Kyokushin vs Taekwondo Conditioning

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Nyanav, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Nyanav White Belt

Nyanav
    I read that kyokushin karate incorporates harder physical conditioning than taekwondo, but why are the kyokushin guys more bulkier(sometimes fatter) than the taekwondo guys? Taekwondo guys are very thin and limber. I just want to ask which of those two is better for weight loss and health?

2. spacetime Purple Belt

spacetime
    Conditioning can be quite extensive in some TKD dojangs. A lot of the training methods before drills are identical also, so there really isn't much difference if you seek the excercise first and foremost.

3. Tayski Green Belt

Tayski
    Try both and you'll see for yourself. However I can tell you Kyokushin is known for its really hard physical conditioning and out of all the styles I've trained in and dabbed in, Kyokushin is up there in terms of the hardest conditioning. It's not as much of a focus in Tae Kwon Do considering the art and competition formats.
    Kyokushin is a lot about developing strength and being able to go through damage and pain, hence the hardcore conditioning. Tae Kwon Do is more about flexibility and speed (even though some dojangs do some conditioning too). That's a very simple way to look at it.

LeonardoBjj likes this.
  4. spacetime Purple Belt

spacetime
    But if he wants to lose weight, I don't think there's any difference between the choices. Maybe TKD is even preferrable then, who knows.

5. CFGroup Blue Belt

CFGroup
    When U say "some DoJangs do 'some' conditioning" what r u talking about?

My old DoJang was all about 5:30am conditioning sessions, maybe because our Sah Boo Nim competed at the National level qualifying for the Olympic team?

Kyokushin does more contact conditioning probably a hold over from the founders Go Ju roots.

6. Tayski Green Belt

Tayski
    I'm talking about contact conditioning, taking hits. Not anaerobics conditioning / circuit training which is of course present in both martial arts.

I've never seen this kind of conditioning in Tae Kwon Do (I've only trained a few times at 3 different dojangs in my whole life though):

I still never seen online footage or anyone mentioning doing that kind of physical conditioning in Tae Kwon Do.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    biscuitsbrah likes this.
  7. AshiharaFan Purple Belt

AshiharaFan
    My personal experience in both arts leads me to believe that this is true. The style of TKD I used to take by the way was WTF.

Alot of the more serious Kyokushin practitioners also have a regular strength training routine with weights. Because of the way Kyokushin Kumite is carried out it helps to have some extra muscle for both power and a little bit of body armor. Even the people you describe as "fatter" than TKD guys can take a hit better than a lot of other people due to the extra padding in addition to the body conditioning.

Serious TKD guys, by comparison, may be thinner and more limber and that will be due to the differences in focus as far as conditioning is concerned. WTF TKD students place more focus on speed drills, footwork agility and I believe even cardio than Kyokushin guys do. But I think the Kyokushin guys place more emphasis on strength training and body toughening than the TKD guys do, hence the differences in physical build.

They're both good for weight loss and health if you include that as a point of focus in your training. But I think WTF TKD is inherently better oriented at weight loss than Kyokushin for the reasons I listed above with their methods of fitness and conditioning.

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  8. spacetime Purple Belt

spacetime
    Bare knuckle conditioning in ITF is a requirement since breaking is obligatory for black belt, just like in Kyokushin. And conditioning for hits also occurs. We have had excercises to simply kick and puch each others stomaches, no protection worn.

9. shinkyoku Purple Belt

shinkyoku
    In tkd it pays to be skinny and fast. It is a game of who hits who first. Power is a bonus, but not neccecary. Muscles are bulky and slows you down.
    In kyokushin it pays to be muscular and able to take punishment. It is a game who can take the most punishment and still hand out more in return. Speed is nice, but if you can endure more than the opponent, you can afford to be slower.

If you are overweight, kyokushin is more forgiving -provided you can take a hit. But you cannot be weak, and the conditioning for building muscles (conditioning for getting used to taking hits is a separate matter) are grueling.

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  10. spacetime Purple Belt

spacetime
    Which is why free fighting kumite of Kyokushin is very little art and many Karatekas don't concider it Karate, including former Kyokushin champs.

11. spacetime Purple Belt

spacetime
    Kyokushin guys are obsessed with posting clips of their training in their art EVERY THREAD on Kyokushin or related. This is why they are unbearable.

12. AshiharaFan Purple Belt

AshiharaFan
    Your unfounded hatred of Kyokushin and undying obsession with ITF TKD is equally unbearable my man. You don't even realize how hypocritical you are. Everything you said about how Kyokushin guys post how much they love their art you are doing the same thing everytime you post the love you have for ITF TKD. Why is it okay for you to feel the way that you do about TKD but it's wrong for others to feel the same way about what they train in? Seriously bro, when are you going to grow up?

And for the record I too am turned off by today's Kyokushin competitions BUT I will tell you this; REAL FIGHTS happen in close quarters trench fighting not in the tag you're it foot fighting style that is typical of TKD. And REAL FIGHTING also requires physical toughness. For those reasons I will take Kyokushin over any style of TKD any day. If a one-on-one fight without weapons were to happen on the streets between a standard ITF TKD guy and a standard Kyokushin guy I'm putting my money on the Kyokushin guy. Even in a prison fight for that matter.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  13. AshiharaFan Purple Belt

AshiharaFan
    I'm just realizing how silly this statement is. If it's a THREAD ON KYOKUSHIN then of course proud practitioners will post Kyokushin clips in that thread. Duuuuh. o_O

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  14. spacetime Purple Belt

spacetime
    I am doing it specifically for that purpose. As for who wins in a street fight, that is immature style vs style nonsense.

15. AshiharaFan Purple Belt

AshiharaFan
    No you're not. You're doing it specifically out of blind hypocrisy. I'll bet you didn't even realize you were doing it until I pointed it out.

It's not so much as Kyokushin vs ITF TKD as it is one person who endures brutal physical conditioning and is physically tough all around the edges against someone who does not possess those attributes. Let your childish bias blind you all you want but the FACT is that this is how real fights go down and this is part of what it takes to survive a real fight.

16. spacetime Purple Belt

spacetime
    No Dude. Stephen Thompson is from fucking Kempo Karate, one of the most Mcdojo styles there is, and he would still kick plenty of Kyokushin guys ass, and Anthony Pettis from ATA Taekwondo, a Fake TKD school.

17. AshiharaFan Purple Belt

AshiharaFan
    You may be right. The fact that he trained Japanese Goju will make it difficult to concretely disprove this. But there is equally a possibility that Sosai Oyama was really big on contact conditioning because of him seeking "The Ultimate Truth" in combat. Perhaps he came to the conclusion that one should be physically hardened in order to be strong.

18. AshiharaFan Purple Belt

AshiharaFan
    Who is the Kyokushin fighter(s) whose ass Wonderboy kicked???

19. spacetime Purple Belt

spacetime
    He is an undefeated kickboxer, yet was trained in shitty Kempo Karate. It is the fighter not the art.

20. spacetime Purple Belt

spacetime
    GSP stated that Wonderboy is the greater skriker he's ever sparred. There, a former Kyokushin guy