Kyokushin

Ask women about rape.scenarios. I am not a guy looking for an escuse.to start.swinging but.I have no problems to swing at anyone challenging me. See I come from.Eastern Europe where fights do.happen at work places. I.shared a story.here an year ago about a guy that attacked me at work. These things happen here.
I'd suggest you find a better workplace then. I've lived all my life in Russia and Poland (both Eastern Europe) and have NEVER been physically attacked at work. Or on a soccer field for that matter, even as a kid.

Don't give Eastern Europe a bad name. Maybe the fault lies not in the geographical or social specifics but rather in your attitude?

I'd suggest you find a better workplace then. I've lived all my life in Russia and Poland (both Eastern Europe) and have NEVER been physically attacked at work. Or on a soccer field for that matter, even as a kid.

Don't give Eastern Europe a bad name. Maybe the fault lies not in the geographical or social specifics but rather in your attitude?

Not sure about work - I think to be attacked at work is extremely rare and probably because you cheated or something just as bad lol.

To be fair though I have seen people physically attacked on a football field in London - but that was when I was a teenager.

Street advantages training Kyokushin gives you.
You learn to fight bare knuckle and make your fist properly so it won't break on the other guys face. A lot of fighters who compete with gloves end up with hand injuries when it happens in the street. It also helps with naturally gauging distance. On the street that extra 1-3 inches on the gloves you trained with is the difference between knocking some motherfucker clean out or just giving him a bad scare.
Kicks are powerful and basic focused on practical fighting. Very few flashy and improbable kicks.
Lastly, you mightn't always be in shape but the mental toughness never leaves you. The Kyokushin spirit is for life... Osu!

Disadvantages.
Attacking and defending the head are just not trained seriously.
You learn the Kihon and maybe hit a few pads but the concept of head movement and taking angles just isn't there.
You never spar head strikes so it doesn't train in the muscle memory and instinct to attack the head. This is a serious deficiency in the style.
I think they tried out some Knockdown rules where a bubble helmet was worn and head strikes allowed but it didn't take off.

This is pretty accurate.

I think a lot of people underestimate the importance of being mentally tough when it comes to handling combat situations outside sport environments. If you fade or freeze mentally you're already at a massive disadvantage.

What thing I've seen in most Kyokushin guys training at my old dojo is that all of them had heart and mental toughness and would definitely be difficult to put down in a combat situation as they would never give up.

Another advantage which wasn't touched on in the above quoted post is the mentality of ippon in Kyokushin Karate, which is to finish the opponent / go for the kill. In Kyokushin and Knockdown Karate the objective is to land a strike or a combo that will put down your opponent. Of course it's also an objective in boxing, kickboxing and Muay Thai but in those arts you can win on points. In Kyokushin and Knockdown Karate, you have to go hard from the get go as it's only 1 round unless it ends in a draw and then extension rounds get added on the go. This is actually a plus as it teaches a habit of going guns blazing straight away rather than trying to find your rhythm like in Muay Thai for instance. This is very valuable in combat situations, going for the kill straight away with everything you've got.

Granted the head defence and head movement might not be as developed as a boxer for example, but Kyokushin guys will have no problem punching someone's head bare knuckle.

Great post. Obviously there are many advantages to training in a full-contact art such as Kyokushin, but the biggest deficiencies are lack of head strikes (and therefore cover and defense), as well as footwork and angles. As someone else stated, the rock ‘em sock ‘em style can cause a fighter to taking a lot of unnecessary damage. Add to the fact that you may not be used to keeping your hands up to parry, catch or block punches to the head and that could easily lead to waking up staring at the lights.

Great post. Obviously there are many advantages to training in a full-contact art such as Kyokushin, but the biggest deficiencies are lack of head strikes (and therefore cover and defense), as well as footwork and angles. As someone else stated, the rock ‘em sock ‘em style can cause a fighter to taking a lot of unnecessary damage. Add to the fact that you may not be used to keeping your hands up to parry, catch or block punches to the head and that could easily lead to waking up staring at the lights.

In that case we could also argue that learning to defend and block head punches with boxing gloves is detrimental too. You won't be able to rely on that big padding when you're blocking punches and most of them will go through, see what happened to Gokhan Saki a few days ago.

Also, there is footwork in Kyokushin.

In that case we could also argue that learning to defend and block head punches with boxing gloves is detrimental too. You won't be able to rely on that big padding when you're blocking punches and most of them will go through, see what happened to Gokhan Saki a few days ago.

It certainly is if you are fighting with mma gloves or bare knuckle. Do you have any videos of Kyokushin fighters utilizing advanced footwork? Most of the videos I have seen involve moving forward and backward with very little use of angles.

It certainly is if you are fighting with mma gloves or bare knuckle. Do you have any videos of Kyokushin fighters utilizing advanced footwork? Most of the videos I have seen involve moving forward and backward with very little use of angles.

Some examples that come to mind:

Last edited:
I think they tried out some Knockdown rules where a bubble helmet was worn and head strikes allowed but it didn't take off.

Shinken shobu of kyokushinkan is one example. It is growing steadily -esp in europe.

Shinken shobu of kyokushinkan is one example. It is growing steadily -esp in europe.

I kinda like it, but the sequence starting at 1:43 !!!! Holy fuck. Please tell me it's NOT something you are taught in Kyokushin, or in any other type of Karate... And it's just that one guy...

Last edited:
I kinda like it, but the sequence starting at 1:43 !!!! Holy fuck. Please tell me it's not something you are taught in Kyokushin, or in any other type of Karate... And it's just that one guy...

Lets just say that it is NOT a recommended tactic :)

This one looks good and already way too different from the other videos posted here. Although I can comment a lot already on the poor approach to attacks and counters. Most attacks look really hopeful rather than organized and planned. Most hitting techniques are executed poorly. What ARIZE noted at 1:43 is nice but poor technique punch walking forward used mostly in mid range fighting in boxing. The karateka is chosing it for long range initiating and it looks kind of a hopeful rush done by a newbie boxer.

Any of these goof balls doubting Kyokushin's "SD" effectiveness imagine someone who doesn't know their opponents capabilities eating, lets just say, two of those body shot, leg kick, 5 strike combos....
Sry guys, if you had no clue that's what you were about to eat U'd B fucked up so bad and would never get a "head shot" or capitalize on "bad footwork"

Just let it go!

Face punching I will give you, you build up upon habits by your training. I'm told however alot, esp. in east Europe do bang city and still train head punching despite not competing with them.

About as much as BJJ schools drill takedowns - not nearly sufficient enough. Some only offer it as extra training after class for those interested. They don't even scratch the surface.

Its not too wildly different from KB, but its still very interesting even though it'd professional rock em sock em bang bots

Range is completely different, tactics completely different.

It is detrimental for sure. But you're still learning all of the basics and fundamentals as part of your training. You're learning how to come in/off angles, how to manage distance, how to keep your head off center, how to slip/weave/dip/parry - you're still learning how to maneuver into advantageous positions & avoid poor positioning etc. These skills are transferable whether you're using boxing gloves or not.

In kyokushin training - you're learning none of the above & the little you do is only applicable to knockdown. Also in Kyokushin we don't learn how to maneuver into body punching range when face punching is allowed. In knockdown sparring all we ever have to worry about is kicks when getting into body punching range.

The footwork in kyokushin karate is also poor - we both know it is. There are of course guys like Darren & O'Neill but they are a very small minority & even then their footwork is based around knockdown karate positioning & optimal for that only. If you do kyokushin karate and spar kickboxing - the chances are your footwork will be perfectly fine.

Gokhan Saki got TKO'd but he got knocked down from a right hand counter when he threw a low kick without a setup (something that he might have been alright doing in kickboxing). Of course he would have been fine with big padded gloves if he had done the exact same thing in kickboxing.

But throw in a guy with only kyokushin karate and knockdown experience for striking and the results will be far worse because he's missing more from the striking skill set than someone like Saki (or someone doing kickboxing or MT).

You do realise that K-1 comes from some Kyokushin practitioners right?

Ive no issue with that lol, but why the costumes? If you people on here want to compare it to street fighting or other combat sports like muay thai, no gi jiu jitsu, boxing etc then ditch the costumes for competitions.

In that case we could also argue that learning to defend and block head punches with boxing gloves is detrimental too.

It is. Pick your poison. However, there's a difference between adding useless stuff and missing cruical stuff of striking.

Back