Kovalev-Mikhalkin, Bivol-Barrera in Works for 3/3 at MSG Theater

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Sullivan Barrera has turned down a fight against Sergey Kovalev again.

According to an ESPN.com story posted Monday afternoon, Kovalev will make the first defense of the WBO light heavyweight title he regained last month by boxing Igor Mikhalkin on March 3 in The Theater at Madison Square Garden. The fight first was offered to Barrera, but Barrera declined for the second time in the past four months to face Kovalev.

Cuba’s Barrera (21-1, 14 KOs) is expected to instead challenge WBA light heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol (12-0, 10 KOs) on the Kovalev-Mikhalkin undercard March 3. HBO has committed to televising the Kovalev-Mikhalkin and Bivol-Barrera bouts.

http://www.boxingscene.com/kovalev-mikhalkin-bivol-barrera-works-33-msg-theater--123568

While these guys get closer and closer to unification, you have Adonis PUSSY Stevenson ducking his mandatory for 3 years straight.

PBC could have half the belts in boxing, and they'd still do no more than 1 unification per leap year and we're lucky we got to see Thurman unifiy. But what's keeping Lara, Hurd and Charlo from fighting each other?

While these guys get closer and closer to unification, you have Adonis PUSSY Stevenson ducking his mandatory for 3 years straight.

PBC could have half the belts in boxing, and they'd still do no more than 1 unification per leap year and we're lucky we got to see Thurman unifiy. But what's keeping Lara, Hurd and Charlo from fighting each other?

In fairness, it does look like we're going to see Stevenson fight a live body for the first time in awhile (who is better than his mandatory), so there is a good chance we're going to be through with him muddying the waters at LHW.

Id like to hear why Barrera/Kova didnt get done again. Wonder if theyre offering him shit money.

Stevenson-Jack is a good title fight if we can get it. Bivol-Barrera is another solid fight for Bivol's title.

Id like to hear why Barrera/Kova didnt get done again. Wonder if theyre offering him shit money.
Probably but since he could get a title shot either way maybe he thought Bivol was easier and then could bargin better after with a belt.

Probably but since he could get a title shot either way maybe he thought Bivol was easier and then could bargin better after with a belt.
Thats what I figure, and if he gets by Bivol he likely fights Kova anyway.

Bigger payday in unification for both guys. I am surprise Kova people can't see that.

Bigger payday in unification for both guys. I am surprise Kova people can't see that.

This is the buildup to the unification. Bivol has only fought twice on US television, and one of them was a undercard prelim.

Its not going to bring money if nobody knows who they are. Putting Barrerra/Bivol on the same card as Kovalev brings attention to all of them

Bivol will put a beating on Barrera, Jack was smart to duck Bivol. They don't want none of Bivol and Gvozdyk.

Barrera turned it down because he didn’t want his spinal fluid leaking out his ears

This is the buildup to the unification. Bivol has only fought twice on US television, and one of them was a undercard prelim.

Its not going to bring money if nobody knows who they are. Putting Barrerra/Bivol on the same card as Kovalev brings attention to all of them

I agree which I don't understand why they went to Barrera again before igor.

No one cares about some Kovalev mismatch. HBO is just setting him up to hopefully get beat by one of the undercard fighters later next year.

His fight is a mandatory defense of his title,I believe. Can't unify if you've been stripped.

Back