Knee injuries from DLR guard?

akdms

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering, how hard is de la riva guard on your knees? I was talking to someone the other day and they mentioned that it can be pretty stressful with the way the leg is threaded through, which would seem to make sense, but I don't know anyone who has actually gotten a knee injury from DLR. I've seen plenty of people get injured from rubber guard, and even one from butterfly guard, but never DLR. Can anyone comment? If it is stressful, is there anything that makes the guard safer on the knees?

this is my favorite open guard and I have a very bad left knee, (which is the one I usually use to hook) I haven't had any problems so far.

If you are controlling the ankle it can be very dangerous to your oppenents knee.

I used to think this way before I started with DLR, but after using it I understand that there is no pressure on the knee at all if your hips are scooted at the correct angle. If you don't scoot your hips out and you try to force it in, than you will strain the knee, but that really shouldn't happen. No more dangerous than doing a leg curl.

Ironically, my most recent knee injury came when my dumb ass tried to pull a guillotine when I still had the DLR hook in. I pulled my knee into the wrong position and I dragged a 170 pound man on top of it. Agony like you wouldn't believe.

But yea, the de la riva guard is safe.:redface:

As the above poster said, it's dangerous if you are playing DLR from a poor angle. Then again, so is every position. ;]

Well if you get in an uncomfortable position it should be pretty easy to just pop the hook out and continue doing something else. I would think it could be more dangerous for the standing guy because if you pull his ankle and stretch the hook real hard it can have a knee-reaping action.

as other said DLR isn't inherently dangerous, but there are safer alternatives, like butterfly (tilt on the side of the bad knee) and especially half guard (bad knee between legs).

Back