two other big paint companies lost a lawsuit for over 1.1 billion dollars in CA state court because the court found they marketed ;lead paint. The court ordered that they pay to clean up houses with lead paint in 10 CA cities. The appeals court mostly upheld the lower court and the CA Supreme Court declined to take the case.

Out of legal options the lead paint lobby has now decided to push a bill which will put the cost of clean up on the tax payer rather than them. They dress up their website in pretty words but that is the bottom line.
First link is to the 6th Circuit's appeal order

Unless you own stock in the paint industry don't vote for the Healthy Homes and Schools Act. It would be literally funding the paint companies with your tax dollars and if asked by a signature gatherer don't sign hopefully this does not make it up on the ballot.

What does the sherdog bar think @HomerThompson @Zankou @Trotsky @panamaican
@Quipling
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=230528384336248820&hl=en&as_sdt=6&as_vis=1&oi=scholarr

http://www.latimes.com/business/laz...d-paint-ballot-initiative-20180330-story.html

At first glance, the proposed California ballot initiative originally titled the “Healthy Homes and Schools Act” doesn’t sound so bad. After all, who doesn’t like healthy homes and healthy schools?

According to the summary released in December, the act would put up a $2 billion bond for the purposes of rehabbing buildings that may contain toxic materials:

[Bond money is] to be deposited in the Healthy Home Remediation Account, which is hereby created in the fund. Moneys in the account shall be available, upon appropriation by the Legislature, for competitive grants to assist homeowners in the remediation of structural and environmental hazards, which includes, but is not limited to mold, asbestos, radon, water, pests, ventilation and lead hazards.

In 2016, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data revealed that lead toxicity levels in some California neighborhoods—including Fruitvale in Oakland and parts of the Mission in San Francisco—are comparable with those in Flint, Michigan, often due to old, lead-based paints.

So, why would a cleanup program that includes funds for lead removal be controversial? AS it turns out, the biggest beneficiaries of the law would be paint companies themselves.

The Sacramento Bee explained in January:

The initiative is brazen even by California standards but also clever. It would absolve the companies of liability by declaring that “lead-based paint on or in private or public residential properties, whether considered individually, collectively, or in the aggregate, is not a public nuisance.” It also would apply to any lawsuit “pending on appeal on, or filed after, Nov. 1, 2017.”

That last point is particularly important, since an appeals court ruled in 2017 that three paint companies—ConAgra, NL Industries, and Sherwin-Williams—are on the hook for hundreds of millions of dollars in costs from lead paint cleanup in California cities.

Except, if the proposed ballot initiative passes, they wouldn’t be, and the cost of cleanup would fall to the state. In response, California lawmakers announced a passel of proposed bills in late March that would mitigate the effects of the act if it makes the ballot and passes.

Jamie_Hooper.jpg
Photo by Jamie Hooper/Shutterstock
Alameda rep Rob Bonta’s AB 2074 would make it easier for Californians to sue paint companies over lead exposure by changing the burden of proof standards.

“[Lead] is very insidious and it’s in a lot of places,” Bonta said at a March 22 press conference. “The CDC says there is no safe level of lead. That’s true everywhere.”

Assemblymember Sharon Quirk-Silva’s AB 3009levels a fee on all paint sold in California, but only takes effect if the bond initiative passes. Other bills, including one by San Francisco’s David Chiu, limit the liability of homeowners who try to clean up lead paint themselves.

Of course, the necessity of many of those proposed laws depends on the success of the ballot initiative in the first place. In January, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra changed the title of the measure from Healthy Homes and Schools Act to eliminate “certain liability for lead-paint manufacturers” instead.

Last edited:
Alright dude, that's a ton to read for us lowbrow schleps. Am I to understand the state is trying to legalize lead paint and that will render the cleanup verdict sorta null and void? Shouldn't there be an EPA standard?

Lead paint lobby. Jfc.

And the details of that bill are just classic corporate villainy. Fuck them all.

What's next, leaded gasoline? A mercury cure-all?

Haha, alan, I think you just mean "paint lobby."

But, yeah, fictitious legal entities that only exist for profit motives for their shareholders and are legally required not to care about any other stakeholders....they're gonna do shitty things.

Why is it that when I put the words "Muslim" "Gun Grab" or "refugee" in a thread I get 5 pages worth of responses in a couple hours. But when I post about an issue that directly affects many people on this forum I literally have to call or otherwise contact multiple posters IRL in order to get someone to look at my thread?

I am just throwing that out guys.

Why is it that when I put the words "Muslim" "Gun Grab" or "refugee" in a thread I get 5 pages worth of responses in a couple hours. But when I post about an issue that directly affects many people on this forum I literally have to call or otherwise contact multiple posters IRL in order to get someone to look at my thread?

I mean...you know why. There are large swaths of the electorate (who I don't even think are proportionally represented in this forum) who only care about superficial identity politics issues and issues in which they are personally invested.

Also, to be less cynical, there is also (a) not really a great amount of disagreement to be had on this issue and (b) a more serious information deficit for posters than said identity politics issues

Alright dude, that's a ton to read for us lowbrow schleps. Am I to understand the state is trying to legalize lead paint and that will render the cleanup verdict sorta null and void? Shouldn't there be an EPA standard?

The paint lobby is trying to get a law to say lead paint is not a public nuisance in order to null and void the judgement

I read your thread. The whole situation is horrible and since it's cali will probably pass somehow.

A tip. You have to put a summary at the top so people reading at < 100 wpm can take in the content in under an hour though :p

I mean...you know why. There are large swaths of the electorate (who I don't even think are proportionally represented in this forum) who only care about superficial identity politics issues and issues in which they are personally invested.

Also, to be less cynical, there is also (a) not really a great amount of disagreement to be had on this issue and (b) a more serious information deficit for posters than said identity politics issues

All I am saying is I was on facebook. I came across this sponsored page which said sign here to make CA clean up lead paint and write your congressman. I click on it. The page looks a little off so I decide to investigate. I find out that this is a huge scam by the paint lobby to get out of a gigantic judgement. So I decide to come on sherdog and tell people and it seems like no one cares. The fact the paint lobby is so blatantly trying to skirt the court's judgement for at least hundreds of millions of dollars makes me personally very mad. That's all.

The paint lobby is trying to get a law to say lead paint is not a public nuisance in order to null and void the judgement
It's despicable. Hopefully they get hammered with some additional fines for shitting up society. I'm awfully sick and tired of corporate overreach.

Also, I had an entire original set of Voltron Lion Robots, and had to throw it away because of lead paint.

Probably explains the hotdog gifs, tbh.

Also, I had an entire original set of Voltron Lion Robots, and had to throw it away because of lead paint.

Probably explains the hotdog gifs, tbh.

Growing up I played war hammer 40k with lead figurines. I often wonder where I and my friends would be if my family had not allowed me to spend my free time handling lead.

Growing up I played war hammer 40k with lead figurines. I often wonder where I and my friends would be if my family had not allowed me to spend my free time handling lead.
3x BJJ World Champion?

All I am saying is I was on facebook. I came across this sponsored page which said sign here to make CA clean up lead paint and write your congressman. I click on it. The page looks a little off so I decide to investigate. I find out that this is a huge scam by the paint lobby to get out of a gigantic judgement. So I decide to come on sherdog and tell people and it seems like no one cares. The fact the paint lobby is so blatantly trying to skirt the court's judgement for at least hundreds of millions of dollars makes me personally very mad. That's all.

I think you should add the story of how you discovered this to the OP. I didn't realize how aggressively they were pushing this bullshit.

And great job on seeing through it and digging.

Hey don't count me out yet :) I keep telling myself once I hit the 40 and over group in a few years I will finally win Worlds.

I can say from experience that the hardest part of competing in the 40 and over group is that your body is old enough to be in the 40 and older group.

Regarding the OP, this is a prime example of a few taking advantage of an uniformed electorate and a case where direct democracy can fail.

Sick shit

Yep. Two separate fucked up issues. The lead paint thing, which we already know is seriously bad shit (https://www.motherjones.com/environ...sure-gasoline-crime-increase-children-health/) AND the initiative abuse stuff. I have to read extra closely beforehand to know which is the real initiative that does what it is saying it will do, and which is the one put out by people trying to thwart the real one by appearing to support it. Annoying as shit, and there should be some kind of rule change around that.

This is a way more serious issue (both). But it also requires more thought. Everyone can knee-jerk their opinions about the other stuff.

Back