Lead Leg Training

UnderRatedGroundGame

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What's up guys, I have some quick questions about training my lead Leg. It has been lagging behind quite a lot and I am going to dedicate a significant portion of my training tomorrow to try to catch up a little. So I want to be sure I'm going the right way about it

1. Would it be beneficial to practice throwing the roundhouse from Southpaw first and then from ortho (with switch)

2. Do the rope ladder exercises actually provide any benefit, I've seen some contradictory information.

3. Anything else you guys can recommend

Thanks

Last edited:
1) It can help find your proper balance, and understand the details in the technique since you don't have to worry about the switch...but then you have to train the switch also. So for me, it's beneficial at first, but when you get the hang of it, add the switch. Because it becomes a lot different with it.

2) I believe in rope ladder exercises, but not so much for MT, and not for making your lead leg kick better. It has other benefits...

3) When you train kicks, start with your weaker leg and not with your good one.
Try to throw lead leg kicks in sparring, even if you don't feel ready yet.

1. Couldn't hurt to get your hips used to the motion.

2. Use the ladder for foot work and agility but don't expect it to help with your kicks

What's up guys, I have some quick questions about training my lead Leg. It has been lagging behind quite a lot and I am going to dedicate a significant portion of my training tomorrow to try to catch up a little. So I want to be sure I'm going the right way about it

1. Would it be beneficial to practice throwing the roundhouse from Southpaw first and then from ortho (with switch)

2. Do the rope ladder exercises actually provide any benefit, I've seen some contradictory information.

3. Anything else you guys can recommend

Thanks

Alternatively, they way I show new people how to switch is to practice the switch without actually throwing the kick. I also have them do the kick from southpaw only as a rear roundhouse. After some reps doing it both separately, you have them do the whole switch kick. Regardless, it will take most people some time to learn it, as it is not a common movement in everyday life.

Here is an example of some guy showing what I meant...just practice just the switching part without throwing:

I also use just shuffling as a good way to warm up my hips and get my feet moving before actually getting down to training.

Play kick volleyball.

Last edited:
Play kick volleyball.

Lerdsila used to do this shit all the time in the gym.

Not sure that's the secret to his leg dexterity but it probably doesn't hurt.

fsoxystgysducw85b3lf.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Guys. I have been separating the switch and the kick for my training and then putting them together at the end of the sessions. I was switching too wide to begin with but I think I've got the hand of it now.

I have another thread about getting more precise with my non-dominant hand and they suggested I play handball haha. I dont think i'll have time to train after all these over sports.

I might incorporate some ladder drills in anyway for footwork purposes

It's just something you can do for fun in off time. 'Active recovery' was a big thing in old soviet sports science.

Back