Lance Armstrong settles $100 million lawsuit with U.S. government - for $5 million.

Meh, don't care. Everyone was doping, and Armstrong did a lot of good with his fame.

I see no justice in this.

The only justice missing is the fact that the FDA investigation was shut down by Andre Birotte as a political favor in exchange for a federal judge appointment.

"Let me see, I'm going to take all of this evidence and shred it. Then I'm going to announce that I'm shutting down the case on Friday of super bowl weekend at 4:59PM pacific time".

I don't give a shit about his doping. The reason I hate this motherfucker is how he treated those around him, and those that tried to out him as a doper. Lawsuits, shaming, etc.

One of the best/worst moves by the uni-baller was coercing a teammate to dope by threatening to holding back his pay. A teammate who was clean and who's father OD'd when he was a kid.

tenor.gif

There were many ways to handle cheating in cycling.

Piling on Lance was the wrong path.

If you can not take into consideration that the entire front third of the Pelaton was cheating, then just go fuck your righteous ass.

Lance is the man.

Lance's hubris killed him.

He should have taken his 6 Tours to heart and stayed away from competitive racing.

Being exposed as a doper did humble him a bit, however, literally -everyone- in the top echelon in the sport was blood doping.

They gave one of his Tours to the second place racer, Ulrich, who was -also- busted for doping.

It was all a farce, but there was a lot of politics involved.

France did not like an arrogant American dominating their Tour, the American authorities did not like the loss of face and wanted to make names for themselves in law "enforcement," and Lance did not know when to shut up.

That pretty much sums it up.

quality-jpg.png

Can some of the American attorneys here explain treble damages to me?

In 2013 I had some clients from Scottsdale, Arizona once that were being sued here in Alberta, Canada for defaulting on an $800k loan from a friend of theirs that lived in Reno, Nevada money that my clients used to purchase a vacation home in the Canadian Rockies. The plaintiff commenced proceedings up here instead of down in Arizona or Nevada because he was looking to foreclose on the vacation property on the basis that the loan was in effect an unregistered equitable mortgage.

However, I successfully defeated the Plaintiff’s claim here by having it summarily dismissed on the basis of the expiration of Alberta’a statute of limitations prior to the plaintiff filing his claim. The plaintiff subsequently re-filed against my clients in Arizona, which has a significantly longer limitation period than here (Alberta’s limitation period is only 2 years, while Arizona’s is apparently 6 years).

In the meantime, my clients had their American lawyer bring a counterclaim against the Plaintiff on the basis of some kind of alleged wrongful dismissal (I guess the Plaintiff was the former boss of the wife or something) and I remember my clients were telling me they were going to try to get treble damages against him in order to offset as much of the plaintiff’s claim as possible. I remember at the time not having a clue what they were talking about as we don’t have treble damages in Canada. I’ve never really given treble damages another thought until seeing them brought up in the OP here.

@Quipling @panamaican @alanb @Trotsky @JamesRussler

Can some of the American attorneys here explain treble damages to me?

In 2013 I had some clients from Scottsdale, Arizona once that were being sued here in Alberta, Canada for defaulting on an $800k loan from a friend of theirs that lived in Reno, Nevada money that my clients used to purchase a vacation home in the Canadian Rockies. The plaintiff commenced proceedings up here instead of down in Arizona or Nevada because he was looking to foreclose on the vacation property on the basis that the loan was in effect an unregistered equitable mortgage.

However, I successfully defeated the Plaintiff’s claim here by having it summarily dismissed on the basis of the expiration of Alberta’a statute of limitations prior to the plaintiff filing his claim. The plaintiff subsequently re-filed against my clients in Arizona, which has a significantly longer limitation period than here (Alberta’s limitation period is only 2 years, while Arizona’s is apparently 6 years).

In the meantime, my clients had their American lawyer bring a counterclaim against the Plaintiff on the basis of some kind of alleged wrongful dismissal (I guess the Plaintiff was the former boss of the wife or something) and I remember my clients were telling me they were going to try to get treble damages against him in order to offset as much of the plaintiff’s claim as possible. I remember at the time not having a clue what they were talking about as we don’t have treble damages in Canada. I’ve never really given treble damages another thought until seeing them brought up in the OP here.

@Quipling @panamaican @alanb @Trotsky @JamesRussler

Treble damages simply means "triple damages" – literally, just multiply the amount of compensatory damages x 3. They are basically a form of punitive damages, and they're awarded for similar reasons. I doubt your clients will be able use treble damages to "offset" their liability (assuming there is merit to their "wrongful termination" claim, and that AZ prescribes treble damages for such claims), especially when it sounds like they're using the counterclaim as a way to avoid responsibility for defaulting on an $800K personal loan.

I'm very happy THE GOAT cyclist was spared $95mil to the Govt. Bunch of bullshit imo. All these dudes he competed against did the same shit, he was just better AND he beat cancer. @therealdope

Treble damages simply means "triple damages" – literally, just multiply the amount of compensatory damages x 3. They are basically a form of punitive damages, and they're awarded for similar reasons. I doubt your clients will be able use treble damages to "offset" their liability (assuming there is merit to their "wrongful termination" claim, and that AZ prescribes treble damages for such claims), especially when it sounds like they're using the counterclaim as a way to avoid responsibility for defaulting on an $800K personal loan.

Oh, the whole thing’s long over now anyway, has been for about two years. The Plaintiff had their counterclaim thrown out on the basis of her employment contract having an arbitration clause.

In the meantime they settled on the basis of simply transferring title to the vacation property in the Rockies to the Plaintiff. No one really came out a winner as the property isn’t worth $800k anymore, which is what they paid for it back in 2007, it’s probably closer to $650k or so.

As for my former clients, they spent about $100k in legal fees on some really shitty lawyer from chicago that missed a court date for them which resulted in Court fines of about $90k (which the Plaintiff agreed to waive as part of the settlement).

I'm very happy THE GOAT cyclist was spared $95mil to the Govt. Bunch of bullshit imo. All these dudes he competed against did the same shit, he was just better AND he beat cancer. @therealdope
Agreed.

Oh, the whole thing’s long over now anyway, has been for about two years. The Plaintiff had their counterclaim thrown out on the basis of her employment contract having an arbitration clause.

In the meantime they settled on the basis of simply transferring title to the vacation property in the Rockies to the Plaintiff. No one really came out a winner as the property isn’t worth $800k anymore, which is what they paid for it back in 2007, it’s probably closer to $650k or so.

As for my former clients, they spent about $100k in legal fees on some really shitty lawyer from chicago that missed a court date for them which resulted in Court fines of about $90k (which the Plaintiff agreed to waive as part of the settlement).

You're a Canadian lawyer?

Yes. Didn’t I explain that in my earlier post?

Oh I don't think I saw that one. I just kind of inferred it from you having "clients" and getting a case dismissed in Canada.

The pseudo sport of cycling should have paid his fine. Goatstrong did more for that "sport" than everyone else combined.

Back