225 for five sets of 20

Squat
460 for two sets of five

The worst session of the week. Yuck.

Paused Bench
330x5
315x6x2

Also kind of yuck.

I just started watching Kagemusha, the 3 hour Criterion DVD version. Wondered what your opinions on it are, considering it kind of reignited Kurosawa's career?

Will we see you in the Animal cage one day, Kyle?

I just started watching Kagemusha, the 3 hour Criterion DVD version. Wondered what your opinions on it are, considering it kind of reignited Kurosawa's career?

I like Kagemusha. Great set pieces, darker tone, really striking aesthetic tone, and I do like his longer period epics, though this is one of the weakest of that bunch. I have seen that Criterion version and always felt like the things I enjoyed in Ran were all present here (I saw Kagemusha long after I saw Ran), though it did not have quite the same effect on me.

Will we see you in the Animal cage one day, Kyle?

I think it's very unlikely. For one, I'm not a big-name powerlifter, which doesn't help. I don't have a great single lift or a fancy trick. I don't really have any Animal connections. And I don't know if I would be willing to peak and supplement for what is an exhibition event. I figure I only have so many competitions in me, so maybe it would be best to focus on those. If the opportunity ever arose, I would certainly think long and hard about it.

Okay, missed a few days so it's time to play catchup!

Paused Squats
440 for three sets of five

I'm not sure if this was a good or a bad session, but it was definitely a taxing one. With how beat up my back and quad are, I found myself coasting through a lot of reps, since acceleration past the hole was an ouchie. Just gotta keep on surviving until I can taper.

I like Kagemusha. Great set pieces, darker tone, really striking aesthetic tone, and I do like his longer period epics, though this is one of the weakest of that bunch. I have seen that Criterion version and always felt like the things I enjoyed in Ran were all present here (I saw Kagemusha long after I saw Ran), though it did not have quite the same effect on me.

I'm not an aficionado of his by any means but it struck me with this was the similarities it had to some of the epic westerns, which makes total sense considering the blatant theft of tropes from east to west that occurred in the 20th century. I enjoyed it.

Back