kimura trap

Is there actually a reason everyone has started saying kimura trap instead of kimura? Is there a difference because it seems odd to lengthen the name for no reason?

Is there actually a reason everyone has started saying kimura trap instead of kimura? Is there a difference because it seems odd to lengthen the name for no reason?
The kimura trap name has been around for a long time and was an old dvd set. I think a lot of people say kimura trap, kimura grip, or kimura positon, because if you just say kimura than a lot of people (especially newer grapplers) may think you're referencing the submission and not the position itself that is frequently used to takedown, sweep, pass, take the back, and transition to various submissions.

Yeah basically that. Rafa catches the front headlock from the top (half guard, RDLR, butterfly guard to name a few) and flips over to where he has the upside down front headlock position and from there he has a system (that he often teaches as an infinity drill) where he traps the arm and then chains back and forth between the anaconda, the darce, and the arm-in guillotine all without ever disconnecting his arms. Out of those 3 chokes he usually goes to the anaconda first but not always. Also sometimes he will use the position to go to the crucifix or get on top for the guard pass. Galvao, Calasans, and Frazatto use the position a lot too. It was one of the signature Atos techniques in the late 00's.

yeah iv never seen him do the crucifix really i wonder what his take on it is

yeah iv never seen him do the crucifix really i wonder what his take on it is
For the crucifix he seems to use the kimura grip on the close arm and attacking that arm instead of using the seatbelt grip around their back to go for chokes.

Yeah basically that. Rafa catches the front headlock from the top (half guard, RDLR, butterfly guard to name a few) and flips over to where he has the upside down front headlock position and from there he has a system (that he often teaches as an infinity drill) where he traps the arm and then chains back and forth between the anaconda, the darce, and the arm-in guillotine all without ever disconnecting his arms. Out of those 3 chokes he usually goes to the anaconda first but not always. Also sometimes he will use the position to go to the crucifix or get on top for the guard pass. Galvao, Calasans, and Frazatto use the position a lot too. It was one of the signature Atos techniques in the late 00's.

Any recommendations for content on this?
I was a member of the Mendes Bros site for a while, and only saw a few setups/finishes for the anaconda being taught by Rafa.

Any recommendations for content on this?
I was a member of the Mendes Bros site for a while, and only saw a few setups/finishes for the anaconda being taught by Rafa.
Funny timing on this. I was going to say that I have a few Mendes Bros Online videos saved from before they went to the new format and one was Rafa showing the infinity drill where he goes back and forth between the anaconda and the darce without ever letting go of the legs trapping their arm or disconnecting his hands. It's on a thumb drive somewhere and I'll find it then upload it and tag you.

But today actually it looks like Lachlan Giles (Craig Jones' coach) released a product on BJJ Fanatics on no-gi chokes, and Giles' entire no-gi choke game is basically that system of catching the front head and arm and finishing with a guillotine/darce/anaconda/Japanese necktie/north south choke depending on how the other person reacts. That "Rafa hub" (that sort of inverted north south front headlock) is a huge part of Giles' system and a focus of the instructional. I haven;'t seen it but Giles is a great teacher and here's the chapter list and a video of him using the system that the instructional focuses on.

DVDwrap-1-4_1_dc1f84dd-0b09-440f-86e2-a9d9155932b4_1024x1024.jpg

@tekkenfan you mentioned interest in a front headlock instructional so you might like this too.

Last edited:
Funny timing on this. I was going to say that I have a few Mendes Bros Online videos saved from before they went to the new format and one was Rafa showing the infinity drill where he goes back and forth between the anaconda and the darce without ever letting go of the legs trapping their arm or disconnecting his hands. It's on a thumb drive somewhere and I'll find it then upload it and tag you.

But today actually it looks like Lachlan Giles (Craig Jones' coach) released a product on BJJ Fanatics on no-gi chokes, and Giles' entire no-gi choke game is basically that system of catching the front head and arm and finishing with a guillotine/darce/anaconda/Japanese necktie/north south choke depending on how the other person reacts. That "Rafa hub" (that sort of inverted north south front headlock) is a huge part of Giles' system and a focus of the instructional. I haven;'t seen it but Giles is a great teacher and here's the chapter list and a video of him using the system that the instructional focuses on.

DVDwrap-1-4_1_dc1f84dd-0b09-440f-86e2-a9d9155932b4_1024x1024.jpg

@tekkenfan you mentioned interest in a front headlock instructional so you might like this too.

wtf is this brand new? i never seen this before man they never tell guys whats coming out dvds just come out randomly id love to have some warning room especially those who buy them people dont always have 100 bucks to blow right off the bat

Last edited:
wtf is this brand new? i never seen this before man they never tell guys whats coming out dvds just come out randomly id love to have some warning room especially those who buy them people dont always have 100 bucks to blow right off the bat
It came out today so yeah it's brand new. B-)

Giles has been promoting it a little bit on his youtube channel for a couple of months now but he did not know the exact release date. It should be 60-70 USD if you google BJJ Fanatics discount code and use one that pops up.

I don't have the money to check it out now but I will get it this summer. I like what Giles and Craig Jones are doing and want to support their stuff. It's quality.

It came out today so yeah it's brand new. B-)

Giles has been promoting it a little bit on his youtube channel for a couple of months now but he did not know the exact release date. It should be 60-70 USD if you google BJJ Fanatics discount code and use one that pops up.

I don't have the money to check it out now but I will get it this summer. I like what Giles and Craig Jones are doing and want to support their stuff. It's quality.

yeah i wana get very good at front head locks guys today love to turtle to defend passes and its great for mma as well i normally would just spin to the back but i wana develop a good choking game from there as welll

head and arm guillotine is a huge part of my game like josh hinger i wana develop a strong anaconda darce attack game with it
That's very smart. Once you have that head and arm loop you should be able to get them with 1 of those 3. Once they're in your loop don't let them out and release your grips until they tap to one of those. That triple threat is such a good skill to have especially these days.

Back