Kovalev's purse for the Ward fight: $0

He said he wants to retire Ward. I thought he meant that if he beats him decisively Ward will have to retire.
Or I wanted to take it that way.

He said he wants to retire Ward. I thought he meant that if he beats him decisively Ward will have to retire.
Or I wanted to take it that way.
What if Ward wins and retires? I suppose it still counts, right?

Don Turner, who's still part of his camp, said yesterday that Sergey "desperately" wants to win his titles back. Then his manager, Klimas, in the first fight's promo said that those belts were like his children. They evidently mean everything to him. He was pissed about not having a guarantee, rightfully so, and will be making his cut from PPV and ticket sales. That's unfortunate but he wanted this immediate rematch more than anything. For three years Kovalev fought for free just to try and make a name for himself. I have a source for that straight from the horse's mouth. In the fight after Simakov (RIP) he donated his purse to the family and did it again when he fought in Russia last against Chilemba. So yeah, he isn't all about the money like most fighters are today, he cares more about his legacy and the respect you get when you're a champion.

Kovalev literally killed a man in the ring.
He tried to legit ruin Pascal for good in the rematch.
Now he's fighting Ward for a zero sum purse and he said several times that he doesn't just want to win, he wants Ward to never be able to fight again.

I know boxers don't really fear other boxers but damn. If I was a friend or family member of Ward I'd be shook.
Kovalev is the biggest badass in boxing right now. All that talk from Hunter about Ward going for the KO will be forgotten. When the bell goes and killer Kovalev is coming at him.

I thought Kovalev won the first fight and I think he is going to put a lot of hurt on Andre tonight. I'll go for a late TKO for Kovalev.

Don Turner, who's still part of his camp, said yesterday that Sergey "desperately" wants to win his titles back. Then his manager, Klimas, in the first fight's promo said that those belts were like his children. They evidently mean everything to him. He was pissed about not having a guarantee, rightfully so, and will be making his cut from PPV and ticket sales. That's unfortunate but he wanted this immediate rematch more than anything. For three years Kovalev fought for free just to try and make a name for himself. I have a source for that straight from the horse's mouth. In the fight after Simakov (RIP) he donated his purse to the family and did it again when he fought in Russia last against Chilemba. So yeah, he isn't all about the money like most fighters are today, he cares more about his legacy and the respect you get when you're a champion.

And thats a true champion.

Ward only came back for the payday. He doesnt even want to be there.

Kovalev probably would have even payed to get this chance.

Awesome that this fight is happening.

No coulda shoulda woulda. This it it.

The fans win.

If all that is true and not about the money, why did he back out of the purse bid with Superman. Why not jump ship to showtime when he had the chance and go get the other belt? srs. I have heard alot of excuses but looking for the truth. His contract seemed to be up and then he was grantef the purse bid lile Kathy wanted and than he back out and resigned with HBO. Was he just loyatly to HBO or something

Duva pulled the plug on it because she knew that they'd lose the purse bid. It had nothing to do with Sergey, it was her decision.

Last edited:
Kovalev is the biggest badass in boxing right now. All that talk from Hunter about Ward going for the KO will be forgotten. When the bell goes and killer Kovalev is coming at him.

I thought Kovalev won the first fight and I think he is going to put a lot of hurt on Andre tonight. I'll go for a late TKO for Kovalev.

Virgil saying that he trained Ward to KO Kovalev is just talk of course. He said only one other time did he do this and it was when Andre fought Dawson. He must've forgot that in the lead-up to the first Kovalev fight Ward had a showcase fight against Alexander Brand and was expected to put him away, admitted that he tried and said that he was disappointed that he wasn't able to. Virgil is just saying this for marketing because no Ward fans that I know from BoxingScene or here actually think Ward is going to KO Kovalev, unless they're trolling. Ward's path to victory is by decision. He might be able to score a flash knockdown but that's all I can picture from him other than grinding out a hard fought decision win.

Knowing Kov is only getting a cut of ppv and gate I bet he was fucking furious that Ward blew off the Kellerman face off.

Wonder if Ward did that on purpose while he was laughing about his 6.5 mil guarantee.

That's crazy

I understand what he comes from but someone should be looking out for his future

Damn sharks are taking huge advantage of Kov on the money end

Wow, good for Ward. Despite occasionally being a bit dramatic, he seems like a genuinely good person.

This has to be written by a woman <LikeReally5>

See the man getting big checks, all of a sudden his whole "personality" looks different. Good guy, eh? More like good catch <Y2JSmirk>

So the negotiations to get a immediate rematch was to fight for free. And he took an L

Wow, good for Ward. Despite occasionally being a bit dramatic, he seems like a genuinely good person.
I've met him a few times at my local gym. really nice guy not cocky and friendly. just seems like an average dude. he was doing mobility exercises with a trainer. in the locker room he started talking to me about filming for a movie. in hindsight it was "creed"

LOL

Poor Kovalev, hes going to make almost nothing on the gate

Poor Kovalev, hes going to make almost nothing on the gate

cd7.gif

Back