Kru and Ajarn titles

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I see the title Kru and Ajarn getting thrown around carelessly in the US quite a bit, Khru translates to teach in thai so I suppose Khru may not be as bad as ajarn but I am under the impression that these are titles that have to be earned not given. Am I right or wrong? I came across a guy who was "promoted" to "ajarn" he never fought, and technique was poor. I would relate this to someone calling themself a blackbelt when they never earned one. whats your guys thoughts?

I hear in Thailand those honorary titles among trainers tend to be more lax. Ive trained at a few gyms here in the US one of them being part of the "Thai Boxing Association" and they venerate this guy called Ajarn Chai as if he was the pope. It was scary to say the least, felt very cult-like.

Perhaps, it's similar to "small-man syndrome" they got to over compensate for something they lack. But, to be honest most of the Americans they buy into it... so i guess it works.

Here they take it a bit much. Kru just means teacher but they're treating it like you're an officer in the army.

Seen people get all BJJ about it too. Oh that guy's not a 'legit kru' cause he didn't get certified under head honcho like all of us did.

Personally I think the coaches who put their personal Facebook name with kru in it are tools. For the gym business and site, its fine, but your personal account? C'mon mang

Last edited:
Its probably like sifu in china. More used on taxi drivers and others.

I hear in Thailand those honorary titles among trainers tend to be more lax. Ive trained at a few gyms here in the US one of them being part of the "Thai Boxing Association" and they venerate this guy called Ajarn Chai as if he was the pope. It was scary to say the least, felt very cult-like.

Perhaps, it's similar to "small-man syndrome" they got to over compensate for something they lack. But, to be honest most of the Americans they buy into it... so i guess it works.

in thailand the majority of the thais that are now running gyms and coaching have 100+ fights, and have "walked the walk" so calling them Kru or Ajarn makes sense, but are those titles, or just the thai language for teacher, you get what i mean? So if its just thai language for teacher, then using the word Kru is no big deal. But if its a title that must be earned, that has not been earned, then it is fake, much like a fake black belt for comparison. So I am really not sure what to make of it. Do these titles need to be earned? Or is it americans making a big deal out of nothing and misinterpreting the language?

Most americans buy into it because generally speaking most americans are idiots.

I live by John Wayne Parr's words. Save the term Kru for Thais, you're not Thai there's no need to be called Kru - and he is more qualified than nearly any muay thai coach you'll find in the western world.

I live by John Wayne Parr's words. Save the term Kru for Thais, you're not Thai there's no need to be called Kru - and he is more qualified than nearly any muay thai coach you'll find in the western world.

good point

I asked once for a Thai and he said that Kru and coach.
And that Ajarn does not exist Ajarn and the same as man.

More in amateur Muay Thai they make use of this degree

One time he posted a video of him doing 50 kicks on pads in 1 minute or something, and my friend tagged me in it.

I responded with that clip of Sam-A doing 50 kicks in 20 seconds I think it was.

Straight after I though oh shit that might come across as a dick move, but then JWP liked my post and I was like shiiit, he ain't so bad.

One time he posted a video of him doing 50 kicks on pads in 1 minute or something, and my friend tagged me in it.

I responded with that clip of Sam-A doing 50 kicks in 20 seconds I think it was.

Straight after I though oh shit that might come across as a dick move, but then JWP liked my post and I was like shiiit, he ain't so bad.

I've had a couple chats with him on his facebook page, he is a pretty nice dude.

Must admit, I don't even like my students calling me 'sir' - just show respect by paying attention and doing the work, none of those titles for me.

I've had a couple chats with him on his facebook page, he is a pretty nice dude.

Must admit, I don't even like my students calling me 'sir' - just show respect by paying attention and doing the work, none of those titles for me.
He's surprisingly quiet, and a cool cat; His daughter had a fight down here 2 weeks ago so he was here to corner her. He was at a bunch of gyms for the time.

He's surprisingly quiet, and a cool cat; His daughter had a fight down here 2 weeks ago so he was here to corner her. He was at a bunch of gyms for the time.

I was reading his posts on that. Does seem like a real cool guy.

in canadia right? so I heard his daughter got ko by a knee to the face. The girl that did it is a local girl fighter here, fighting out of double dose gym.

I got to meet and train with JWP a very long time ago, when he was in the US training for a MMA fight. He was a cool guy.

in canadia right? so I heard his daughter got ko by a knee to the face. The girl that did it is a local girl fighter here, fighting out of double dose gym.

I got to meet and train with JWP a very long time ago, when he was in the US training for a MMA fight. He was a cool guy.
Yeah, the fight was in Toronto.

I didn't stay for her fight so I didn't know how, my coach who's a friend of his said she lost, so that's all I know from it.

He trained for a MMA fight? Or was it caged MT with 4oz gloves?

Yeah, the fight was in Toronto.

I didn't stay for her fight so I didn't know how, my coach who's a friend of his said she lost, so that's all I know from it.

He trained for a MMA fight? Or was it caged MT with 4oz gloves?

I heard through the grapevine.

I dont know the girl at all, she could just be naturally gifted, gotten lucky, etc. This will probably bring some fame to that gym, but I would not accredit her winning to superior training from that gym.

Not that surprised it was a kid from double dose haha. Brian Dobler really seems to be one of the best coaches in CA and probably the US in general. I fought a kid that was undefeated at like 9-0 out of there. Really wasn't expecting someone that skilled down here haha

Back