lead hook

RR010V

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
when you throw a lead hook, should you pivot your foot for more power or should it be only in your hips and shoulders? I'm asking this because if they throw a leg kick when you throw a lead hook there is no way to check it.

You'll be turning your hips and pivoting on your lead foot so if the low kick is well timed it will be hard to check it while throwing a proper hook. But if you're throwing hooks when your opponent is in kicking distance either you're dealing with a very significant height/reach difference or you're nowhere close to being able to actually land the hook.

You'll be turning your hips and pivoting on your lead foot so if the low kick is well timed it will be hard to check it while throwing a proper hook. But if you're throwing hooks when your opponent is in kicking distance either you're dealing with a very significant height/reach difference or you're nowhere close to being able to actually land the hook.
that makes sense, thanks

when you throw a lead hook, should you pivot your foot for more power or should it be only in your hips and shoulders? I'm asking this because if they throw a leg kick when you throw a lead hook there is no way to check it.

Depends.

It pivots from the hip but, I've had boxing trainers give different interpretations of it. For instance, one stated "a hook isn't a punch." What he meant by that was he uses it like a table top, you pivot your hips, and you setup your power punch. Another trainer threw it like a bomb from the hip and waist but both showed the arm not moving. That, the hook was in a arched position, and you are twisting from the hip rather than swinging from the arm.

Also, guys like DLH used a lead hook and jab because he was left handed (for those that did not know). He worked on a right hand and it improved but, he never packed the sort of power he did in his left hook. Also, he lost power as he went up and moved to higher weight classes.

+ 1

I've seen people do it terribly where they turn their foot. Its not the foot turning but, the torque from the hips and the foot follows naturally. Something a marital artist sensei is teaching me is that power from push/pull. So, you gain absurd power from the pushing of one hand but, pulling from the other but, the anchor of it all being the hips.

For example, I throw a jab and straight. Upon pulling back on the jab, twisting from my hips, as I throw my straight, I generate stupid power from the pulling back on the jab.

<3 martial arts and all the little nuances.

+ 1

I've seen people do it terribly where they turn their foot. Its not the foot turning but, the torque from the hips and the foot follows naturally. Something a marital artist sensei is teaching me is that power from push/pull. So, you gain absurd power from the pushing of one hand but, pulling from the other but, the anchor of it all being the hips.

For example, I throw a jab and straight. Upon pulling back on the jab, twisting from my hips, as I throw my straight, I generate stupid power from the pulling back on the jab.

<3 martial arts and all the little nuances.

The power from the hook, and the reason you turn your feet, is the combination of twist and weight transfer. You're essentially dropping all your weight onto your rear foot if you're throwing it for power. Ideally you make contact halfway through the twist and weight transfer so your shifting body weight projects through your fist into his head (it can be a little different mechanically for body hooks). This is why your front heel comes off the floor at the completion of the punch: the majority of your weight is now shifted to your rear foot and you've twisted your body. There are ways to throw the hook that don't involve as much weight transfer (check hooks where you slide to the outside and throw somewhat across your body can be more about the twist than the weight transfer, for example), but the canonical way to throw a lead hook to the head is twisting while shifting your weight to the opposite side.

The power from the hook, and the reason you turn your feet, is the combination of twist and weight transfer. You're essentially dropping all your weight onto your rear foot if you're throwing it for power. Ideally you make contact halfway through the twist and weight transfer so your shifting body weight projects through your fist into his head (it can be a little different mechanically for body hooks). This is why your front heel comes off the floor at the completion of the punch: the majority of your weight is now shifted to your rear foot and you've twisted your body. There are ways to throw the hook that don't involve as much weight transfer (check hooks where you slide to the outside and throw somewhat across your body can be more about the twist than the weight transfer, for example), but the canonical way to throw a lead hook to the head is twisting while shifting your weight to the opposite side.

That is exactly what I just said lol word for word.

Foot turns from the torque of the waist.

Back