Kyokushin/Muay Thai pros and cons

How old are they in that vid? Should senior citizens be allowed to risk their health like that?

They're about 60. Both of them are former champions with hundreds of fights, they know they're doing. And it's Thailand.

They're about 60. Both of them are former champions with hundreds of fights, they know they're doing. And it's Thailand.
Land of the free.

I will say that I don't think driving is particularly smart if you've had a hard sparring session and eaten some punches to the face. I've had instances where I'm driving and literally a whole junk of time just goes by while I'm spaced out. I'm sure others here have experienced that too. It kind of made me re-evaluate whether I need to be doing this to my brain if it's a lifestyle for me. I have no aims of being a professional fighter - so don't really need to be doing that. I'm fine with light/medium sparring but don't really need to be sparring hard.

That's one good thing about kyokushin sparring - no headshots means you save more brain cells but at the expense of realism. But on the flip side - you can still get concussed with a kick/knee or if someone accidentally blasts you in the face full force with a punch (I've had that happen to me multiple times). To be honest I've come to appreciate the semi-contact approach - you're learning how to deal with punches but not really getting concussed in the process.

Ideally it would be great to have semi contact (head) & full contact (body/legs). But it's rare to find a dojo/gym that does both - usually it does one more than the other or one better. From my experience as well trying out quite a few styles - most do one or the other. Very few gyms do both. A lot of full contact gyms as well you have to contend with light sparring actually turning into medium or hard sparring - that happens often. People treat sparring as a competition rather than a learning process in full contact gyms. In semi-contact I've found people are a lot more careful with smacking you to hard in the face.
Its pretty much impaired driving at the end of the day. Being sweaty sucks esp. when public transit stalls due to problems. Worse is in the summer when its crammed tight and humid, and I'm still sweating. I shower when I get home, the gym showers are crap and it means I have to haul more weight with towels, shampoo, soap, etc and my bag barely fits what I have on me.

It's hard to find the semi-contact you mention, because when it gets to bang mode it goes out the door. Guy brings his girl to watch, boom, he in bang mode.

I will sound like a broken record, but i find that TKD ITF (at least at my school) has a good mentality for semi contact. You don't have the low kicks, but if you cross train, you will get plenty of other benefits.
And you can still kick hard. It's usually the punches to the head that are expected to be semi contact. But since it's more about speed than power, the sparring can be very competitive, but without the body abuse of KK or MT, and without the head abuse of KB and Boxing...
At least that's my opinion from my personal experience.

Been to lots of MT gyms, but only one TKD, so i may be wrong. But from discussions, and what i can see from tournaments etc, I thing it's pretty much the same mentality.

Lol. @AndyMaBobs actually has posted some solid stuff before, including some articles about techniques, but you definitely haven't ever posted anything good though.

First you said that elbows were not allowed in sparring in Sweden, now you're changing it to amateur fights. Guess what, both exists: http://www.ifmamuaythai.org/wp-cont...A-RULES-AND-REGULATIONS_03MAR2017_UPDATED.pdf

Please stop embarrassing yourself.

I am not a Muay Thai practitioner but even I know that some techniques are prohibited in Sweden. Perhaps it was knees to the the head.

Just wanted to quote this out of context. :D
I'm starting to think maybe the reason Greeks didn't want chickas in the wrasslin' pen was to avoid guys going 100% bang mode in sparring and ruining things...... either that or they just wanted to... keep the fellas to themselves with no cockblocking cray

Karate is martial arts, but more arts than martial. Muay Thai is artistic as well, but is more practical and useful, and less limited. It's probably more fun to train too.

I'm starting to think maybe the reason Greeks didn't want chickas in the wrasslin' pen was to avoid guys going 100% bang mode in sparring and ruining things......
Yep. They also knew that as soon as you let women into the Olympics the whole Olympic village turns into a huge fuckfest / orgy...

I am not a Muay Thai practitioner but even I know that some techniques are prohibited in Sweden. Perhaps it was knees to the the head.

Not they're not. Please try again.

Only if you're 12 to 13. (and you probably are)

200.gif

I believe he's referring to this.
Also, I've heard @j123 really likes the music.

Sounds just as bad as fighter's wives cheering them on. Surprised the opposing fighter doesn't jump out of the cage to shut it off

Please someone correct me if I am wrong but I always thought one of the primary benefits of training and competing in karate is the emphasis on each strike landing with maximum force.

Oh really. Inform me then of amateur Swedish Thaiboxning fights with elbows allowed. You are the one talking out of your ass.

Swedish muaythai federation uses several types of rules.
WMC rules are used for professional fights. Elbows are allowed.
IFMA rules are used in some amateur international level fights. Elbows are allowed.
SMTF fullcontact rules are used in local level events, and are divided into A-, B-, C-, and junior-C classes. A- class can fight with elbows but the arrangers need to apply for approval for each event. In B-class elbow are allowed if they use elbow guards.
in C- and junior class, elbows are not allowed -neither are knees to the head.
Then there is SMTF Semi contact rules (Diplom-, D-, and junior-D Class), which are all light/no-contact. Mostly for kids. No elbows. No knees to the head, Diplom and junior D also bans kicks to the head.

Last edited:
Back