Knee pain with squats

If you enjoy it or see some type of great benefit that you derive from it, go ahead- it's just funny to complain about.

"I'm eating 3 lbs. of onions every day, why am I getting stomach pain?"
Tons of people squat more than me and are pain free, including all the guys I lift with. I don't think squatting is the problem, more so a fixable issue that I plan on correcting so I can squat even more

~DaViD~

Probably a technique issue that gets worse once you go past 400lbs. Hard to pin point it without seeing a video of your squat. My guess is that your knees go forward once you hit the bottom of the squat thus putting extra tension on the patellar tendon.

Last edited:
Probably a technique issue that gets worse once you go past 400lbs. Hard to pin point it without seeing a video of your squat. My guess is that your knees go forward once you hit the bottom of the squat thus putting extra tension on the patellar tendon.

So?

Squatting 400 lbs instead of 200 lbs will also put extra tension on the patellar tendon. Does that mean you shouldn't squat 400 lbs?

So?

Squatting 400 lbs instead of 200 lbs will also put extra tension on the patellar tendon. Does that mean you shouldn't squat 400 lbs?

Really dude? That's what you got out of my post?

How old are you? Also, what rep ranges are you working in typically?

Take a break from squatting for a few weeks (2-3) and really work on improving the flexibility in your calves, glutes, and hams. I had a couple knee surgeries and developed what they called patella infera and other patella problems, tis simple stretching Im referring to here helped tremendously. Problem is, squatting when the calves, hams, and glutes are too tight is gonna increase shearing forces in the knee joint AND inhibit the glutes from contributing to the exercise. Also, while working on stretching those muscles, work on strengthening/activating the tibialis anterior. I strongly believe this will help.

Take a break from squatting for a few weeks (2-3) and really work on improving the flexibility in your calves, glutes, and hams. I had a couple knee surgeries and developed what they called patella infera and other patella problems, tis simple stretching Im referring to here helped tremendously. Problem is, squatting when the calves, hams, and glutes are too tight is gonna increase shearing forces in the knee joint AND inhibit the glutes from contributing to the exercise. Also, while working on stretching those muscles, work on strengthening/activating the tibialis anterior. I strongly believe this will help.

This is good.

I would say throw in some hip abductor/glute medius work too. I noticed a lot of my knee issues really improved once my abductors caught up to my hip extensors, low back, and hamstrings.

Back