Kovalev's purse for the Ward fight: $0

I don't have much to go on (and Kovalev is obviously getting paid something for this fight), but I've long thought that Duva does Kovalev no favours. Having said that, Roc Nation seems far from competent, as well.

I don't have much to go on (and Kovalev is obviously getting paid something for this fight), but I've long thought that Duva does Kovalev no favours. Having said that, Roc Nation seems far from competent, as well.

The reality is that Main Events doesn't have the money to guarantee him a purse. Whereas Roc Nation is willing to gladly overpay Ward.

If I had to guess, they plan on giving Kovalev a percentage of the PPV buys and the gate. But then the question becomes how much is that going to be? The fight will be lucky to do 100K buys, it will probably do a smaller gate than before and by the end of if, Kovalev might walk away with less $1M.

6.5 Million seems prettty hefty for Ward. There is no way that Kovalev comes near that if hes only getting paid from receipts.

Wow, good for Ward. Despite occasionally being a bit dramatic, he seems like a genuinely good person.

The fuk?

Oh, yeah, the REAL payoff is Stevenson for the winner right??? :)_

Wow, good for Ward. Despite occasionally being a bit dramatic, he seems like a genuinely good person.

I never understood anyone actively disliking Ward. He really seems like a chill dude. Then again, I'm not really big on following athletes in their personal lives, so maybe there's tons of footage out there of him being a total douchebag, for all I know haha. But in every interview and such I saw or read, he comes across as one of the most well spoken, articulate and self aware guys in the sport. Maybe a little big on the whole Jesus thing, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Do you think Kathy gets dominated by Kovalev behind closed doors?

That's shameful! Didn't he get a guaranteed 2 million for the first fight?

Have to love kovalev in this. The only way hed get a chance at redeeming his belts and getting ward back into the ring with him was by settling for a ridiculous deal like this.

He want's it bad. Its not about money, its a pride thing. A true warrior and champion.

When Ward will hit that deck on saturday it will all be ok.

I never understood anyone actively disliking Ward. He really seems like a chill dude. Then again, I'm not really big on following athletes in their personal lives, so maybe there's tons of footage out there of him being a total douchebag, for all I know haha. But in every interview and such I saw or read, he comes across as one of the most well spoken, articulate and self aware guys in the sport. Maybe a little big on the whole Jesus thing, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Ward is just always playing victim and whinging. He seems like a solid guy other than that, but it's unlikeable.

He's neither a big enough douche like Floyd to sell by being hated or a cool enough guy like Joshua to sell by being loved. And his style isn't that exciting either.

Last edited:
Kovalev REALLY wanted this fight.
This is gonna be good.

when i saw this earlier i was sure that there had been a mistake and someone would pencil in an amount for kovalev and it would be posted later.

i cannot believe he is coming into this without a purse! and with all the buzz about GGG / Canelo and McG / May, no one is really talking about this match.

i hope kovalev not only wins, but comes out of this alright. what a god damn risk.

who would he be fighting next if he lost?

Kov purse is zero because he's getting a cut of the event. That said roc nation is going to lose a shit load of money on this sub 200k Ppv and sub 8k attendance. Ward so overpaid it's fucking dumb lol

Kov purse is zero because he's getting a cut of the event. That said roc nation is going to lose a shit load of money on this sub 200k Ppv and sub 8k attendance. Ward so overpaid it's fucking dumb lol

Roc will be out of boxing within a few years.

Roc Nation has been hemorrhaging money since they got into this business. They had Cotto on a $15-20M/ fight contract, they had Ward on a $5-6M and they're not seeing any return. There's no possible way to justify paying Ward $6.5M, which is basically Pacquiao money at this point, for a fight that's going to do likely less than 150K.

Ward is a fabrication of roc nation .. but he lost to kov.. roc nation won't survive in boxing

Kovalev literally killed a man in the ring.
He tried to legit ruin Pascal for good in the rematch.
Now he's fighting Ward for a zero sum purse and he said several times that he doesn't just want to win, he wants Ward to never be able to fight again.

I know boxers don't really fear other boxers but damn. If I was a friend or family member of Ward I'd be shook.

Last edited:
Back