Kyokushin Influences in Dutch Kickboxing

http://www.muaythaischolar.com/best-muay-thai-stance/

apparently muay thai has much more stances than i thought XD i think that the western muay thai guys and maybe even the dutch guys use something close to the "balanced (Narrow)" stance. i have seen a few thais use it too when they are on the attack. have you heard of "caged muay thai" ? the thing is it is a full muay thai ruleset , yet the fighters often are in the "balanced" stance and not in the typical one where they bounce the front foot. the traditional style has about 30% in the front and 70% in the back. but even the article mentioned that the stance is fading since boxing is becoming more relevant in muay thai and the direction is going towards the balanced stance
yeah i love john wayne parrs cmt bro.I think its cool they use 4 ounce gloves. I usually watch my muay thai on that channel muay ties. I honestly dont see alot of great punching on there. I see alot of the traditional stance. It seems the knees,kicking and clinching stifle the punchers alot.

i see Dutch kickboxing more of a hybrid of boxing stance and muay thai techniques. what infuences did karate take?

Look at modern dutch muay thai fighters like nieky holzken or robin van roosmalen. They all started in muay thai and dont use any karate techniques nor did they do any karate. look up their first fights,. And what about ramon dekkers? He never did anything else but muay thai.

Those who created the first few Dutch Kickboxing gyms and that "style" of "Dutch Kickboxing" were all Kyokushin guys who combined Kyokushin with boxing, and then later took a lot from Muay Thai when they discovered how good the Thai fighters were. The origin of the Dutch style is a mix of Kyokushin Karate and Boxing. Look up information about guys like Thom Harinck, Johan Vos and Jan Plas, and their respective gyms Chakuriki, Vos Gym and Mejiro gym. Even Lucien Carbin for example started in Kyokushin under John Bluming and Jan Plas.

Also if you're going to name some of the fighters like Nieky Holzken and Robin Van Roosmalen, how about Rico Verhoeven the current Heavyweight champion who started in Kyokushin Karate as a kid under his dad who's a Kyokushin black belt and who still trains him today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rico_Verhoeven
And that's without mentioning other guys like Semmy Schilt who trained in Kyokushin and its substyles like Ashihara for nearly 20 years.

There are still Kyokushin techniques and training methods in quite a few of the Dutch Kickboxing gyms' training, you might not see it because you never trained in Kyokushin Karate. Even though of course because now those gyms focus so much on ring fighting, a big part of the training for their professional fighters is more focused on kickboxing / muay thai.

They still even say "osu" in most Dutch Kickboxing gyms by the way. But at the end of the day it heavily depends on the gym and the instructors.

Last edited:
Those who created the first few Dutch Kickboxing gyms and that "style" of "Dutch Kickboxing" were all Kyokushin guys who combined Kyokushin with boxing, and then later took a lot from Muay Thai when they discovered how good the Thai fighters were. The origin of the Dutch style is a mix of Kyokushin Karate and Boxing. Look up information about guys like Thom Harinck, Johan Vos and Jan Plas, and their respective gyms Chakuriki, Vos Gym and Mejiro gym. Even Lucien Carbin for example started in Kyokushin under John Bluming and Jan Plas.

Also if you're going to name some of the fighters like Nieky Holzken and Robin Van Roosmalen, how about Rico Verhoeven the current Heavyweight champion who started in Kyokushin Karate as a kid under his dad who's a Kyokushin black belt and who still trains him today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rico_Verhoeven
And that's without mentioning other guys like Semmy Schilt who trained in Kyokushin and its substyles like Ashihara for nearly 20 years.

There are still Kyokushin techniques and training methods in quite a few of the Dutch Kickboxing gyms' training, you might not see it because you never trained in Kyokushin Karate. Even though of course because now those gyms focus so much on ring fighting, a big part of the training for their professional fighters is more focused on kickboxing / muay thai.

They still even say "osu" in most Dutch Kickboxing gyms by the way. But at the end of the day it heavily depends on the gym and the instructors.

I definetely agree that karate played a big role in the history of dutch kickboxing. no doubt. i was rather talking about the techniques that the modern dutch kickboxers use. this is why i brought up that pretty much alot of dutch kickboxers from today come from a muay thai backround. i dont see nieky holzken for example using any karate whatsoever. please correct me if iam wrong.
i can definetely see that semmy schilt (and also Davit Kiria) have incorparated alot of karate into their game because they do use karate techniques which make them very exciting to watch.

I definetely agree that karate played a big role in the history of dutch kickboxing. no doubt. i was rather talking about the techniques that the modern dutch kickboxers use. this is why i brought up that pretty much alot of dutch kickboxers from today come from a muay thai backround. i dont see nieky holzken for example using any karate whatsoever. please correct me if iam wrong.
i can definetely see that semmy schilt (and also Davit Kiria) have incorparated alot of karate into their game because they do use karate techniques which make them very exciting to watch.
well I remember @Azam posting a kyokushin vid of the 1-2 low kick combination. He said thats where the dutch got it. Also holzken does throw the spinning back kick from time to time. I dont think most dutch guys look like thais because they barely use the teep.

well I remember @Azam posting a kyokushin vid of the 1-2 low kick combination. He said thats where the dutch got it. Also holzken does throw the spinning back kick from time to time. I dont think most dutch guys look like thais because they barely use the teep.

well true but they dont have to. but then again i see thais throwing some spinning shit too once in a while. muay thai does have spinning kicks they just get used less often

well true but they dont have to. but then again i see thais throwing some spinning shit too once in a while. muay thai does have spinning kicks they just get used less often
well buakaw uses it well. The teep is a staple of muay thai. If you arent using it like a jab, its not really muay thai. I doubt dutch kickboxers get their spinning shit from anything but karate.

well buakaw uses it well. The teep is a staple of muay thai. If you arent using it like a jab, its not really muay thai. I doubt dutch kickboxers get their spinning shit from anything but karate.

just because the focus of the attacks are different it doesnt mean its a whole different art, they are still very similar in terms of their arsenal.
and regarding spinning kicks and muay thai take a look at that.

you should check out that guys channel btw. he does some great brakedowns

just because the focus of the attacks are different it doesnt mean its a whole different art, they are still very similar in terms of their arsenal.
and regarding spinning kicks and muay thai take a look at that.

you should check out that guys channel btw. he does some great brakedowns

The same could be said about kyokushin or muay thai tho. or dutch kickboxing and kyokushin. The subtleties and way they attack does matter. The basic kicks and knees are very similar. nice bro I'll check it out.

Again it depends on the gym and the instructor, a lot of Kyokushin techniques and training methods can be found in some Dutch Kickboxing gyms, mixed together with the western boxing and thai boxing techniques.

A lot of the punch-kick combos from Dutch fighters look more like Kyokushin than Muay Thai, especially when it's combos involving several punches and low kicks to the inside and outside of the leg. For example straight left + right hook + inside leg kick + outside leg kick is a typical Kyokushin combo. Nieky Holzken indeed has a background in Dutch Muay Thai, but he also uses a lot of western boxing combos and Kyokushin type of combos. Also look at how he throws some of his jumping knees from the spot without using his hands to grab, that's also something you see a lot in Kyokushin (maybe also in Muay Thai though, but I'd tend to think they usually clinch and push their knee through instead of jumping in the air from the spot). Same with his spinning kicks to the body and head, it looks a lot more like Kyokushin than Muay Thai.

Look at the fight at 3.38 for example, lots of hand + inside and outside low kick combos, it looks a lot like Kyokushin combos, also quite a few spinning kicks to the body. And then look at the hook kick to the back of the leg at 4.10. That's a trademark Kyokushin technique :)
You can also see a lot of Muay Thai techniques from him: in his stance already, then the way he throws his teep, how he quickly grabs the head + knee (obviously as proper clinching isn't really allowed in KB), also some kicks he throws from his front leg by switching legs first.

But to me this is why fighters like Holzen are so interesting to watch, it's a great blend of the best of all worlds: Kyokushin + Western Boxing + Muay Thai.

Last edited:
Again it depends on the gym and the instructor, a lot of Kyokushin techniques and training methods can be found in some Dutch Kickboxing gyms, mixed together with the western boxing and thai boxing techniques.

A lot of the punch-kick combos from Dutch fighters look more like Kyokushin than Muay Thai, especially when it's combos involving several punches and low kicks to the inside and outside of the leg. For example straight left + right hook + inside leg kick + outside leg kick is a typical Kyokushin combo. Nieky Holzken indeed has a background in Dutch Muay Thai, but he also uses a lot of western boxing combos and Kyokushin type of combos. Also look at how he throws some of his jumping knees from the spot without using his hands to grab, that's also something you see a lot in Kyokushin (maybe also in Muay Thai though, but I'd tend to think they usually clinch and push their knee through instead of jumping in the air from the spot). Same with his spinning kicks to the body and head, it looks a lot more like Kyokushin than Muay Thai.

Look at the fight at 3.38 for example, lots of hand + inside and outside low kick combos, it looks a lot like Kyokushin combos, also quite a few spinning kicks to the body. And then look at the hook kick to the back of the leg at 4.10. That's a trademark Kyokushin technique :)
You can also see a lot of Muay Thai techniques from him: like the way he throws his teep, how he quickly grabs the head + knee (obviously as proper clinching isn't really allowed in KB), also some kicks he throws from his front leg by switching legs first.

But to me this is why fighters like Holzen are so interesting to watch, it's a great blend of the best of all worlds: Kyokushin + Western Boxing + Muay Thai.

Nice video :) iam not sure if those combos are only in kyukushin though. in my muay thai gym (germany) we use very similar combos and also spin kicks. my coaches also use more of a boxing stance than a traditional stance. according to me instructor he learned everything in thailand where he spent most of his training. oh yeah and the flying knee without grabing the head is something i see relatively often tbh. he also told me that low kick combos like these are not uncommon at all in thailand. but if you wanna see more of kyukushin karate in kickboxing you should watch davit kiria and semmy shilt. these guys are so much more interesting to watch too because they use alot more karate techniques :)
I agree that he is not a traditional muay thai practitioner but his style of fighting reminds me alot of the non dutch european muay thai kickboxers like joe schilling or joseph valtelini
oh and i wanted to share something interesting about the topic :
https://www.quora.com/How-similar-is-Muay-Thai-to-Dutch-kickboxing

please check out the comment from "chris price" :)

Last edited:

You can also see a lot of Muay Thai techniques from him: like the way he throws his teep, how he quickly grabs the head + knee (obviously as proper clinching isn't really allowed in KB), also some kicks he throws from his front leg by switching legs first.

these non thai muay thai practitioners tend to have a different style than the traditional guys to fit the ruleset of some kickboxing organisations. look at this fight for example. both are pure muay thai practitioners (as far as i know) yet they do not have the traditional thai style. lets call it a western style or something i dont know XD

It's all blended my friend, techniques have been taken and shared left and right. 'Take the best of everything' should always be the approach.

oh and i wanted to share something interesting about the topic :
https://www.quora.com/How-similar-is-Muay-Thai-to-Dutch-kickboxing

please check out the comment from "chris price" :)

Nice read, cheers. Although "Chris Price" mentions Jan Plas learning from Toshio Fujiwara at Mejiro Gym, whose coach was Kenji Kurosaki, who was the one fighter that lost out of the 3 fighters Mas Oyama sent to fight some Thais in 1964 in Thailand (he was supposed to only coach but replaced their 3rd fighter who had to go back to Japan as the fights got rescheduled several times and his visa ran out). Kenji Kurosaki then heavily studied Muay Thai and kind of invented Japanese Kickboxing, a mix between Kyokushin and Muay Thai. It goes in circles :D

Last edited:
^^^

It's Kenji Kurosaki's legacy.

He often gets forgotten or not remembered enough for his contributions.

From what I know - the Meijiro style of kickboxing was very influenced by traditional Karate.

Kenji Kurosaki I don't think considered himself just Kyokushin @Tayski - he was primarily a Goju-ryu karateka who happened to be there & help Oyama set up Kyokushin. He wasn't a student of Oyama but a sempai. From what I've seen the Meijiro style of kickboxing was a mix of traditional karate, muay thai, Kyokushin & western boxing.

I think the Dutch style & Meijiro style is actually pretty different - I use to think they were very similar when I posted in this thread years ago but over time realised that was wrong & they are slightly different. There are some similarities for sure & a lot of shared stuff but I think the Dutch added individually using their experience of MT & their Kyokushin backgrounds as well. I think they took a lot from Kurosaki & added from their own experiences as well.

Funny that about Jan Plas & Fujiwara - there's actually a photo of the exchange/learning but Kurosaki was also present.

FujiwaravsJanPlas.jpg

Something that's often forgotten about is Toshio Fujiwara was a shotokan karateka before joining Kurosaki and you can clearly see it in his kickboxing - it definitely gave him an edge when it came to setting up kicks/punches.

Also something that's not remembered Kurosaki actually taught a lot of the OG's of Kyokushin like Soeno, Nakamura, Oyama bros etc.

Last edited:
Kenji Kurosaki I don't think considered himself just Kyokushin @Tayski - he was primarily a Goju-ryu karateka who happened to be there & help Oyama set up Kyokushin. He wasn't a student of Oyama but a sempai. From what I've seen the Meijiro style of kickboxing was a mix of traditional karate, muay thai, Kyokushin & western boxing.

I know he was originally a Goju Ryu Karateka training under Gogen Yamaguchi with Mas Oyama. However from the research I did, all the sources I found said he only trained in Goju Ruy for about 2-3 years (from about 1951 to 1953) before helping Mas Oyama develop and create Kyokushin in 1953-1954, also helping create the Kyokushinkai Honbu in Tokyo in 1954.

He was also the main PR for Kyokushin and one of the key people to spread Kyokushin worldwide. He helped plant the Kyokushin seed in Hawaii in 1965, and then was also key in the spread of Kyokushin in Europe notably in the Netherlands along with Jon Bluming in 1965. Then he went back to Japan in 1966, created the Mejiro gym of Kickboxing in 1969, and separated from mas Oyama's IKO organisation of Kyokushin in 1976. Since 1992 he's been an honorary 10th dan in the International BudoKai Kyokushin organisation of Jon Bluming.

From reading some of his quotes and recalls of those times with Oyama, he considered himself a training partner, student and right hand of Mas Oyama.

But maybe you have some different sources than me?

It's all blended my friend, techniques have been taken and shared left and right. 'Take the best of everything' should always be the approach.

Nice read, cheers. Although "Chris Price" mentions Jan Plas learning from Toshio Fujiwara at Mejiro Gym, whose coach was Kenji Kurosaki, who was the one fighter that lost out of the 3 fighters Mas Oyama sent to fight some Thais in 1964 in Thailand (he was supposed to only coach but replaced their 3rd fighter who had to go back to Japan as the fights got rescheduled several times and his visa ran out). Kenji Kurosaki then heavily studied Muay Thai and kind of invented Japanese Kickboxing, a mix between Kyokushin and Muay Thai. It goes in circles :D

yeah i heard about that :)
but the birth of japanese kickboxing has quite a few controversies
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/t...versies-with-muay-thai.2597243/#post-88602121
they do make some good points there

but i still dont get how the styles of non thai muay thai fighters can be so close to the dutch style and they not having any karate experience. joseph valtelini is a good example of someone who is dutch style and using a muay thai arsenal. i also spoke to a few old dutch Kickboxers that have been doing it for years and could see how dutch kickboxing changed to become alot more boxing oriented and very close to muay thai overall.

yeah i heard about that :)
but the birth of japanese kickboxing has quite a few controversies
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/t...versies-with-muay-thai.2597243/#post-88602121
they do make some good points there

but i still dont get how the styles of non thai muay thai fighters can be so close to the dutch style and they not having any karate experience. joseph valtelini is a good example of someone who is dutch style and using a muay thai arsenal. i also spoke to a few old dutch Kickboxers that have been doing it for years and could see how dutch kickboxing changed to become alot more boxing oriented and very close to muay thai overall.
I dont think dutch kickboxing is very close to boxing. The stanc is totally different and their use of the jab is not the same. Also the kickboxers dont have the boxers defense which is one of the most important parts of boxing.

I dont think dutch kickboxing is very close to boxing. The stanc is totally different and their use of the jab is not the same. Also the kickboxers dont have the boxers defense which is one of the most important parts of boxing.
Can you please explain the differences of the stance? plus they do "shell up" alot

Can you please explain the differences of the stance? plus they do "shell up" alot
sure boxers usually stand more bladed, while kickboxers stand square with their chest and hips facing their opponent so they can do all the muay thai stuff, like launching a round kick,checking. I've heard it said kickboxers use their shoulders more for their punches while boxers use their feet more
roy-jones-james-toney-example-001.gif

Kickboxing, be it Americal or Dutch is NOT martial arts styles, it's competition formats. That's why people fight differently.

Kickboxing, be it Americal or Dutch is NOT martial arts styles, it's competition formats. That's why people fight differently.

I was about to shit on you just for being spacetime, but the troll isn't technically wrong this time around. At least in theory, dutch rules isn't quite a competition format, but I get what he's saying. Although using that same postmodern logic you can also say that each gym of muay thai trains its own martial art for the ruleset of muay thai... and that each person has their own unique martial art to them... which again wouldn't technically be untrue but it is pedantic

Back