kyokushin roundhouse kick

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
ok guys, im getting more and more into kyokushin. I know there are a ton of instructional videos out there, hours long, the information is a bit overwhelming. So I wanted to ask for 2 things.

1) a link to a short/quick clip of how to do the kyokushin roundhouse?

2) can someone explain how to do the kyokushin roundhouse? how is it different from muaythai?

1) google/youtube yourself
2) difference between muay thai and tkd/karate is that muay thai is all about hitting through the target. Legs are more straight and thrown like a bat. Hitting through the target and going all the way around. That's why you see guys spin 360° after missing a kick or shadowboxing.

TKD/karate is more of a snap kick.They bend their knees and snap it straight then back. You won't ever see a tkd/karate spin all the way around. They lift their legs up, turn body, and stretch/snap their legs out for the kick then return to normal position.

There are many videos comparing the 2 and explaining the differences. I might edit this post later to add a video if I'm bored enough and have time.

Each kick has it's pros and cons. Muay Thai kick is more powerful for one.

1) google/youtube yourself
2) difference between muay thai and tkd/karate is that muay thai is all about hitting through the target. Legs are more straight and thrown like a bat. Hitting through the target and going all the way around. That's why you see guys spin 360° after missing a kick or shadowboxing.

TKD/karate is more of a snap kick.They bend their knees and snap it straight then back. You won't ever see a tkd/karate spin all the way around. They lift their legs up, turn body, and stretch/snap their legs out for the kick then return to normal position.

There are many videos comparing the 2 and explaining the differences. I might edit this post later to add a video if I'm bored enough and have time.

Each kick has it's pros and cons. Muay Thai kick is more powerful for one.

He asked for kyokushin kicks, not tkd or semi-contact based karate where speed and 'touch' is more important than knocking down your opponent...

I'm at work at the moment but good videos I can recommend are from Kenji Midori man... he has great mawashi geri videos and actually teaches the importance of strengthening it's core muscles (muscles used when doing the kyokushin mawashigeri/round house)

there is a lot of variants even on basic techniques within kyokushin. The attitude is "if you can KO with it, it is all good."
I would say this is the basic version. But I am sure other kyokushin guys would disagree. some would pull the knee up more to the side.

Oh, and freaky. Note the spinning around version. Its just that in karate you expect to hit something, and start by learning how to pull back the kick with control after the hit (to kick again quickly). Spinning around is easy, but you only get one kick doing it.

Artur Hovhannisian points out the importance of pointing the knee so the kick goes through the opponent. Midori above does it as he kicks, but neglect to point it out -showing only the point where the foot starts the snap movement

Not well explained, but note how Yuki Maeda jumps in the foot pivot. He does not kick and drag the foot into pivot, but jumps in the pivot and thereby add power to the kick.

Some would "step in" the pivot, but that is more a distance closing method, and most frown on it as it telegraphs the attack to someone with Machida "elusiveness".
It is considered a bit of a beginner method. Bar Rutten (kyokushin background) show it pretty well.

Last edited:
there is a lot of variants even on basic techniques within kyokushin. The attitude is "if you can KO with it, it is all good."
I would say this is the basic version. But I am sure other kyokushin guys would disagree. some would pull the knee up more to the side.

Oh, and freaky. Note the spinning around version. Its just that in karate you expect to hit something, and start by learning how to pull back the kick with control after the hit (to kick again quickly). Spinning around is easy, but you only get one kick doing it.

Artur Hovhannisian points out the importance of pointing the knee so the kick goes through the opponent. Midori above does it as he kicks, but neglect to point it out -showing only the point where the foot starts the snap movement

Not well explained, but note how Yuki Maeda jumps in the foot pivot. He does not kick and drag the foot into pivot, but jumps in the pivot and thereby add power to the kick.

Some would "step in" the pivot, but that is more a distance closing method, and most frown on it as it telegraphs the attack to someone with Machida "elusiveness".
It is considered a bit of a beginner method. Bar Rutten (kyokushin background) show it pretty well.

thanks bro, very helpfull, exaclty what I was looking for. I watched and saved all the videos. Yuki maeda video, i didnt see him hopping, more like raising onto the ball of the foot and pivoting, like I was discussing in my other thread, looked pretty much like a muay thai style kick to me. This is why i like kyokushin, they sacrifice just a bit of power, for speed! Im looking to incorporate it into my muay thai.

question: when raising the knee for the kick, is he raising it in front of him the same you would for a muay thai knee strike? or is it slightly to the side? angled at all? is it brought "around" a bit?

Now rather than created another thread, and since you seem to know wtf is up, let me ask you. Can you do the same thing for me for the Kyokushin teep please?

I really would like to see more kyokushin stuff discussed here on the forums.

thanks bro, very helpfull, exaclty what I was looking for. I watched and saved all the videos. Yuki maeda video, i didnt see him hopping, more like raising onto the ball of the foot and pivoting,

This guy explains it pretty good, but due to his age he is not very impressive in his own kicking (He should have had a student do the "show" part of the show and tell):

question: when raising the knee for the kick, is he raising it in front of him the same you would for a muay thai knee strike? or is it slightly to the side? angled at all? is it brought "around" a bit?
you lift the knee slightly to the side and twist it in with the hip. The angle you lift the knee to the side is a bit personal. Some do more, others less. You can lift the knee straight forward like a frontkick, but it is not very powerful and more used in point karate -and sometimes to disguise a roundkick as a frontkick, sacrificing power for sneakiness. or can lift straight to the side and get it pretty powerful -but slow and obvious.
Its a bit hard to get good vids of it (there has apparently been a lot or copyright cleansing on youtube since I spent a lot of time there), but here is shinkyokushin japanese national coach Kensatsu Yamamoto giving a fairly good idea of how it is done.

Now rather than created another thread, and since you seem to know wtf is up, let me ask you. Can you do the same thing for me for the Kyokushin teep please?
I think I have used up enough of my increasingly rare free time online for a while. Maybe another time. Or you could take the time to go through the excellent videos I linked for you in several previous threads.
I really would like to see more kyokushin stuff discussed here on the forums.
So would I. Im just tired of going over the same stuff over and over again.

Last edited:
This guy explains it pretty good, but due to his age he is not very impressive in his own kicking (He should have had a student do the "show" part of the show and tell):

you lift the knee slightly to the side and twist it in with the hip. The angle you lift the knee to the side is a bit personal. Some do more, others less. You can lift the knee straight forward like a frontkick, but it is not very powerful and more used in point karate -and sometimes to disguise a roundkick as a frontkick, sacrificing power for sneakiness. or can lift straight to the side and get it pretty powerful -but slow and obvious.
Its a bit hard to get good vids of it (there has apparently been a lot or copyright cleansing on youtube since I spent a lot of time there), but here is shinkyokushin japanese national coach Kensatsu Yamamoto giving a fairly good idea of how it is done.

I think I have used up enough of my increasingly rare free time online for a while. Maybe another time. Or you could take the time to go through the excellent videos I linked for you in several previous threads.

So would I. Im just tired of going over the same stuff over and over again.

awesome thanks!

the post you made yesterday, the first video, was precisely what I was looking for, specifically utilizing the kyokushin style kick to the head. I just did 100 1-2 punch to "kick to jodan"(?) this morning, training 2 x day for my next fight in 3 weeks.

I just did 100 1-2 punch to "kick to jodan"(?) this morning, training 2 x day for my next fight in 3 weeks.

If you're wondering what jodan means, in Karate Jodan means "high".

There are 3 levels for 3 strikes (punches, kicks, etc...):
  • Gedan (low)
  • Chudan (mid)
  • Jodan (high)
images-11.jpg

If you're wondering what jodan means, in Karate Jodan means "high".

There are 3 levels for 3 strikes (punches, kicks, etc...):
  • Gedan (low)
  • Chudan (mid)
  • Jodan (high)
images-11.jpg

thanks man, i was wondering like damn, now im gonna have to learn all these words too! why cant they just say low middle high! lol i take it, its japanese for the same words.

Back