Knife attack in Russian city of Surgut, attacker killed by police

Well I don't know where have you seen news in which they report ethnicities? From what I've seen in Russia, most of the time Chechen terrorist/criminal from Georgia or with Georgian citizenship will be reported as Georgian, same about Azeri from Georgia, same with Kurds from Armenia etc.

Correct. However anytime I catch my father watching Russian news, the host usually says for example 'Georgian citizen of Chechen decent' or something along those lines.

Haven't saw this posted anywhere. Not sure as to why some news outlets are reporting the suspect as 'Russian' because I doubt an ethnic Russian went on a stabbing spree for ISIS. Most likely a Russian citizen from the North Caucus which is predominantly Muslim. His name hasn't been released yet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile...d/europe/russia-knife-attack-siberia.amp.html

because there is ruski, which is a member of the eastern slavic ethnicty descended from the Rus' and theres rosiyanin, which is a citizen of the russian federation. Both are translated as simply russian.

Correct. However anytime I catch my father watching Russian news, the host usually says for example 'Georgian citizen of Chechen decent' or something along those lines.
From what I can remember - in political shows or in programms about crime/criminals they sometimes mentiones ethnicity (I think in some cases, like when Gypsy does something, they mentions almost 10 out of 10 times that it was Gypsy), about news I'm not so sure. I think after that Akbarjon guy commited terroristic act back in April they did mentioned his ethnicity but I'm not sure it was in news or in political talk show about terroristic act.

because there is ruski, which is a member of the eastern slavic ethnicty descended from the Rus' and theres rosiyanin, which is a citizen of the russian federation. Both are translated as simply russian.

I'm aware of that. After all I'm from an ex Soviet Union country.

From what I can remember - in political shows or in programms about crime/criminals they sometimes mentiones ethnicity (I think in some cases, like when Gypsy does something, they mentions almost 10 out of 10 times that it was Gypsy), about news I'm not so sure. I think after that Akbarjon guy commited terroristic act back in April they did mentioned his ethnicity but I'm not sure it was in news or in political talk show about terroristic act.

In those shows they actually always mention the ethnicity. At least from the shows I watched such as 'Okna' or 'Pust Gavarat'. For instance when an Armenian police officer knocked out two other Armenians because they said something to his woman.

Back