Knee pain with squats

Johnsonville

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For the past few years I have been experiencing pain in my kneecaps while squatting. It literally feels like my kneecap is shredding apart and affects me drastically even post workout, where sleeping or riding in a car they still ache.

I switched over to box squats and it helped a lot but whenever I got above 400lbs they would ache again, so I'd de load and focus on forum and started getting into 15 and 20 reps for my last set so I was getting stronger, but once I got back to 400 they would fucking ache like crazy again.

Has anybody had this and find a cure? I'm considering getting knee sleeves but I took a break from barbell training and went to heavy kb snatches and Turkish get ups and my knees and mobility feel 100 times better. But I'm getting hernia surgery and want to rehab with ss to get my strength back so I'll be squatting a lot again. Thanks for any help

~DaViD~

Does it hurt directly at the kneecap? Above slightly or below? Lateral?

Film from 3 angles each: Front/Side/Back

Your 400lb squat
Your 250-300lb Squat

There may be a mechanics issue.

Tendinitis or your form is shit. One of the two.

I get swelling in my knee from time to time. I find a 5 or 10 minute warmup on the elliptical or stationary bike (with moderate resistance) work wonders.

WTF, are those your dong measurements in your sig?

Does it hurt directly at the kneecap? Above slightly or below? Lateral?

Film from 3 angles each: Front/Side/Back

Your 400lb squat
Your 250-300lb Squat

There may be a mechanics issue.
Directly on the center of my knee cap. I think it's a form breakdown at higher weight but I've been being conscious on not having my knees track over my toes. I will have time to try to correct the form while starting light back from surgery but it takes away a lot of motivation knowing when I get to real weight im gonna have the same problem. It also gets lumpy on the kneecap when it flairs up.

~DaViD~

WTF, are those your dong measurements in your sig?
Yah I've been following pegym.com's beginner routine with good results, as you can see from my stats. Pm me if you want any info on pe!

~DaViD~

Directly on the center of my knee cap. I think it's a form breakdown at higher weight but I've been being conscious on not having my knees track over my toes. I will have time to try to correct the form while starting light back from surgery but it takes away a lot of motivation knowing when I get to real weight im gonna have the same problem. It also gets lumpy on the kneecap when it flairs up.

~DaViD~
Your knees are supposed to track over your toes, just not excessively. This is probably your problem.

Your knees are supposed to track over your toes, just not excessively. This is probably your problem.
I'll have to do the videos like you said when I can lift again. The way I got to alleviate a lot of the pressure was to try spread the floor as my drive, so I do think there must be an issue with my knee tracking, but my form breaks down before the weight gets too heavy which is frustrating. I had to constantly de load due to pain rather than the weight being too heavy, I was still making linear progress so it is shitty.

Do you recommend high bar Olympic style or low bar? I've been using rippetoes technique.

~DaViD~

Yah I've been following pegym.com's beginner routine with good results, as you can see from my stats. Pm me if you want any info on pe!

~DaViD~
This quote doesn't receive the attention it deserves.

Just shitty form?

~DaViD~

It could be related to your hips putting your knees out of alignment. If your body is out of wack somewhere, the hips are usually the culprit being the center point. Your body works as a unit. If one part goes it often spills into other areas, almost like faulty scaffolding.

You have to straighten your body before your strengthen otherwise you will likely grind yourself.

This girl I'm dating, her mother had knee surgery which was suppose to fix her issues in 2016. Then she had hip surgery last month. She'll likely have to get it done again down the road because it's not addressing the underlying cause of the dysfunction in her body, only the symptoms.

Check out Egoscue on Youtube. It deals with getting your body back into the proper anatomical position. There are lots of videos from numerous Egoscue clinics covering a wide range of Egoscue sequences. Pete Egoscue, the founder, also has a book called "Pain Free" that goes into detail about injuries and how to address them if you are more of a reader.

You may have to watch these a few times for the information to sink in on what is happening with the body. Pay attention to your body if you try the exercises and you'll quickly see that you are likely off balance somewhere (most of us are).

You should be able to make a lot of improvements just with the free info you find on Youtube if you use it daily.

I'll have to do the videos like you said when I can lift again. The way I got to alleviate a lot of the pressure was to try spread the floor as my drive, so I do think there must be an issue with my knee tracking, but my form breaks down before the weight gets too heavy which is frustrating. I had to constantly de load due to pain rather than the weight being too heavy, I was still making linear progress so it is shitty.

Do you recommend high bar Olympic style or low bar? I've been using rippetoes technique.

~DaViD~
I’ve done high bar and low bar without any knee issues. When my form sucked, pain used to come in the descent of the squat rather than the ascent. You’ve got to get comfortable with good form descending the same way every time. If your knees are in a shit position and you descend slowly with heavy weight, you’re putting all kinds of snap city tension on your knee ligaments and tendons. All kinds.

I switched over to box squats and it helped a lot but whenever I got above 400lbs they would ache again

unless you're striving to compete in powerlifting/bodybuilding tournaments/meets or other athletic endeavors why are you doing 400lbs+ squats?

{<huh}

It could be related to your hips putting your knees out of alignment. If your body is out of wack somewhere, the hips are usually the culprit being the center point. Your body works as a unit. If one part goes it often spills into other areas, almost like faulty scaffolding.

You have to straighten your body before your strengthen otherwise you will likely grind yourself.

This girl I'm dating, her mother had knee surgery which was suppose to fix her issues in 2016. Then she had hip surgery last month. She'll likely have to get it done again down the road because it's not addressing the underlying cause of the dysfunction in her body, only the symptoms.

Check out Egoscue on Youtube. It deals with getting your body back into the proper anatomical position. There are lots of videos from numerous Egoscue clinics covering a wide range of Egoscue sequences. Pete Egoscue, the founder, also has a book called "Pain Free" that goes into detail about injuries and how to address them if you are more of a reader.

You may have to watch these a few times for the information to sink in on what is happening with the body. Pay attention to your body if you try the exercises and you'll quickly see that you are likely off balance somewhere (most of us are).

You should be able to make a lot of improvements just with the free info you find on Youtube if you use it daily.

This is awesome thank you

~DaViD~

I’ve done high bar and low bar without any knee issues. When my form sucked, pain used to come in the descent of the squat rather than the ascent. You’ve got to get comfortable with good form descending the same way every time. If your knees are in a shit position and you descend slowly with heavy weight, you’re putting all kinds of snap city tension on your knee ligaments and tendons. All kinds.
Alright cool thanks for the help.

~DaViD~

Back