Krzysztof Glowacki and Oleksandr Usyk signed for Cruiserweight tournament

Shael

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0671058819463256342-4

QONVIyz.gif

That's 6 big names for the tournament so far which is way more than I expected. Hopefully this works out.

That's an impressive lineup.

Wow, this tournament is unbelievable.

That's 6 big names for the tournament so far which is way more than I expected. Hopefully this works out.

Who's the 6th? Gassiev, Usyk, Glowaki, Briedis and Wlodarczyk ah, just saw it's Dorticos. Is it a 6 man tournament or 8 man? Bellew and or Kurdyashov would be interesting or fun inclusions.

Amazing tournament. Boxing is making it happen this year.

Damn.
I'm 190 right now.
I might join

Wow, this tournament is unbelievable.

Who's the 6th? Gassiev, Usyk, Glowaki, Briedis and Wlodarczyk ah, just saw it's Dorticos. Is it a 6 man tournament or 8 man? Bellew and or Kurdyashov would be interesting or fun inclusions.

Amazing tournament. Boxing is making it happen this year.
Yeah if Kurdyashov and Bellow would be great additions.

Anyone familiar enough with these guys to say who the favourite is? A few of them are undefeated.

Yeah if Kurdyashov and Bellow would be great additions.

Anyone familiar enough with these guys to say who the favourite is? A few of them are undefeated.

Usyk is the favorite in my opinion, he's ranked number 1 in the division and he's a Olympic gold medalist and world games gold medalist. Dudes one of boxings best right now. If Ward fights Usyk, Ward loses in my opinion.

Gassiev and Briedis are the next best I think, Gassiev is surprisingly super young at only 23/24 and impressed me a bit, he showed he wasn't just a heavy puncher he had some boxing chops in his win vs Lebedev albeit it a bit ugly and Lebedev a bit passed it.

Briedis is a knockout artist too, very good 22-0 18 KOs but a very awkward boxer out of Latvia. Briedis I think is 32 or so, so in his physical prime as a Cruiserweight going into this tournament.

The rest, Glowaki is good and could beat a lot of these guys but he's pretty clearly a step below Usyk.

Wlodarczyk is a step below these guys but solid.

Dorticos is 21-0 with 20 KOs, 31 years old and a Cuban so we get some Western spice. I haven't seen much of him, he was a good amateur but never stood out because of the steep level of amateur talent Cuba has.

Going to be a bloody tournament. A lot of hitters in the mix here.

Last edited:
I don't care much about the tournament format but we're see some pretty good fights indeed.

Usyk is the favorite in my opinion, he's ranked number 1 in the division and he's a Olympic gold medalist and world games gold medalist. Dudes one of boxings best right now. If Ward fights Usyk, Ward loses in my opinion.

Gassiev and Briedis are the next best I think, Gassiev is surprisingly super young at only 23/24 and impressed me a bit, he showed he wasn't just a heavy puncher he had some boxing chops in his win vs Lebedev albeit it a bit ugly and Lebedev a bit passed it.

Briedis is a knockout artist too, very good 22-0 18 KOs but a very awkward boxer out of Latvia. Briedis I think is 32 or so, so in his physical prime as a Cruiserweight going into this tournament.

The rest, Glowaki is good and could beat a lot of these guys but he's pretty clearly a step below Usyk.

Wlodarczyk is a step below these guys but solid.

Dorticos is 21-0 with 20 KOs, 31 years old and a Cuban so we get some Western spice. I haven't seen much of him, he was a good amateur but never stood out because of the steep level of amateur talent Cuba has.

Going to be a bloody tournament. A lot of hitters in the mix here.
When people spoke off Ward-Joshua. The only real way i could see Ward going to HW was by going thru the cruiserweight division first to test the waters.
Ward is technically better than Usyk. Usyk is good. But isn't speedy.
The thing that is that Usyk is 6'3 78in reach that fights at 200lbs, but walks around at about 220lbs and hits like a monster.
Ward is 6'0 71in reach. Fights at 175lbs and walks at 200lbs.

Forget Kovalev, this is power at another level.

And then we go up to Anthony fucking Joshua.

I can't see it.

Usyk, would probably drop Ward.

When people spoke off Ward-Joshua. The only real way i could see Ward going to HW was by going thru the cruiserweight division first to test the waters.
The thing that is that Usyk is 6'3 78in reach that fights at 200lbs, but walks around at about 220lbs and hits like a monster.

I can't see it.

The Super Middleweight that goes up to Light Heavyweight should be technically better than Usyk who's fought at Heavyweight and is a big Cruiserweight. Laws of physics and human biology and all of that.

I actually think Usyk could beat Joshua if he moved up, not right now though. Usyk needs the experience and this tournament is going to give it to him. I think Usyk is an incredibly hard matchup for Ward too, Usyk has really good combinations and a significant reach advantage along with frustrating footwork and a lot more power than these LHWs. Technically while not up to chuff with Ward, they're both Olympic gold medalist and have great technique it's just Ward's a lot further along in his pro career too. I think on the inside where Ward is best, Usyk is just too much bigger and more athletic than Ward...I can't imagine Ward clinching up and having repeated success there either.

If Ward went up to Cruiserweight beat a guy like Bellew, then fought Usyk to get the belts and somehow beat Usyk, then went up to Heavyweight and beat Joshua? I'd probably consider him the best boxer ever or at least right up there with the Robinson's and Armstrong's.

I can't see it.

Usyk isn't fast? Have you watched him fight? He's fast for a CW! He is fast on his feet and fast with his hands. I'm surprised that you say he hits like a monster because one thing I don't rate is his power at CW. He hits with decent power so that guys at least notice his punches but he's not a KO artist. That said yes he would have more than enough power to put a serious beating on Ward just because of the size difference between the two. His speed would match up well with Ward which is why imho he'd beat Ward fairly handily.

Great sign that all the key belt holders and challengers are participating. Could you imagine if Ward entered this tournament and cleaned it out like he did the Super 6? That's would cement him as an all time great, past Floyd.

Even though it probably won't go off without a hitch, we're still going to get some good fights together like the Super 6 did. I'm excited.

Tourneys don't work in boxing. Look at the super 6. Like half of the original participants dropped out.

Yeah, boxings just too finicky to pull of a tourney, too many single points of failure.

Very excited for this. I really like uysk alot. Seems like he can do it all.

Tourneys don't work in boxing. Look at the super 6. Like half of the original participants dropped out.

I guess if you have a solid memory.
I remember it going pretty smoothly except maybe Kessler getting a 2nd shot?

Back