Lawyer: Conor McGregor has ‘no way to defend himself’ in Michael Chiesa lawsuit

Yeah but still Conor probably needs to come up with at least 250K to make it go away now. His social media accounts showing him blatantly blowing money is going to come back and haunt him.

If Chiesa waits it out he could potentially be looking at 7 digit payout in 7-10 years.

OK. Still he's in it with Barklays Center so only 50% on him.

But can you defend the case?

Plea deals don't usually involve no contest

Conor admitted a misdemeanor - he didn’t contest the facts of the case.

In a civil trial he is fucked.

Sherbros, stop talking law because you may think you understand the words, you have no fucking idea what lies behind those words.

That’s why some people get paid $800 an hour for interpreting and arguing the words because they went to law school, passed the bar exam and worked 70 hour weeks for ten years. Words don’t mean what you think they mean and common sense and your knowledge of law from SUV means bullshit. I double dare any of you to tell me what a tort is without googling it.

Going back to this shit - OJ didn’t get convicted for murder in a criminal case. He however was found liable in a civil case for stabbing two people.

Conor admitted fucking doing what he did. It’s now an argument how much he pays. Maybe an argument if Chiesa didn’t actually have glass in his eye beforehand.

Last edited:
Yeah but still Conor probably needs to come up with at least 250K to make it go away now. His social media accounts showing him blatantly blowing money is going to come back and haunt him.

If Chiesa waits it out he could potentially be looking at 7 digit payout in 7-10 years.

Lmao 7 figures for a cut.

He'll get his show and bonus purse and that's it.

I know you guys want Conor to go broke but it's not happening lol.

Admitted guilt in a criminal case.

The arguments are going to be about how
much Conor pays.

Which you wouldn’t know because you’re not a lawyer.

I’m not a NY lawyer but ... I am admitted in a common law jurisdiction.

TL;DR you know

The attorney is correct in that Conor has no defense to the lawsuit. He'll likely admit liability and challenge the damages only.

100k is a shitload though ?

His injuries were what, a cut and some bruises? Dudes a cage fighter he gets beat up and cut all the time, id make the case he should be given no more than his standard fight purse

It doesn't matter that he's a cage fighter. You can't walk up to a cage fighter and punch him in the face and say, "you get hit in the face all the time so you can't sue me."

$100K isn't a shitload. 1/3 will go to the attorney, some will pay off medical bill liens probably, and then a few costs, he'd end up with about 60K.

The settlement will never go public but I'd guess it'd be more in the $200K range. He lost his fight purse, reebok dollars, ability to train for a little while, had some degree of pain and suffering from the cut.

This

There's always a defense. Even if you were caught committing murder on video - there's always a defense.

There is a defence for everything until you admit you did it. That is what the lawyer is saying, there is no defence left now that Conor has admitted it. If the criminal trial were not concluded there is still the burden of proof but once Conor admitted guilt his defence went out the window.

The attorney is correct in that Conor has no defense to the lawsuit. He'll likely admit liability and challenge the damages only.

It doesn't matter that he's a cage fighter. You can't walk up to a cage fighter and punch him in the face and say, "you get hit in the face all the time so you can't sue me."

$100K isn't a shitload. 1/3 will go to the attorney, some will pay off medical bill liens probably, and then a few costs, he'd end up with about 60K.

No one is saying youre a cage fighter i can punch you you cant sue me. Im saying you cant expect extravagent amounts of damages for sustaining something you sustain on the regular as part of your job. You can get what you agreed upon to accept damages at your job which is fight purse

100k is shitloads, so is 60k for a little cut and some bruises, lets get real here

Admitted guilt in a criminal case.

The arguments are going to be about how
much Conor pays.

Which you wouldn’t know because you’re not a lawyer.

I’m not a NY lawyer but ... I am admitted in a common law jurisdiction.

If Chiesa was wise, as soon as he left the bus, he would've gone to psychologist and gathered up some substantial evidences to build the case on mental damages.

Can anyone give a rebuttal to my case for Chisea only to be awarded damages that match his fight purse

I think its pretty solid and havent seen a decent argument against it yet

Plea deals don't usually involve no contest

thats the point of "no contest"- to insulate cupability in a civil case.

Hell, even Rose has a case as it was public that she was visibly traumatized

oh, im sure she knows-

she's been playing the long game on this a while-

all the emotional trauma she makes sure her team mentions- she wont repeat Chiesas mistake (low damages)Rose will be full Thug in her ask.

What I expected when I saw the thread:

“Even in court Conor can’t defend har har.”

What I actually got was the sherdog experts chopping it up about bird law.

LAWYER: Your honor, this is no ordinary boo-boo. This is a life-altering boo-boo. That was a bus ride from hell for my client.
JUDGE: Hmmm...
CHIESA: It's true, your honor. I just peed a little when he said "bus".
JUDGE: How does 30k sound
CHIESA: I'm rich!

(theme song from "Happy Days" plays in the background)

Can anyone give a rebuttal to my case for Chisea only to be awarded damages that match his fight purse

I think its pretty solid and havent seen a decent argument against it yet

your not far off-

civil case is based on 2 things:

culpability
damages

its true its hard to defend that Conor is culpable- he clearly is.

but damages?
its hard to justify Chiesa suffered hundreds of thousands.

There is a defence for everything until you admit you did it. That is what the lawyer is saying, there is no defence left now that Conor has admitted it. If the criminal trial were not concluded there is still the burden of proof but once Conor admitted guilt his defence went out the window.
But saying "I did it" doesn't mean Chiesa gets a dime. That's why there's a civil case, which will almost definitely be settled because frankly, Chiesa isn't going to get a million dollars from this. He got less cut up in the "attack" than he does during his fights, and he absolutely cannot prove he would have fought for the LW belt. He's lucky to get anything more than his show+win money plus legal fees.

your not far off-

civil case is based on 2 things:

culpability
damages

its true its hard to defend that Conor is culpable- he clearly is.

but damages?
its hard to justify Chiesa suffered hundreds of thousands.

Is being a lawyer a fun job ?

Conor blessing Michael Chiesa with a red panty night.

If Chiesa was wise, as soon as he left the bus, he would've gone to psychologist and gathered up some substantial evidences to build the case on mental damages.

I think glass in the eye and PTSD is worth 6 figures.

This case shows how horrendously corrupt the NY justice system is.

A drunk coked up hooligan with a band of fuckers do what the fuck they want causing physical and mental damage. Conor gets zero punishment. Meanwhile a black kid spends two years in solitary for allegedly stealing a backpack - then kills himself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalief_Browder

Why did Conor not go to jail?
a) he brings money to NY
b) the prosecutors don't have the time and money to fight his $800 an hour lawyers - and this sort of shit is about a million or two in time to fight

“There’s definitely a legitimate case,” said the lawyer, who specializes in criminal defense and personal injury. “In fact, because [McGregor] plead guilty in the criminal case. And in criminal cases the standard is higher — it’s beyond a reasonable doubt. It’s not a preponderance of the evidence. Because he did that, it’s virtually a defenseless case. You can’t defend this case, there’s no way to defend it. Even if he didn’t plead guilty, there’s 450 videos showing this. There’s really no substantive defense.”

“There’s no other way,” the lawyer said. “Because there’s no defense. There’s no way Conor can defend his case — he plead guilty. He allocated in open court what he did wrong. There’s no defense that’s admissible in this case.”

“What they can do in this case is they can really put Conor through the ringer,” Shakhnevich said. “They can make him sit for a deposition, they could tape the deposition. It could make him really uncomfortable. He doesn’t need that. He has money, he has fame, he has everything. He’s not gonna want to be dragged through the mud. He’s gonna pay whatever he has to pay. Whatever he pays will pale in comparison to what he makes in a couple of weeks. There’s really no reason for him to defend this case.”

“It’s tough to forego this possibility,” the attorney said. “The justice system is designed for this and he has a great case on the merits. There’s no downside. So, it’s tough to blame him. To get that much money in his pocket for a guy — you never know, he could lose his next fight and be cut and that’s it. It’s that kind of business. So, you can’t really judge him. I don’t. I’d encourage him to do the same thing and I’d encourage everybody else in that bus to do the same thing.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/9/...y-to-defend-himself-in-michael-chiesa-lawsuit

gettyimages-501171408.jpg
Lawyer knows a red panty night when he sees one.

Back