LA LA LAND (Oscar Winner for Best Picture.. for a Few Seconds)

If you have seen LA LA LAND, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Westworld and its actors should win all the awards at the Oscars eventhough it is not a movie.

It is just that darn good.

Update: January 8, 2017

LA LA LAND Breaks Record with Clean Sweep at 2017 Golden Globes

96demd.jpg

The 2017 Golden Globe Awards went gaga for La La Land. Writer/director Damien Chazelle‘s original musical scored a clean sweep, winning in every single category in which it was nominated including Best Picture Musical or Comedy, Best Director, Best Actress for Emma Stone and Best Actor for Ryan Gosling.

La La Land won seven awards in total, setting a new Golden Globes record for the most wins by a single film. The previous record of six wins was held by One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and Midnight Express.

Elsewhere in the film awards, the biggest surprise of the night came with Aaron Taylor-Johnson‘s Best Supporting Actor win for Nocturnal Animals. His performance is indeed excellent in Tom Ford‘s underrated thriller, but Mahershala Ali was the clear frontrunner in this category for his towering performance in Moonlight and has been picking up critics awards left and right.

Golden Globe Winners 2017: ‘La La Land’ Breaks Record with Clean Sweep

Just saw it a couple of days ago. Brilliant and beautiful. Should sweep next month at the Oscars.
Reminds me of the buzz Shakespeare in Love had back in 98. Hollywood loves this type of movie.

I tried to watch it but couldn't get through the traffic jam scene.
Turns out I'm not into musicals no matter how much people talk it up.
IMO the best movies were The Nice Guys, Arrival, and Hail Caesar.

Wife and I both liked it a lot. Unfortunately, as with Shakespeare in Love, the gushing praise from Hollywood due to the fact that it's a movie about Hollywood forces me to be critical of something I like. As another comment I read so eloquently stated, this is basically "Things Film Buffs Are Nostalgic For - The Movie." It was a fun and well crafted movie. It did not deserve to set records at the Golden Globes.

I like it. I actually saw the whole thing through without falling asleep. Maybe cuz I was watching with my friends and we're talking throughout the movie.

I also like the non-cliche ending.

Hell or High Water was a bargain barrel Coen brothers movie. Super standard fare stuff

Only upside of HoHW was that Chris Pine and Ben Foster were terrific. Jeff bridges still doing his john wayne in True Grit shtick for everythig these days

Hell or High Water was a bargain barrel Coen brothers movie. Super standard fare stuff

Only upside of HoHW was that Chris Pine and Ben Foster were terrific. Jeff bridges still doing his john wayne in True Grit shtick for everythig these days

I liked it but it definitely didn't strike me as anything spectacular. Foster steals almost every movie he's in. Pine was awesome too as you said.

I've always liked Bridges and he was fun to watch in this, but, I agree, I felt like he was channeling his Rooster Cogburn stuff from 6 years ago, just dialed back a bit.

I liked it but it definitely didn't strike me as anything spectacular. Foster steals almost every movie he's in. Pine was awesome too as you said.

I've always liked Bridges and he was fun to watch in this, but, I agree, I felt like he was channeling his Rooster Cogburn stuff from 6 years ago, just dialed back a bit.

I still can't wrap my brain around how Ben Foster has been turning out excellent performances from terrible scripts for a decade and still hasn't made it big.

Is LaLaLand really that good?

I have been expecting Moonlight to win, because the Oscars don't like being called so white

I haven't seen either movie, admittedly. Going to see Rogue One tomorrow at 10:30 am in the shaking/moving seats though!
Yes, its that good.

I tried to watch it but couldn't get through the traffic jam scene.
Turns out I'm not into musicals no matter how much people talk it up.
IMO the best movies were The Nice Guys, Arrival, and Hail Caesar.
Jokes on you... not another scene in the movie like it.

Went with mom, sister and wife...
Loved it. Went again and loved it, even made me cry quite a few times. Learning some of the songs on the piano, too. Trust me: take your wife or girlfriend, it is your duty and you'll have a great time

Yes, its that good.

Is it really?

I got about halfway through it before tapping out, but I dislike just about any movie where the characters break out into song.

To be fair, I had just finished watching Arrival and was NOT in the head space for this kind of movie. Also, I didn't actually turn La-La-Land off, I had a power failure, and when the power came back on I couldn't be bothered to find my place again. I had actually been enjoying it, just not that much.

OK, I just talked myself into giving it another chance.

Thanks for the help!

I just can't get behind musicals being considered for good acting. Not trying to detract from them but I don't think they deserve to be included in best movie categories (unless it's like the GG's with best comedy and musical category)

I just can't get behind musicals being considered for good acting. Not trying to detract from them but I don't think they deserve to be included in best movie categories (unless it's like the GG's with best comedy and musical category)

lol

....this is actually the dumbest thing I've read today

I don't get what all this hype for this movie is about.

Back