News Lawler and Ponzi Scheme duck Wonderboy

drbolony

-Cautious Alex's Kickboxing Coach-
@Gold
Reaction score
Stephen Thompson on losing the Robbie Lawler fight:

“It was disappointing to lose out on the Lawler fight. It was kind of crazy because I was pushing for that fight so hard and we were getting back that (Robbie) wouldn’t be ready and that he was still injured. And then suddenly the next thing we know he is fighting Ben Askren.”

Stephen Thompson on Ponz' "availability":

“Nothing yet in terms of a new opponent. I was looking to fight Ponzinibbio, but he turned it down to be honest. Not sure if it was due to an injury or what. Hopefully we will hear something soon.”

Stephen Thompson on preferring Top 5 opponents:

“Well an RDA fight would be awesome!” Thompson admitted. “Anyone in the top five of the division would be great. I would like to fight someone ranked a little higher up than ‘Gunni’, but don’t get me wrong, the dude is a beast. Nelson is a handful for anyone in this division.”

What do you guys think? I personally don't like calling pro-fighters ducks, but that Ponzi one is pretty blatant. Santiago was calling for anyone higher than himself in the rankings (post UFC Argentina), but I noticed he always left Thompson out of the talks. Robbie's case is pretty shady too, Wonderboy was very vocal about wanting that fight for years. The stars had all but aligned for this match up, and all of a sudden Lawler draws Askren? Askren the guy who could litterally be macthed up with anyone in his debut. Odd.

I know Wonderboy love has been dying down here since his last 5 fights have all been decisions, but remember with different judges this man could be WW Champ today. Probably gave Woodley his toughest fights to date. What do my Sherbros think?

EFBb.gif

FirstCraftyKentrosaurus-size_restricted.gif

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/exc...robbie-lawler-matchup-and-what-might-be-next/

Last edited:
I’m not surprised, Wonderboy is a tough matchup for anybody in that division really, he is a fighter that it is hard to look good against win or lose, he’s got a very awkward style that you can’t really train for.

I dunno about ducking but we are definitely due for a Wonderboy fight. Lawler Ducking? Please. These guys are after payouts. Askren may be a bigger fight. I dunno. but I can't see Lawler ducking anyone. Dunno about Ponz. Got Goggles Stephen?

Wonderbore....I loved him till he shit the bed vs Tyrone twice.

Wonderboy is a puzzle

Current champ barely squeaked by him

The UFC probably don't want to kill off contenders by giving them to Wonder either
He's in a tough spot

Askren will fight him.

Feed him to the funk.

Askren will fight him.

Feed him to the funk.
Yeah, please don't.

I dunno about ducking but we are definitely due for a Wonderboy fight. Lawler Ducking? Please. These guys are after payouts. Askren may be a bigger fight. I dunno. but I can't see Lawler ducking anyone. Dunno about Ponz. Got Goggles Stephen?

I know man, believe me, I felt dirty writing out the thread. But Wonderboy been wanting this fight since Robbie was Champ. This was the best time for him to get that fight, and he takes a fight against Askren? Don't really understand the payday comment. Don't these guys have fixed purses based on their contracts? Besides if any fight is going to earn you little something something in the locker room from the UFC, it's going to be a banger like Lawler x Wonderboy.

Lol. Was Ponz still eye poking in the Magny fight? Can't remember.

Until Wonderboy stops been such a defensive fighter and brings back his aggressiveness, he doesn't deserve a top 5 opponent.

Wonderboy is his own worst enemy, the guy would be undefeated if he learnt to pull the trigger, he has legitimate KO power, he needs to fucken use it and stop hesitating, the guy has a serious chin on him too.

Until Wonderboy stops been such a defensive fighter and brings back his aggressiveness, he doesn't deserve a top 5 opponent.

Wonderboy is his own worst enemy, the guy would be undefeated if he learnt to pull the trigger, he has legitimate KO power, he needs to fucken use it and stop hesitating, the guy has a serious chin on him too.

That's never been Wonderboy though. He's always countered his opponents mistakes. His last 5 fights have been Woodley x2, Rory, Masvidal, and Till.

Woodley is one of the best wrestlers in the division, ever. Rory is one of the best fighters in the world regardless of weight class. Masvidal and Till are very educated strikers who make very few mistakes. Wonderboy was finishing lesser opposition. He's fighting at his level now. Tell me, what was his avenue to a finish against Till? The Masvidal fight is a little more understandable, but then again who KO's Jorge Masvidal?

This man doesn't duck fights

robbie-lawler-ufc-1891.jpg

trickiest fighter in the division. could beat anyone in the ww division. maybe even tyron given a third try. people are intimidated by this mild mannered white ninja.

I'm not sure why he thinks he deserves a top 5 guy. He should be fighting someone ranked fringe top 10

hey wonderbra a win over you doesnt mean anything anymore
thats why nobody wants to fight you

I'm not sure why he thinks he deserves a top 5 guy. He should be fighting someone ranked fringe top 10
hey wonderbra a win over you doesnt mean anything anymore
thats why nobody wants to fight you
Please elaborate? His only recent losses are to the Champ and #3 Darren Till. I get his fights have been stinkers lately, but it correlates with the level of opposition. Karate isn't fun at the higher levels. Karateka's usually have a very cautious striking style. Same thing happened to Lyoto.

I’m not surprised, Wonderboy is a tough matchup for anybody in that division really, he is a fighter that it is hard to look good against win or lose, he’s got a very awkward style that you can’t really train for.

Somehow I have no trouble believing Robbie if he said he needs more time to prepare for WB than Askren, just because of the difference in opponent and how he'd get ready for them. But I am inclined to believe that dirty ponzi scheme eye poke shinobi straight up is ducking him.

Somehow I have no trouble believing Robbie if he said he needs more time to prepare for WB than Askren, just because of the diff3erence in opponent and how he'd get ready for them. But I am inclined to believe that dirty ponzi scheme eye poke shinobi straight up is ducking him.

Oh yeah Lawler I believe it’s just a matter of timing, that eye poking goon Ponz for sure is likely ducking to protect his win streak.

Back