Known Cases of Glass Jaw

Without TRT, his chin was as soft as a baby's skin. Frank Mir just hooked off the jab and that nearly KO'd him.

UFCFightNight61-AntonioSilva-FrankMir-09-Replay-sg.gif
Damn, poor guy, that punch had nothing on it. He really needs to retire, has been knocked out so many times now. In the 2nd fight with Mark Hunt the punch he got knocked out with didn't even look like it landed

He definitely needs to retire. TKO'd by a grazing blow. Compare that to their first fight when Bigfoot failed his drug test.

tumblr_mxfuglTJID1qaa8d1o4_250.gif
The different is huge. He is fighting Minakov next on june 2nd too.. madness!! Minakov is probably the best HW in MMA outside of UFC and is 19-0 and he is pretty fast for HW, Bigfoot will get smashed quick. Bigfoot has always been quite slow.. on TRT and without TRT, but as the years have gone on he has just got slower and slower and stiffer, he can barely move.

Some notable cases of glass jaw I have diagnosed.
  • Bethe Correira gets completely flatlined by one of the weakest punches I've ever seen against Rousey.
  • Mighty Mouse knocks Benavidez completely out with one punch in a division it's more likely to see a shooting star than a real KO.
  • Corey Anderson eats one of Manuwa's lighter punches and goes down like he was tasered. (Ya, ya he hit him in the temple whatever)
  • Todd Duffee dominates the whole fight and gets absolutely wrecked by a fat guy with no striking (although he did have incredible power)
  • Marvin Eastman gets knocked out cold by the air from the punch of a JJ fighter.
  • Joanna Champion gets rocked and stanky legged by a chick that trained primarily boxercise for the fight.
  • Sunny Liston gets famously knocked out by a punch that didn't even land. Being immortalized forever in history as The Godfather of glass jaws.
What are some other notable examples? I know there are plenty.

I've heard the temple thing about the Anderson fight and have racked my brain to think of another fighter that got knocked out cold by a temple shot and have came up empty.

Temple shots are certainly devistating but usually don't put you to sleep. They tend to fuck up your equalibrum and leave you on ice skates which usually ends up resulting in a KO or TKO but aren't usually a KO shot in themselves.

But of course its the one you don't see coming that does the most damage and Cory circled right into it and got caught on the blind side.

Same goes for the anchor punch against Liston (similar to the one Silva got Griffen with). Doesn't look like much but lands right on the chin of an opponent moving forward that never saw it coming.

Hard to call any HW glass jaw because anyone will be KO by a clean HW shot. Todd Duffee seems legit glass jaw because he is knocked dead when hit anywhere on the dome. Anthony Hamilton is about as bad. Other than that, there aren't many more I can think of in any weight class. Lots of people confusing glass jaw with tendency to just block punches with their face.

Behind the year is a structural strong point. It's at the base of the skull where it joins the jaw. Impact at that location is dampened by the nearby jaw muscles. The illusion that Nate has a strong chin was perpetuated by him constantly facing smaller weak strikers who have no KO power. You put him against a real KO artist like Rumble and he'll get KTFO so fast.

tell me more about how Nate Diaz would be KO'd by someone with 40 lbs of mass on him. what a glass chin, every other WW would totally eat a shot from Rumble, no problem.

Man, I hate "glass jaw" discussions. I just fought this Saturday and though I won the fight, my head is still buzzing from the punches: I've got a black eye and a wound on my forehead. You can get rocked or even ko'ed by a guy who doesn't hit all that hard if he gets the timing just right or if it hits on of the vulnerable spots in your head - espescially with mma gloves. Or, as any boxer knows, if you just get caught with something you don't see coming. I just don't understand how someone can call Nate Diaz a "glass jaw" with all the punches he took from Conor over those two fights, espescially considering how many guys McG has flatlined. Same for the reverse: Conor took a beating from Nate in the second fight, but fought through it. It's frickin' awful when you are in there taking a beating that you can't find a way to stop. These guys deserve a little respect.

The problem is, you're telling a bunch of basement dwelling, mom's meatloaf eating, mouth breathing, neckbeard wearing Sherdoggers to give respect to the gladiators actually doing the work.

Good luck.

GSP. Serra touched him with a pillow jab and he was out on his feet. Serra has a grand total of 2 KOs in his life.

Nate Diaz. Got KTFO by Josh Thomson who has like 5 TKOs in over 30 fights.

Mark Hunt. Getting KOed left and right.
you are an idiot with that list, dont know shit bout combat or the human head. Hunt got koed by shots that would put down an elephant.

I've heard the temple thing about the Anderson fight and have racked my brain to think of another fighter that got knocked out cold by a temple shot and have came up empty.

Temple shots are certainly devistating but usually don't put you to sleep. They tend to fuck up your equalibrum and leave you on ice skates which usually ends up resulting in a KO or TKO but aren't usually a KO shot in themselves.

But of course its the one you don't see coming that does the most damage and Cory circled right into it and got caught on the blind side.

Same goes for the anchor punch against Liston (similar to the one Silva got Griffen with). Doesn't look like much but lands right on the chin of an opponent moving forward that never saw it coming.

Didn't Cain get KO'ed by a JDS punch to the temple?

Didn't Cain get KO'ed by a JDS punch to the temple?

No, it was a temple shot but it just gave him rubber legs and he was finished with GNP.

Same with Cain Brock and Fedor against Fujita and Maldonado (minus the finishes obviously).

Also GSP Serra

Behind the year is a structural strong point. It's at the base of the skull where it joins the jaw. Impact at that location is dampened by the nearby jaw muscles. The illusion that Nate has a strong chin was perpetuated by him constantly facing smaller weak strikers who have no KO power. You put him against a real KO artist like Rumble and he'll get KTFO so fast.

Rumble is also 50lbs heavier?

GSP. Serra touched him with a pillow jab and he was out on his feet. Serra has a grand total of 2 KOs in his life.

Claiming that a single KO loss in a 27 professional fight career as any indication of a "glass jaw" is idiotic. Especially considering that so many of his fights took place at the highest level.

You're a fucking moron :)

No, it was a temple shot but it just gave him rubber legs and he was finished with GNP.

Same with Cain Brock and Fedor against Fujita and Maldonado (minus the finishes obviously).

Also GSP Serra
Ah right. I remember the GnP now.

The human jaw is not designed to be hit!

Top of mind is Arlovski

The first cat saying Hunto was obviously trolling, but the rest?! Holy fucking shit you must be joking?!

Some terrible examples in this thread. GSP gets tkod once and has a glass jaw? Lol

Overeem
Manhoef
Arlovski
Duffee
Guillard
Brenneman
Goulet
Mir
Schaub
Chuck (towards the end of his career, obviously had an iron chin in his prime)
Jardine
Rashad
Barboza
Barry (towards the end of his career after the Kongo KO)
Gonzaga
De Fries
Hague
Eastman
Natal
Santiago

Man, I hate "glass jaw" discussions. I just fought this Saturday and though I won the fight, my head is still buzzing from the punches: I've got a black eye and a wound on my forehead. You can get rocked or even ko'ed by a guy who doesn't hit all that hard if he gets the timing just right or if it hits one of the vulnerable spots in your head - espescially with mma gloves. Or, as any boxer knows, if you just get caught with something you don't see coming. I just don't understand how someone can call Nate Diaz a "glass jaw" with all the punches he took from Conor over those two fights, espescially considering how many guys McG has flatlined. Same for the reverse: Conor took a beating from Nate in the second fight, but fought through it. It's frickin' awful when you are in there taking a beating that you can't find a way to stop. These guys deserve a little respect.
It's subjective, but when I say a guy has a glass jaw, it's just an observation, not an insult. Some of my favorite fighters are known for having glass jaws.

Back