King VS. Twins

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Kellogg's, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Kellogg's Green Belt

Kellogg's
    Hello!

I've recently started practicing muay thai and since the equipment at the gym smells like an anchovy's snatch I have decided to invest in some glvoes and pads of my own.

My main concern are shin pads (since I already bought cheap 10oz placeholder gloves).
    I've also decided that I'll be buying them at an eBay store (Fight Stuff UK) and they only carry stuff by King and Twins.

Now I have already used Twins guards (the ones they have at the gym). The problem with them is that the foot part of the guard brushes against my toes and since I problably have a minor fracture in my left big toe and right second to big toe it's quite uncomfortable.
    But I think that can be circumnavigated if I buy a size larger than the ones at the gym.

The Kings look flashier, have nice extras and extra padding.

After buying the shin pads I'll buy new gloves in about a month or so (the same brand as the pads- so they would match which would be good in an esthetical way) so I'd like to know the main differences between the gloves also

Focus: KING gloves and pads (pros, cons)
    TWINS gloves and pads (pros, cons)

Thank you inadvance.

2. tiger.shark To the sharks!

tiger.shark
    For sparring if you only have 10oz "placeholder" gloves I would say those are equally important in terms of concern as the shin guards.

For sparring my shin guards and gloves are from kofightgear.com

But I recently ordered some King bag gloves from Fight Stuff and I can't wait to get them. (I know that isn't helpful, but check out KO for gear!)

3. joeyd77 Orange Belt

joeyd77
    I have Twins shinguards and 16 oz gloves.

The shinguards are great because I feel like I could kick a brick wall and not feel it. The thing I don't like about them is the same thing you don't like: the long foot pad. It is annoying but after time you'll get used to it, I did.

The Twins 16oz gloves are great. I really have no complaints about them at all. The quality is top notch and they're soft enough to spar with but durable enough for years of abuse.

I have no experience with king but I know you can't go wrong with Twins.

4. fightstuff Green Belt

fightstuff
    in my view when it comes to boxing gloves and shin pads King are better. they seem to be better designed and more comfortable than Twins. Twins do produce good quality stuff, but I just think King have the edge on the ergonomics of their stuff. However my concern is if you buy the King shin guards. You are going to hit the same problem with the foot protector you have experienced with Twins. You need something with a softer leather which would be the Twins SGL-3. any questions just give me a shout.

5. deluxeMT Orange Belt

deluxeMT
    I just got a pair of King 10oz gloves, and they're very sexy. Real tight hand compartment, and they do up very tight at the wrist thanks to the hook and loop + elastic cuff, which I like a lot (especially since I have small wrists). They generally feel like a very supportive glove. Additionally I'd say I think the padding is more firm than Twins gloves.

Also, the cuff is longer, making them a slightly more 'boxing' style glove than some of the shorter cuffed MT gloves. But I don't think it's so long that it'll cause problems, regardless I won't be using my 10oz gloves for clinch work so don't need the extra wrist mobility.

In terms of my new 16oz gloves, previously I had Twins (but they're getting pretty mank, still in good condition though), I contemplated getting King 16oz gloves too, but wasn't as much of a fan of the bigger King gloves as I was of the smaller ones. Instead I opted for Boonsport 16oz gloves, which were beautiful, comfortable, and are probably the best made gloves I've ever had the pleasure of wearing. This doesn't really help you at all, just thought I'd throw it out there. Also noted the padding on the Boons is a fair bit harder than my Twins, unfortunately slightly less caring on my sparring partners.

Boons also feature a reasonably long cuff compared to Twins.

Shin-guard wise, I used to own Twins, but I got pissed at the fact that they're so huge and bulky. Despite the fact that they are huge, they don't actually offer much, or any greater protection than smaller guards. Personally I opted for a pair of Windy pro shin guards for my next pair, since they're lighter than my Twins, and only over protection where I want it (namely right down the middle of the shin). I did check out the King shin-guards, and they are also very very nice. One thing I believe they have over a number of the rivals, is if sized correctly, they do fit very high on the shit, giving you protection right up to the bottom of the knee, but whether you like that or not is personal preference.

6. millasur Blue Belt

millasur
    +1 to Twins shins being very bulky and generally large. I swear a horse could wear them for leg protection. i also have the Windy ones with the extra protection down the middle of the shin. Maybe my shins have been overworked recently but I have been feeling it lol. A happy purchase neways.

7. fightstuff Green Belt

fightstuff
    yeah i know what you are saying with the twins shin pads. However they have another version, which are the SGL-3s. They are lighter and less bulky.

8. deluxeMT Orange Belt

deluxeMT
    Yeah I saw a pair of the SGL-3's here at the gym I'm staying at in Thailand at the moment, and I'm a bigger fan of them. But I still prefer the Windy's over the SGL-3's :p Only annoying feature with the Windy's is when I do the bottom strap up tight, theres about an extra 4" that I don't want, might look at getting the strap shortened.

9. OwMyArm lost in the internets

OwMyArm
    this made me lol

10. Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi
    I love my Boon shin guards. But this summer when I go to Thailand I am getting a pair of King shins guards. I love how they look.

[​IMG]

11. Kellogg's Green Belt

Kellogg's
    I'm shying away from Kings since about 85% of my gym are wearing them (especially after x-mas) and I never like to feel "mainstream". It's probably just my 19-year-old-post-pubescent psychology but whatever.

Another thing I don't like about them is that they are built like a tank, you can't feel anything. I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, I kinda enjoy the pain in my shins, knuckles and joints. Almost like a sense of achievement.
    So I'll probably go for the twins light shin guards (if Fight Stuff UK has them without that silly tribal-dragon-look-at-me-wohoo graphics).

12. Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

Mark Limbaga
    they're made by the same company.

Here's my take on the gloves

if you want better wrist support, go for king

if you need better knuckle support, go for twins

13. Centaur Black Belt

Centaur
    I've used both Kings Shinguards and Twins -
    This is from another post I just made:

The Kings were more comfortable, never even noticed any shafing or moving around. My Twins are pretty good too, but if Kings have fixed thevelcro now (which I believe they did) I'd go with them.

14. mvisit1 Blue Belt

mvisit1
    I've also heard they are both made by the same company that makes Windy. It goes like this King>Windy>Twins if I'm not mistaken. I've heard that the Kings have a longer cuff than most Thai gloves so they would have better wrist support. However I've heard differently than BabyPhenom on the Twins and knuckle support. I seem to remember a thread wear at least 2 different people complained of their knuckles hurting like hell after hitting the mitts with Twins gloves on.

15. monsieur_jj Purple Belt

monsieur_jj
    IMO buy the cheapest cause quality is almost the same and unnoticeable. But if money is no object go for kings.
    TWINS>WINDY material wise, design wise i have to go with windy especially their mma thumbless gloves same cut as fairtex.

16. Centaur Black Belt

Centaur
    I know what ya mean, but wait till your in your 30's. It isn't quite the same (though I still like it!)

17. Centaur Black Belt

Centaur
    Yep, for gloves, I'm pretty sure John (FS) said Twins had a better grade of leather.

18. Kellogg's Green Belt

Kellogg's
    On a side note, how do you like the straps on your pads (hook and loop or strap-on-strap?)

I've been told that most prefer the hook and loop system but for me, maybe it was just the pair at my gym, but it seemed that it was either too uncomfartable or gets kicked loose.

19. AlexeyDnepr White Belt

AlexeyDnepr
    What's better - Top King Shin Guards TKSGPGL or Twins Shin Guards SGL-10?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Mbdiablo White Belt

Mbdiablo
    You can buy king shin guards or fairtex sp7, sp5
    Fairtex bgv1 non breathable 16 oz