Kurds call on US to set up no-fly zone after Turkish attacks

VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Kurds call on US to set up no-fly zone after Turkish attacks
Tensions between Turkey and the United States are poised to escalate after the Turkish air force carried out a series of pre-dawn strikes against Kurdish militants in Iraq’s Sinjar region and northeastern Syria, killing foes and friends alike, with potentially disruptive effects on the war against the Islamic State.

Summary⎙ Print Expect US-Turkey tensions to rise after the Turkish air force attacked Kurdish militants in Iraq’s Sinjar region and northeastern Syria just as the US-led coalition presses its offensive against IS in Raqqa.
Author Amberin Zaman Posted April 25, 2017
Five peshmerga fighters attached to the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), Turkey’s closest regional ally, perished in the airstrikes on Mount Sinjar. At least 20 fighters from the Syrian Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG), the US-led coalition’s top ally in the fight against the jihadis in Syria, were killed when Turkish jets hit their headquarters in Mount Qarachok near the town of al-Malikiyah, known as Derik in Kurdish. A building housing a local radio station was also destroyed in the attack.

The strikes come at an especially critical moment, as the US-led coalition presses its offensive against IS in Raqqa.

Officials from the US-led coalition familiar with the details of the strikes said Turkish officials had informed the United States of its plans before they were executed. The officials told Al-Monitor on strict condition that they not be identified that Turkey had sought to coordinate the strikes with the Qatar-based Combined Air Operations Center (CAOC), which controls and commands the air campaigns in Syria and Iraq, among others, with US allies. According to one of the officials, “CAOC turned them down.” Turkey went ahead with the strikes anyway.

A Central Command spokesman responding to Al-Monitor’s queries via email said, “The Coalition is aware of the Turkish airstrikes in northern Iraq and Syria. As we've said in the past, all of Iraq’s neighbors need to respect Iraqi sovereignty and territorial integrity. We encourage all forces to remain focused on the greatest threat to regional and worldwide peace and security and concentrate their efforts on [IS] and not toward objectives that may cause the Coalition to divert energy and resources away from the defeat of [IS] in Iraq and Syria.”

A Syrian Kurdish official told Al-Monitor on condition of anonymity an unspecified number of US special forces had been “uncomfortably close” to Qarachok when the Turkish jets struck.

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...-strike-kurds-sinjar-syria.html#ixzz4fObhJPnQ

______________________________________________________________________________________

I'm torn on this. I'm about as non-internationalist as they come, but I am sympathetic to the Kurds, and dislike the Turkish government.

In the world of hard power, we would most likely never provide this no fly zone, as it would likely push Turkey into Russia or China's arms.

From a moral stand point, if their was ever a group that was being oppressed, and is fighting for liberty, it is the Kurds.

What do you guys think, should we provide a no-fly zone to protect Kurdish peoples, likely being attacked with US made weapons?

We should recognize a country of Kurdistan at the UN immediately and tell Turkey to stuff it up their ass.

We will abandon the Kurds a third time. Fuck Turkey...

Why don't we support the Kurds more? They seem like the best group of people in the Middle East

Not that I'm advocating for a no fly zone

We should recognize a country of Kurdistan at the UN immediately and tell Turkey to stuff it up their ass.

Agreed. But how big should Kurdistan be? What borders?

Curious to hear you say this but then demand that all of Israel be split 50/50 between Palestinians and Israelis.

Booting Turkey out of NATO is what we should do. Erdogay and his Islamist followers do not share the same value as the West, and they are as guilty as Saudi Arabia when it comes to supporting jihadists.

Agreed. But how big should Kurdistan be? What borders?

Curious to hear you say this but then demand that all of Israel be split 50/50 between Palestinians and Israelis.
Call me when the Kurds are ethnically cleansing an existing population and stealing their land as opposed to being oppressed by Turkey, Syria, and Iraq.

Erdogan is a disastrous fucking retard who might get millions of people killed. I'd be in favor of assassinating him asap.

Call me when the Kurds are ethnically cleansing an existing population and stealing their land as opposed to being oppressed by Turkey, Syria, and Iraq.

Kurds aren't an innocent group collectively speaking. @Kafir-kun can fill you in more or I could.

There is a notion amongst some in the western left that the Kurds are somehow 'progressive' force in the middle east and are always oppressed. This isn't so cut and dry and Kurds are mostly Sunnis so they are on a higher level (status) in the eyes of all Sunni Muslims and even Shia Muslims then Jews are.

You are viewing this through the wrong lenses. Consider that most of Israel's neighbors don't recognize her existence and have a common ethnic and linguistic and religious connection in which their religion condemns the Jews to inferior status.

Compare that to the Kurds who are almost all Muslims who want separatist state. And do you really think an independent Kurdistan would be tolerant towards non Kurds?

Kurds aren't an innocent group collectively speaking. @Kafir-kun can fill you in more or I could.

There is a notion amongst some in the western left that the Kurds are somehow 'progressive' force in the middle east and are always oppressed. This isn't so cut and dry and Kurds are mostly Sunnis so they are on a higher level (status) in the eyes of all Sunni Muslims and even Shia Muslims then Jews are.

You are viewing this through the wrong lenses. Consider that most of Israel's neighbors don't recognize her existence and have a common ethnic and linguistic and religious connection in which their religion condemns the Jews to inferior status.

Compare that to the Kurds who are almost all Muslims who want separatist state. And do you really think an independent Kurdistan would be tolerant towards non Kurds?
They seem to be pretty progressive compared to other forces in the area, and my problem is with how they've been treated by the nations they inhabit. I have no idea how an independent Kurdistan would function. But, if we carved out a nation from parts of Turkey, Iraq, and Syria we would probably have a very strong ally in the region that would allow us to dismiss SA and others. This, coupled with full normalization of relations with Iran could drastically change the landscape of the ME in a good way.

They seem to be pretty progressive compared to other forces in the area, and my problem is with how they've been treated by the nations they inhabit. I have no idea how an independent Kurdistan would function. But, if we carved out a nation from parts of Turkey, Iraq, and Syria we would probably have a very strong ally in the region that would allow us to dismiss SA and others. This, coupled with full normalization of relations with Iran could drastically change the landscape of the ME in a good way.

I think they would settle for a Kurdish state just within Iraq. If they got this, the Kurd populations within Turkey and Syria would most likely migrate to the new Kurdish state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back