LA Times: Loma vs Walters or Coralles in November

salido is shot to fuck. Weren't you criticizing a potential Loma/Salido fight as Salido cherry picking a fading, war torn star in another thread?

Walters is clearly better, and Corrales is a fresh face that just beat the concensus #1 SFW, I fail to see how a war torn Salido is better
Walters is not "clearly better" in any way I can see.

This forum is overrating this guy Corrales too.

I don't think Salido has a lot left in the tank. Walters is clearly the better fighter for me at this point and would be the better fight.
I'd pick Salido to beat Walters.

Walters is not "clearly better" in any way I can see.

This forum is overrating this guy Corrales too.
walters is definitely better than Salido at this point in Salido's career.

Corrales is fresh off of a huge win, Salido has been in basically nothing but wars these past 7 or so fights. Even if you had him winning some of them them, Salido has been taking a beating lately.

walters is definitely better than Salido at this point in Salido's career.

Corrales is fresh off of a huge win, Salido has been in basically nothing but wars these past 7 or so fights. Even if you had him winning some of them them, Salido has been taking a beating lately.

The only rebuttal to that would be that Salido has been in wars his whole career so it's not that abnormal. His longevity considering his mileage is fairly remarkable.

Call me crazy, but to me the better opponent is the guy who beat him once and is "in nothing but wars." Not some guy who has looked increasingly lack luster in his last two fight or a flash in the pan with one win over a japanese champion.

I'm just glad to see Lomo fight again and walters will be a hell of a fight though I think Lomo is all wrong for him. He's freaking beautiful to watch in there.

I was under the impression Corrales would be competitive for a few rounds, and I really don't think Walters is that special, but we'll see. But, no way is either of those guys a better fight than Salido. Even shot Salido will make that fight more competitive than those guys, imo, unless Corrales turns out to be truly "special" since we don't know a lot about him, but Salido is no flash in the pan, "remarkable" was a good word to use, Jay.

IIRC most (here) didn't have Salido's chances very high the first time either, why would they have confidence in him now that Loma is more established? I get it, I get why, I pick Loma in rematch, too. But, Salido is a stiff test every time out. I don't care who he's fighting.

The only rebuttal to that would be that Salido has been in wars his whole career so it's not that abnormal. His longevity considering his mileage is fairly remarkable.
Everybody cracks sometime and this time Loma knows what to expect, I think it would be way less competitive at this point. Corrales and Walters bring fresh challenges

Meh. Not really. Salido beat the guy and is rarely in a bad fight.

Right. Walters is a way better fight so you have to be trolling. Again, Salido edged him in a very controversial SPLIT decision against, let's face it, an amateur at the time (regardless of how great he was there), in just his second pro outing and first ever 12 round fight (pacing). He was getting to Salido late and had him hurt as well (legally). Let that sink in. He missed weight and fought dirty as hell because he knew he couldn't win any other way. Lederman, who generally is quite good at scoring rounds when he isn't being biased toward some fighters, had it an even 6 rounds to 6 (all 10-9) before going to the cards with Loma visibly hurting Salido (to the head and body) in a late attempt to finish him, which Salido admitted in the ring after the fight (on a body shot). He was holding on at the end of the fight hurt and tired (to avoid being finished, obviously) and the ref allowed it to go on along with so many low blows that it was sickening to watch. Many media sources scored it a draw also (ESPN was one of them, but I don't really want to mention the fat bum there that only Queen B likes or pretends to).

Like you've already been reminded of, Salido has now been through even more wars, meaning more wear & tear, and I can't see him doing much of anything next time around because his dirty "inside game" will be shutdown or it will cost him greatly, I can assure you of that. He also won't be able to decide to just not bother making weight again (missed over 2 lbs last time), be allowed to balloon up another 19 pounds/as much as he can (was 147 lbs last time for a fight scheduled at 126, a rehydration clause will cap that this time), and then low blow his way to a controversial close decision due to terrible officiating and contractual concessions. Gammy Rodriguez, one of Loma's mandatories, had warnings and then a point deduction for low blows when he fought him because Loma decided to finally speak up and complain to the ref, which he's now been doing in all of his fights since Salido. Good on him for wanting a fair, clean fight. Salido literally needed every possible advantage in the book to earn a SPLIT against Loma, because at the time, he had all the leverage to do so (Loma wanted to make history as the fastest man to ever win a world title), so he had to concede absolutely everything to him to attempt to do it. He won't have that crazy amount of leverage now and Loma knows exactly what to expect from him and how to handle it. There are no more tricks left in his back pocket. In the first fight, he was mainly worried about the headbutts going into it, and that was it. A meeting was held about it with the ref (Cole) before the fight, but it didn't stop Salido from still doing it of course.

I agree with you though. I'd LOVE to see their rematch next because Loma won't let him do what he wants to do this time and most importantly the contract won't be 100% advantageous in his favor. He'll get his pacing right, won't let him inside for prolonged periods of time to avoid his illegal roughhousing tactics, and he won't wait too late to really engage him like last time. Salido will be a big underdog in the rematch because of this. He'll receive numerous point deductions and seriously risk being DQ'ed if he tries to fight Loma even a little bit like he did before. Lawrence Cole won't be the ref and they won't be fighting in Texas, guaranteed. Besides, Salido is looking to cash out anyway. Loma's team should just let him rather than give him a lowball offer that pissed him and his manager Sean Gibbons off. But, they don't respect him at all, he has no title (karma's a bitch), and it's a personal issue that they have with him. He's been busted for PEDs in the past and stripped of his IBF title. His reputation today is being the dirtiest fighter around given his lengthy track record of it in and out of the ring. Lomachenko WASTES him in the rematch. He isn't going to look to go to another decision, he'll be looking to knock him cold like he did Martinez.

On the flip side, Walters has a real chance of actually knocking Loma out in a CLEAN fight. Salido doesn't have that same chance at all, especially not against the Loma we're seeing today that seems rather well adjusted now to the pro game and has shown marked improvement everywhere. What you forgot is that Walters can pressure and infight really well too, and do so legally. Walters is also much bigger, has a huge 8 inch reach advantage over Loma, is a better athlete than Salido, is faster, stronger, much more powerful, and is dangerous from all three ranges. He can hurt you on the inside, from mid range and from the outside. His jab is nice, he works both the body and the head, incorporates the shoulder roll and countering off of it well too, has big power in both hands, plenty of weight on him and some height to go with all of that. You're anti-Loma, so you should be absolutely salivating for this fight to happen. Lomachenko has never fought a guy as dangerous as Walters, a fighter who can box and punch as hard on top of his many physical advantages. Walters can also go 12 hard rounds. The one negative I would say about Walters, other than being inactive lately, is his defense needs tightened up for sure. We clearly saw this in the Marriaga fight.

But, you can say the same to a much further extent for Salido, the very definition of a brawler, who has been in war after war and has much worse defense than Walters does. Salido is there to be hit, regardless of how resilient he is (he has been knocked out many times in his long career but the last time was in 2000, a very long time ago). He was getting knocked out by domestic bums early in his career and began as a journeyman after all. Knocked out in his pro debut and then four more times leading up to and including his 15th fight. An amateur was cleanly kicking his ass in the late rounds of their championship fight with only a single pro fight to his name and an 11 pound weight deficit.

Walters was clearly robbed against Sosa (who is legit and just knocked out Fortuna) if you watched the fight, if you didn't, go watch it. He should have earned a UD but it was ruled a draw. He also hurt Sosa with a short right hand in one of the early or mid rounds and has a dangerous left hook coupled with his effective jab and powerful body work. The Salido rematch is likely next and you'll hate the outcome. Just don't say I didn't tell you so.

Everybody cracks sometime and this time Loma knows what to expect, I think it would be way less competitive at this point. Corrales and Walters bring fresh challenges

Sigh just like Mr PUO you had your opportunity to acquire a shard of the Nexus, yet you didn't awaken your inner juices. Show us your greatness Mr Fist.

Back