Kyokushin and Taekwondo

You can, but not with a classic MT roundhouse... You'll need to use a snap kick. For me, since that's the way I do high kicks, it's ok (Snap + foot). But if you're used to kick through your target even when you go high, it may mess with your technique...

Yeah, I am looking to learn both individually rather than combining.

He goes into great detail. edit this is an instructional film not a kung fu film like it shows in the preview. hope you get something out of it.

@shincheckin

In my opinion, double end bag is a great tool for training snap roundhouses...
Just play with it a bit, and you'll see if its good for you.

@Jimmy Jazz

I think i understand what you mean.

@shincheckin

In my opinion, double end bag is a great tool for training snap roundhouses...
Just play with it a bit, and you'll see if its good for you.

@Jimmy Jazz

I think i understand what you mean.
yeah sorry I couldnt explain it better ,pal. You're obviously a much more serious practitioner than me as I did only did karate and tsd as a child into my mid teens. btw I have a question for you, do you think crescent kicks to the body can be effective?

No problem man, i also find it hard to explain stuff on the net... Like for your next question, not sure i will be able to explain my self properly.

I only use 2 variation of the inside to outside crescent kick (and never used the outside to inside) . One for points in TKD, and one for damage in MT.

The one for TKD, it's done when we have opposite stance, with my front leg, and i kick with the foot. And it's a (kinda) jumping/step in strike, followed by 1-2 punches to the head, then moving out. You can also feint a jab while stepping in, but the kick must be almost in the same motion, not as a second strike... If we talk tempo, it would be 1-1/2 and not 1-2...

The other for MT, is when we have same stance, i throw it with my rear leg, and landing with the ball of the foot. I target the liver, or the side/under the jaws... I try to make it look like a teep, but then coming around avoiding the classical block. But it's risky, and i do it only if am (kinda) sure it will land... (so mostly in sparring for fun, rarely in a match)

I don't use the classical high one they teach in TKD, with a big arc. Mine, is more like a front kick, coming from the side but still lower. You got to have a good snap, and a good hip rotation from inside to outside...

Hope we talking about the same crescent kick...

PS: I'm only able to use my right leg for it, either back or front doesn't matter... But no way with my left...

Love seeing all this TKD stuff on MMA forums!

Use a double ended speed bag for accuracy and timing and a heavy bag for power and recoil balance control for full contact comp/sparring.

Just got green light for one legged squats, stationary lunges and dynamic side lunges yesterday and working my flexibility like a bastard!

Enjoy the training, life sucks without it!

Back