Langford vs Johnson - a different conversation.

Contra-dictator

Free Johnny Mac!
@Brown
Reaction score
I was thinking of Langford recently and just came apon an interesting thought. Educate me if I am wrong here, but Langford likely would have made a more popular champ than Johnson. He was always known to be very jovial and pleasant, so I can't see him wiping the championship in anyone's face. He was always known to be cracking jokes, so I can see how that side of him would have lead to more overall popularity. Given his history, I would also have expected him to defend the belt far more often than Johnson. So I am left to wonder, was there ever a push from the white community to use Langford as the Great White Hope? Surely he would have been a more palatable and popular and palatable champion than Johnson.

Nah, white and black people didn't fight each other all that much and JAck Dempsey admitted he wouldn't fight Langford. Johnson didn't want to rematch him either.

Fans at the time just weren’t in to white vs black fights and johnson just made it worse

Although i see your point and agree that Langford may have been a more accepted champ

wtf is a newspaper decision? Seeing how african americans seemed to dislike Johnson over not fighting other black boxers I'm sure Sam would've been liked more.

wtf is a newspaper decision? Seeing how african americans seemed to dislike Johnson over not fighting other black boxers I'm sure Sam would've been liked more.
The journalists covering the story decided who won if a fight went the distance.

Fights between black fighters, even for the title, were not expected to be a draw. The white audiences of that time wanted to see their white hopes win.

That being said, yes, a Langford championship might have seen the color line come down permanently about 20 years early, and similar developments might have happened in other sports like baseball.

(Peter Jackson winning the title in the late 19th century would've had the same effect, IMO, unless Jack Johnson managed to reverse it.)

Journalists decide who won

Nah, white and black people didn't fight each other all that much and JAck Dempsey admitted he wouldn't fight Langford. Johnson didn't want to rematch him either.

To clarify, white and black fighters did fight each other more than you are suggesting here. When the championship was involved, then that would pretty much never happen. Dempsey signed to fight Harry Wills, but the fight fell through. Greb fought everyone of every colour.

It's not like it happened all the time, but it's not like it never happened like you are suggesting.

To clarify, white and black fighters did fight each other more than you are suggesting here. When the championship was involved, then that would pretty much never happen. Dempsey signed to fight Harry Wills, but the fight fell through. Greb fought everyone of every colour.

It's not like it happened all the time, but it's not like it never happened like you are suggesting.
I said "all that much" not that they never fought.

I'm pretty sure that the fans loved seeing White-Black fights and that they didn't have much interest in black-black fights.
Johnson, Langford, and Sam Mcvea were going to have a bunch of fights in Australia but there wasn't great interest and money in watching black fighters fight each other so Johnson went back to the US to fight the next great white hope, Fireman Jim Flynn, while Langford-McVea held a bunch of matches against each other for the "Colored" Heavyweight belt that Langford had.
McVea also won an "all in" fight against a jiu jitsu fighter.

Yes, there were plenty of efforts by the "white" boxing establishment to match Johnson with Langford. Especially in places like England, France, and Australia. The old Aussie promoter, Hugh McIntosh, was most prominent when it came to offers and he made numerous of them to Johnson in which he would have been well compensated for the time.

There were efforts made in the US as well, but if I'm remembering right, the closest it came to happening on American soils was one night when both were at a boxing event in Boston I think it was. Both agreed to a future fight there on the spot while appearing in the ring together in front of the live crowd, and both agreed to post a forfeit with a local newspaper within a short time span. Langford, who I don't believe had the money, refused to post the forfeit until Johnson did, and Johnson refused the same. That's about the closest Johnson had shown to a willingness to face Langford again. Johnson did have a signed agreement to face Langford in England in 1909, but he wasn't sincere and never intended to honour the commitment in the first place.

And a Johnson-Langford rematch for the title would have drawn quite well in places like France and Australia. Maybe even England too. In the US, who the hell knows since hardly anybody was drawing well in boxing at the time in the 1910's regardless if it was white vs white, black vs white, or black vs black. The public lost most of it's trust in boxing on the east coast a decade before that, and then mostly dried up on the west coast when the popularity shifted out there soon after. Boxing's image was greatly repaired after WW1 when the American public learned of all the boxers that served and taught their sport to the soldiers during the war. Boxers weren't viewed as scum anymore and instead started to get celebrated. Then you had a promotional genius like Tex Rickard to further enhance that image change and use his power to influence fans and legislators alike into becoming even more accepting of the sport. And of course Rickard had an attraction like Dempsey who Rickard could initially promote as the villian per se and convince the public to pay big money to see somebody beat him. But the 1910's was a terrible decade for boxing in America. The worst. The money, however much there was, was to be made was elsewhere around the world.

Back