Lara's Advice for Golovkin: Can't Beat Canelo by Decision in Vegas

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by MMALOPEZ, Sep 11, 2017.

1. MMALOPEZ Silver Belt

MMALOPEZ
    “I think Canelo is in a real fight against a strong guy who’s determined,” Lara told BoxingScene.com through a translator last week. “If I had to pick somebody, I would go with Golovkin. But one thing we know is in Las Vegas, you can’t beat Canelo Alvarez on a decision.”

[​IMG]

If Alvarez-Golovkin goes to the scorecards, Lara fully expects Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) to lose, even if the action indicates he should be declared the winner of their HBO Pay-Per-View main event at T-Mobile Arena.

“They did it to me, so why wouldn’t they do it to Golovkin?,” Lara said. “On top of that, one judge had it a draw when Canelo fought Floyd Mayweather. They did it to Mayweather, they did it to me. You have to knock out Canelo to beat him.”

Lara lost a split decision to Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) in their 12-round, non-title fight three years ago at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Judge Jerry Roth credited Lara with a 115-113 victory, but judges Levi Martinez (117-111) and Dave Moretti (115-113) scored their highly competitive fight for Alvarez.

Ten months earlier, judge C.J. Ross somehow scored Alvarez’s 12-round fight with Mayweather a draw (114-114). The two other judges – Craig Metcalfe (117-111) and Moretti (116-112) – thought Mayweather won by scores that were more reflective of what took place in the ring and he beat Alvarez by majority decision.

“The Canelo fight is history now,” Lara said of his split-decision defeat to Alvarez. “It’s in the past. Everyone who knows about boxing, everyone who’s not biased, knows I won the fight.”

That doesn’t mean that the Cuban southpaw doesn’t want another opportunity to beat the Mexican superstar.

“Obviously, he’s gonna try to avoid me,” Lara said. “Everyone knows that, but I hope it happens. If it happens, it happens. But every great fighter looks at their record and sees an asterisk. A guy like Floyd Mayweather fought Castillo. It was controversial and he came back and beat [Jose Luis] Castillo. He did the same thing with [Marcos] Maidana.

“That’s what great fighters do. So any time there’s an asterisk on your record, you have to fix it. If Canelo wants to go down in history as one of the best Mexican fighters, he has to do what Chavez did with Frankie Randall. The list goes on and on and on. That’s what great fighters do.”

Meanwhile, Lara (24-2-2, 14 KOs) is busy preparing for his October 14 fight against Cleveland’s Terrell Gausha (20-0, 9 KOs). Their 12-round title fight will headline Showtime’s tripleheader from Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.

UhHuhSure and 4daLuLZ like this.
  2. Sunfish Martinez Belt

Sunfish
    For fucks sake this is getting boring, there's already threads on this.

3. Seano Hands of bone

Seano
    Golovkin doesn't stink out fights like Lara does. He has a chance at the decision in a close fight. Lara doesn't. Judges like aggressors.

4. SBJJ Brown Belt

SBJJ
    Bingo

5. 4daLuLZ Green Belt

4daLuLZ
    114-114 CJ Ross

#Never4Get
    #MAGA

Kuggk likes this.
  6. Shael Silver Belt

Shael
    I scored the fight for Canelo but the judge who had it 117-111 should be shot.

Shoemaker likes this.
  7. quincy k Purple Belt

quincy k
    what about christodoulou score of 118 -109 for canelo against trout

imo, that was the worst scorecard in a championship fight in 2013

three horrible scorecards for canelo in three championship fights; mayweather, trout and lara

Shael and Sakuraba7 like this.
  8. borntoloseNOT Green Belt

borntoloseNOT
    How would Lara know? The best he could have claimed vs Canelo was a draw, he didnt win that fight.

Canelo honestly is the only one who hurt anyone that night, anyway.

9. JayE Brown Belt

JayE
    That was in Texas, but yeah, it was terrible.

10. Sakuraba7 Brown Belt

Sakuraba7
    On a side note: Is it just me or is the GGG-Canelo undercard utter TRASH?

Even that garbage May-Mac event had a strong card on paper, with multiple title fights & prospects.

Does De La Hoya's son really need to take up that third fight slot?
    And a fight between some Joseph Diaz and Jorge Lara, who I'm assuming are going to be the next stars Golden Boy's bout to push once they get their name out there that night.

Couldn't they get some foreign champs? Tired of them JUST pushing Mexicans.
    And they got 2 women's fights on the prelims. 3 of them with TRASH records.

11. The Can Opener Brown Belt

The Can Opener
    Going the distance with a De La Hoya cash cow is bad idea for any opponent.

That dude is the mexican Don King.

12. The Can Opener Brown Belt

The Can Opener
    It's pretty bad and they are starting the entire card an hour early so east coast peoples don't have to wait for midnight to catch the main event. It's annoying that we get a trash undercard and an 80 dollar price tag but Golden Boy is pretty awful so it's to be expected.

13. Sakuraba7 Brown Belt

Sakuraba7
    Superfly was a great card. 3 headline-worthy fights should be the standard, not 1.
    Even the prelims had 2 solid fights.

This card is a bunch of no-names top to bottom. I expect 2 decent fights, but they're still no-names. Why not introduce the audience to a foreign champ? Wouldn't cost much at all.

Why not have someone from overseas defending a world title, instead of making us watch some NABF / Continental Americas nonsense fight between people we could care less about. Aren't there enough bum fights on Mexican TV and Fox Deportes? Why put this shit on PPV?

14. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
    A Boat With Shannon Briggs, Right Behind You
    It’s $80?! Damn, times they are a’changin

Shael likes this.
  15. The Can Opener Brown Belt

The Can Opener
    Seriously.

I remember great ppv fight cards back in the day for 29.95 with like 5 solid matches. Now we pay 80 bucks for just a main event.

16. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
    I can’t really remember that; my grandpa use to have all the old Tyson/De la Hoya fights so I didn’t know what he paid (if anything, he had one of them cable descramblers). But I think Floyd/DLH was only $60 back in 07 (or 08, whenever it was). May/Pac went a long way toward “priming” the consumer I think. May/Mac galvanized it.

17. 4daLuLZ Green Belt

4daLuLZ

<codychoke>

<Bottle.gif>

18. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
    I had it for Saul but I’m fine either way. That was a Ward/Kov type fight.

19. Hagler Man of wealth and taste

Hagler
    I'd add the 119-109 (Moretti) and 118-110 cards in the Cotto fight. Canelo won, but not that wide.

These are enough examples to believe that Canelo shouldn't fear an unfair decision. Furthermore, his unusual accuracy and his combos allow him to steal rounds easier than others. That being said, GGG is no Lara. He moves forward, and got a UD against Jacobs in a fight he could have lost.

I think this fight goes the distance, hence Alvarez is my favorite, but not by far.

20. City_Lights Purple Belt

City_Lights
    Yeah I was hoping for better. They're trying to save money or something and figure it won't hurt the sales.