King Zulu

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by pooknicca, Nov 10, 2017.

1. pooknicca Green Belt

pooknicca
    So like most people I discovered Rei Zulu through his fights with Rickson Gracie and was always fascinated by his story and fight style. Although by today's standards he wouldn't be considered a very skillful fighter back then he was an a powerful and intimidating fighter with big slams and showmanship to go along with it.

Although he has an official mma record of 2-8 many of his fights went undocumented. I came across a pretty cool highlight that contains many of these fights that aren't on his official record. Cheers to the OGs of the sport, enjoy!

2. TheGZA Excellent! But not good.

TheGZA
    Rickson by armbar.

KOskater likes this.
  3. pooknicca Green Belt

pooknicca
  4. noizer Red Belt

noizer
    a beast back in those days and forgotten over time by many mma and no holds barred fans . understandable as he was succesfull in a time when mma didnt even exist yet.

thanks for this highlight.

5. Roukas Double Yellow Card

Roukas
    Brutal slams and standing guillotine

ZULU was a monster

6. RizinSon88 DoubleDawg SEC Title Belt

RizinSon88
    Nice find! There is always a transitional fight where one era is closed and another begins, this is a good view of what came before the whole Gracie era. The way those guys were striking is curious.

(there was never a Machida era)

pooknicca likes this.
  7. pooknicca Green Belt

pooknicca
    Oh no problem, I always check every few months or so to see what old school fights I can come across. I'd like to see if their are some older fights of Marco Ruas as well.

8. manboy<3 don't card me bro

manboy<3
    He was a pro wrestler that had legit skills by the standards of those times

that era of vale Tudo was simillar to the "No holds Barred" Type of wrestling in the U.S.A in the 1920s etc

No one knows what his actual record is to be honest but he could have easily put a beating on most people including the gracies back then

You give this guy some money and he will not only lose but put on a show which makes him a perfect Gracie opponent

I would have liked to see him in a real (ie not fixed) fight against a prime Abdullah the butcher

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Egnuldt and pooknicca like this.
  9. pooknicca Green Belt

pooknicca
    Yea I always find it fascinating the effectiveness or lack thereof of traditional martial arts back then. Also it's interesting how Zulu seemed to prefer throwing open handed strikes as opposed to punches. Maybe to prevent himself from breaking his hands since gloves weren't a thing at that time.

10. pooknicca Green Belt

pooknicca
    Yes that's the perfect way to describe his ringmanship, very old school pro wrestling esq.
    I also agree how he's the perfect opponent for a Gracie, he's entertaining and was willing to take a fight to the ground but lacked submission defense.

manboy<3 likes this.
  11. pooknicca Green Belt

pooknicca
    Such a shame Zuluzinho couldn't become a better version of him.

DooHoChoi, Brockoli and Strychnine like this.
  12. Roukas Double Yellow Card

Roukas
    Imagine prime ZULU vs NGANNOU right now. 2 fucking mammoths of the cage

pooknicca likes this.
  13. pooknicca Green Belt

pooknicca
    I don't see that fight going well for Zulu. I don't think Zulu's boxing defense would've held up too well to Ngannou's combinations. Not to mention I think Ngannou would match Zulu in the strength and power department.

Roukas likes this.
  14. ticho123 Black Belt

ticho123
    Not to be that guy but the striking makes it look fake as fuck. Something with the rule-set? I mean, the fights are from like the 1980s, not ancient babylonian times - people knew how to box or at least how to throw a punch. I think with MMA being such a young sport we sometimes forget that the martial arts its made up of are way older. 1980 is relatively recent in boxing.

15. pooknicca Green Belt

pooknicca
    Think about it in a sense of comparing it to the fighters of the early UFCs. There were many striking based fighters whos striking looked horrendous then yet were supposed black belts and such of their respective arts. The fighters back then in the vale tudo days just didn't have the striking discipline they have today.

16. ticho123 Black Belt

ticho123
    I've seen the old UFCs. Those fighters really swung for the fences and generally looked awful striking, but I've never seen the kind of WWE love-taps from the Zulu video. These are supposedly people experienced and comfortable fighting vale tudo as well. Either it's something with the rule set or it's exhibition matches. I refuse to believe any fighter at any level would genuinely strike like that.

Egnuldt likes this.
  17. pooknicca Green Belt

pooknicca
    I respect your opinion but I honestly don't see how their striking was any better than the Fred Ettish's and Robert Lucarelli's of the sport. In the highlight it's difficult to tell because most of the striking shown is Zulu who used open handed strikes but if you look up his fights this wasn't the case with his opponents (I.e. James Adler knocking him out with a punch).

However with his fight with Rickson, at least the one videoed I do feel like it was an exhibition bout because there were literally no strikes thrown.

Egnuldt likes this.
  18. ticho123 Black Belt

ticho123
    Well, Ettis was completely cluelessed, pulled in as a reserve with a background in some shitty mcdojo while Zulu was an experienced full contact fighter with a ton of matches under his belt. A lot of them were real Im sure, but the weird strikes and exaggerated slams lead me to believe quite a few very semi-fake shoots as well, which is natural given early MMAs close relation to pro-wrestling.

Brockoli likes this.
  19. Roukas Double Yellow Card

Roukas
    bare knuckle they weren't wearing gloves so U can't just strike like u would in a boxing match or else you can break ur hands very easily

20. DaPunkMinowaMan #Pancrase[1990s] / Rings / Vale Tudo[1920s-80s]

DaPunkMinowaMan
    Pb is that, back in the days, dudes would only fight him with special rules (see the [strange] Rickson fights).

People must also remember that he was born in 1947(probably earlier), and these vidz are mini. from the 1980s,way past his physical prime...

pooknicca likes this.