Korean Zombie reveals he's only making $ 20,000 for UFC 163 Title Bout: NEW INTERVIEW

Luckily, Jung has his own gym Korean Zombie MMA to help support him financially. It's supposedly really popular and has a lot of members.

You're acting like Jung is living on the streets of Seoul living off of change from bystanders.

MMA was at its peak in South Korea when Hong Man Choi fought Fedor Emelianenko. Hong Man Choi was a huge star in South Korea; there isn’t anyone like that anymore. TV ratings were 10% in those days, now they are barely 1-2%.

Fastest dying sport in the world.

After all the expenses, I doubt Jung banks more than $10K.

Here's what Zombie's manager said

The UFC DOES pay for airfare and hotel for the fighter + 1. However, for fighters from Korea, we have to come in at least 10 days early (2 weeks is better) in order to get used to the time difference. The UFC tickets flights (and books the hotel) for 4 or 5 days before the fight. So, the fighters from Korea (and other foreign countries) have to pay the difference in fares and the extra days for room and board.

If you assume that a fighter is going to bring, at least, their coach and a sparring partner (for KTT, they bring me as well), that means the fighter is paying for 2 extra plane tickets (usually between $1200-2000 RT from Seoul). Add in 5 or 6 days of room and board for 4-5 guys and it starts to add up! Then take out US federal and state taxes, then the guys get taxed again in Korea. Subtract paying the fees to the coach and sparring partner... and what's the fighter left with? Unless they get a bonus (or two), or are making a really good base pay, not much.

DO I GIVE A FUCK ABOUT HIS OLD CONTRACT? ITS A TITLEFIGHT GOD DAMN IT.

How demotivating is it to hear for up and coming fighters that some dude got 20k for a title fight ??!!

How motivating is it to hear for up and coming fighters that UFC champions earn 6 figures a fight guaranteed?

Fastest dying sport in the world.

After all the expenses, I doubt Jung banks more than $10K.

Here's what Zombie's manager said

I would be surprised if he even banks $10K. I do think his sponsors are helping him out with flight expenses etc.

DO I GIVE A FUCK ABOUT HIS OLD CONTRACT? ITS A TITLEFIGHT GOD DAMN IT.

How demotivating is it to hear for up and coming fighters that some dude got 20k for a title fight ??!!

Sometimes I feel like there are morea fat nerds are around sherdog and rather than amateur fighters.

Hypothetically if he loses, it'll just be 20k for all his efforts... Yeah that's really fair, even though KZ has other sources of income, but what does that say to everyone else? Edgar got his ppv, and Pettis was most likely going to get it too, but no real featherweights can't. Just another slap in the face to all the featherweights. It's the principle of the situation and it's not fair to any of the elite contenders there...

How motivating is it to hear for up and coming fighters that UFC champions earn 6 figures a fight guaranteed?

Because everyone is going to champ one day.
You dont know shit what fighters sacrifice. Fuck it im done with this forum

That's not a whole lot. I actually enjoy watching him fight so I hope the UFC will throw him a bone in the future.

What is to defend? He signed the contract, he knew exactly what he would be getting paid. He could have chosen to do something different with his time if he didn't want to accept the UFC's contract.

I'm not one who normally complains about fighter pay but I have to side with the zombie on this one.

20,000 for a title fight against Aldo is a disgrace and you know it, you can't defend that, surely.

What if KZ loses and Aldo wins the KOTN
KZ gets 20.000 with no PPV % for a title fight
he has the chance to become the best featherwegiht in the WORLD and he only makes this?

no bonus

the OTN bonuses are most guys incomes and it's disgusting to see them fight purely for a bonus.
Because they know that they get paid almost nothing without thosee bonuses

and only 4 people can get happy with thos bonuses, how many people are fighting on 1 card again? Do they get bonuses?

your payroll shouldn't be on counting how many bonuses you can get.
That's disgusting to me

Because everyone is going to champ one day.
You dont know shit what fighters sacrifice. Fuck it im done with this forum

Your e-rage gives me the lulz. Lay off the TRT, why don't ya? :icon_lol:

When you fight GSP, you get PPV money. When you fight Anderson Silva, you get paid PPV money. When you fight Jon Jones, you get PPV money. When you fight any heavyweight for a title, you get PPV money... I'm not sure about the rest, but it should be the same all the way around imo...

When you fight GSP, you get PPV money. When you fight Anderson Silva, you get paid PPV money. When you fight any heavyweight for a title, you get PPV money... I'm not sure about the rest, but it should be the same all the way around imo...

Those guys paid their dues. Korean Zombie hasn't even won the belt yet.

When you fight GSP, you get PPV money. When you fight Anderson Silva, you get paid PPV money. When you fight any heavyweight for a title, you get PPV money... I'm not sure about the rest, but it should be the same all the way around imo...

agreed. I don't understand the logic of defending the UFC. No one is asking Zombie to be paid boxing money, just a tad bit more than $ 20,000 for a friggen title shot.

This is really disgraceful. I don't see how anyone can defend the UFC. He's the friggin main event of a PPV and he is getting only $20,000..?! I don't know how anyone could defend that.

Billion dollar business and they pay their employees peanuts... This is sad.

agreed. I don't understand the logic of defending the UFC. No one is asking Zombie to be paid boxing money, just a tad bit more than $ 20,000 for a friggen title shot.

So you wouldn't be bitching if he got paid $21,000 instead of $20,000?

I'm not one who normally complains about fighter pay but I have to side with the zombie on this one.

20,000 for a title fight against Aldo is a disgrace and you know it, you can't defend that, surely.

His manager/agent is shit. You want Dana to come and go: "Here's your title shot and I'll give you 500k extra and $3 on the PPV even though you didn't ask for it."

Doesn't help that he's fighting in a class without a lot of fan interest.

You're acting like Jung is living on the streets of Seoul living off of change from bystanders.

There is no way any reasonable person thinks getting 20k to fight Aldo in a tightle fight is right.

If anything it makes the UFC look bushleague.

It seems to work though. The amount of people on here that will blindly defend him and anything the UFC does just because they're the UFC is pretty staggering. They've done a great job at creating an army of fans that will just go along with anything and everything they do.

I almost feel like those people are being paid by the UFC or something.

Uhhh, if you haven't noticed, my premise isn't about KZ anymore. It's about fighters pay in fighting for the belt. Again, it's not about the Zombie and I'm not going to repeat myself again...

And I'm not defending the UFC. It's the opposite, it's the fighters...

Back