KRAUTROCK

edit: didn't even notice this one had already been posted lol

Last edited:
Moving rather more into pop but I love this Alto album from the ex Kraan Sax player...

At the other extreme...

Last edited:
wow didnt know sherbros had such sophisticated taste in music. I found out about krautrock my senior year in hs 2006. tiny little sites on the net. I'd have listened to alot more if we had the youtube shit we got going on now. its golden.

tumblr_mw2m2aMH4Q1suocejo1_500.gif

some mellotron my man

wow didnt know sherbros had such sophisticated taste in music. I found out about krautrock my senior year in hs 2006. tiny little sites on the net. I'd have listened to alot more if we had the youtube shit we got going on now. its golden.

Yeah youtube is great, so easy to find great stuff just by going down the rabbit hole of suggestions.

Yeah youtube is great, so easy to find great stuff just by going down the rabbit hole of suggestions.
yeah its weird all my music taste in college was from the old dudes I made friends with in college sharing their record collection. Youtube is great though and there are some cool sites and blogs to find rare music. Good groups on facebook too- for example there is a german and swiss krautrock group on fb.

With a name like Jimmy Jazz you clearly have good tastes yourself mo chara.

yeah its weird all my music taste in college was from the old dudes I made friends with in college sharing their record collection. Youtube is great though and there are some cool sites and blogs to find rare music. Good groups on facebook too- for example there is a german and swiss krautrock group on fb.

That sounds cool, I wish there was more of that sort of thing around as well though...it is easier to find stuff now but it sometimes feels like there is a lack of tangible connection in terms of discovering new stuff. More convenient to click a youtube suggestion and hear something immediately, but not as cool as someone lending you a record to hear for the first time and waiting for the needle to drop...I collect records myself and so find things when crate-digging just because they look interesting, but usually I will wait until I get home and listen to it then rather than just risking it. Don't get me wrong though, the internet is one clearly one of the best things to ever happen to music...and I'm only 21 so too young to remember any other kind of time (when I was really into good music at least).

That sounds cool, I wish there was more of that sort of thing around as well though...it is easier to find stuff now but it sometimes feels like there is a lack of tangible connection in terms of discovering new stuff. More convenient to click a youtube suggestion and hear something immediately, but not as cool as someone lending you a record to hear for the first time and waiting for the needle to drop...I collect records myself and so find things when crate-digging just because they look interesting, but usually I will wait until I get home and listen to it then rather than just risking it. Don't get me wrong though, the internet is one clearly one of the best things to ever happen to music...and I'm only 21 so too young to remember any other kind of time (when I was really into good music at least).
wow nice bro. I'd kill to be 21 again(I'm 29.) I feel like your late teens early 20's are the most intense and fun time to be a music lover, especially if you are a musician so i hope you enjoy it and keep and open mind. Its funny because at one point I was only into punk,psyche,indie music, etc and then around 20 I was introduced to alot of hard rock/psyche that i had ignored before. It wasnt that different back then. You could basically do the same thing you were talking about by going on soul seek, because alot of rare records are on there.

wow nice bro. I'd kill to be 21 again(I'm 29.) I feel like your late teens early 20's are the most intense and fun time to be a music lover, especially if you are a musician so i hope you enjoy it and keep and open mind. Its funny because at one point I was only into punk,psyche,indie music, etc and then around 20 I was introduced to alot of hard rock/psyche that i had ignored before. It wasnt that different back then. You could basically do the same thing you were talking about by going on soul seek, because alot of rare records are on there.

Yeah I can imagine that's the case...it's good because there is always so much new stuff to discover, though I imagine or hope that will remain the case even as I get older. Perhaps you become naturally less curious, I will introduce my dad to stuff whenever I am home and he will love it, but he doesn't really seek new music out...so maybe it just happens.

But I like to think I have pretty open mind when it comes to music. My love of music developed out of my love of 60s bands like a lot of teenagers, in particular Bob Dylan, so naturally that does influence my tastes and I do have a bit of a bias towards older music (60s and 70s), but I enjoy music from many different time periods and genres, so I think it's just that I happen to like what was going on in that era more than any deliberate dislike of other eras. Metal and really heavy rock is one of the only things I haven't been able to enjoy at all this far.

Yeah I can imagine that's the case...it's good because there is always so much new stuff to discover, though I imagine or hope that will remain the case even as I get older. Perhaps you become naturally less curious, I will introduce my dad to stuff whenever I am home and he will love it, but he doesn't really seek new music out...so maybe it just happens.

But I like to think I have pretty open mind when it comes to music. My love of music developed out of my love of 60s bands like a lot of teenagers, in particular Bob Dylan, so naturally that does influence my tastes and I do have a bit of a bias towards older music (60s and 70s), but I enjoy music from many different time periods and genres, so I think it's just that I happen to like what was going on in that era more than any deliberate dislike of other eras. Metal and really heavy rock is one of the only things I haven't been able to enjoy at all this far.
I hear you bro. I don't listen to much stuff past the 80s. the 60s and 70s are my favorite decades. I don't listen to much modern metal. Most of the heavy stuff I listen to is from the 70s like sabbath,alice cooper, stray, t2, stooges, mc 5 etc. you might dig this song bro

I hear you bro. I don't listen to much stuff past the 80s. the 60s and 70s are my favorite decades. I don't listen to much modern metal. Most of the heavy stuff I listen to is from the 70s like sabbath,alice cooper, stray, t2, stooges, mc 5 etc. you might dig this song bro

Yeah I dig a lot of punk, though more so proto-punk (love MC5, Stooges) or what you would call pop-punk if shit like Blink-182 hadn't taken over that term lol.. If you like that stuff you'll like these old-school Belfast punk bands I suggested to FeloniousMonk a while back - http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/117321443/

But yeah that T2 is solid, definitely digging it. Starting to get away from krautrock, but no big deal...I will return the favour with this, which I think you'll like

Back to krautrock lol...love these guys because I love indian classical music (what little I know), and love when it's blended with western rock...

@Rimbaud82 yeah I've heard dark but didnt give them a close listen. this is great. Love SLF aswell! anytime you'd like to turn me on to some cool tunes feel free to pm me!

I'm guessing for a lot of people getting into krautrock does rather make the history of modern music easier to follow, a lot of standard prog from the 70's feels like a bit of a dead end but you can draw the line from say early Pink Floyd and the Velvets though Krautrock to Punk/New Wave stuff like Public Image Limited and Talking Heads.

If you don't listen to much modern stuff I'd recommend some of the earlier post rock albums as in the same kind of area, the last couple of Talk Talk albums(which Hosianna Mantra does in retrospect seem like an obvious influence on) for example of Hex by Bark Psychosis....

That kind of stuff and the Stone Roses more rhythmic stuff like Fools Gold and Somethings Burning was what turned me onto Krautrock back in the mid 90's.

Last edited:
Back