Kyoto University Kosen Judo Class

Sandan2008

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
While on vacation in Kyoto, Japan I watched a Kosen Judo class at Kyoto University. See what a 3-hour workout looks like at one of the few places that practice this style of ground fighting.

Really neat look into the university training. Thanks for sharing that video. I wonder how I would fair in that style of training. If I was a young man without a family it would have been nice to visit and train with those dudes.

I didn't see sensei bolden's pic on the wall. That university looks suspect.

I thought Kosen is just a short name for middle school judo that allows for more matwork.

Thats pretty neat.
Just wondering, how often is ground work practiced in judo (I know jack shit about judo btw), I don't see it too often in the Olympics. If I do, I usually see it from an unsuccessful throw, then they're stalled on the ground for maybe up to a 1 min, then they're stood back up.

j123 - I mentioned in the vid that Kodokan judo (in Olympics) is about 70% standing, 30% on the ground. Kosen is the opposite. They still do a lot of uchikomi and standing randori, but mostly sacrifices.

In the early 2000s judo had gotten to a point where there was virtually no newaza. 3-5 seconds on the mat then stand up. It was so sad. Then BJJ gained huge popularity and voila, now newaza is back in the mix. Still, the emphasis is on throwing and pins, not submissions.

I thought Kosen is just a short name for middle school judo that allows for more matwork.
That may be, I'm not sure. I don't know exactly what it was and why it was formed back in the day. I just know that it's a style of judo with the emphasis being on submissions and groundwork, not throwing. They did do a lot of uchikomis and nagewaza randori at Kyoto University. The majority of what they do though, is newaza techniques and newaza randori.

Cool stuff. Slick leg lasso sweep in there, they go to that position a lot it looks like. Kinda cool also how at home a bjj practitioner would be in there, would love to roll with those guys.

That may be, I'm not sure. I don't know exactly what it was and why it was formed back in the day. I just know that it's a style of judo with the emphasis being on submissions and groundwork, not throwing. They did do a lot of uchikomis and nagewaza randori at Kyoto University. The majority of what they do though, is newaza techniques and newaza randori.
That is due to the influence of the current sensei.

I would expect the students to already have a solid competition judo throw level before they reach uni.

They didn't seem to be super great on standup tbh. Some college kid from Spain was there and he looked like a standard judo style player and he was throwing a few of them around.

Kosen judo is what you'll get when you allow unskilled dragdowns and extended time for groundfighting; the guy with less standup skills will automatically pull guard to avoid a score and presto you have a 90% newaza style.

Kosen judo is what you'll get when you allow unskilled dragdowns and extended time for groundfighting; the guy with less standup skills will automatically pull guard to avoid a score and presto you have a 90% newaza style.

That's why scoring by riding time is superior.

Awesome video. Would love to visit this club. Some slick newaza going on there. Would really love to see these guys compete in some sub grappling comps. Is JJ even on their radar? I'm sure they are well aware of it. Have any of these guys (besides Yuki Nakai and Koji Komuro) ever gave it a serious go? I suppose their is still quite a difference in rule set though. Perhaps JJ ruleset is just not very appealing.

Thats pretty neat.
Just wondering, how often is ground work practiced in judo (I know jack shit about judo btw), I don't see it too often in the Olympics. If I do, I usually see it from an unsuccessful throw, then they're stalled on the ground for maybe up to a 1 min, then they're stood back up.
Probably depends on the coach. The only judo I've done was one class at Jimmy Pedro's, but we were working on pins and turnovers that night.

Probably depends on the coach. The only judo I've done was one class at Jimmy Pedro's, but we were working on pins and turnovers that night.

Yes, it may be dependent on your club and coach, but many clubs around the word have general randori sessions without any technical drills where you just roll either standing or in newaza for an extended period of time.

Kyoto University is known for great newaza and bellow average standup.
Keep in mind that IJF is looking to launch newaza only tournaments next year, so most probably that is what they will look like.
Good thing is that in international Judo competition there are no belt divisions, so it will be black belt only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back